2024 NFL free agency/off season thread

closetohumping

On 7/28/2024 at 7:18 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

$55 million a year for Love. Lol. At some point the position players will force a change during collective bargaining. Not sure what can realistically be done. 

There was some talk from owners side a while back of the QB position being separate from the team salary cap. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

They need to hammer out a salary cap for QBs. Is Dak not going to play for $25 mil? Of course he will. So will all the rest.

You just have a rule that no single player can earn more than x% of the cap.

Good luck in getting that through the NFLPA....  Not likely unless the owners gave up something really, really juicy....

Good luck in getting that through the NFLPA....  Not likely unless the owners gave up something really, really juicy....

That’s 20 big name big $ QBs against the rank and file many of whom make less than a mil. It’s obvious the owners can’t help themselves in regards to QB salaries so they usually come up with things like a rookie cap and the salary cap.

I would do away with void years first. That alone could fix the issue as it games the system. And would force front offices to deal with real money against real contracts.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/30/2024 at 12:38 AM, Texzilla588 said:

That’s 20 big name big $ QBs against the rank and file many of whom make less than a mil. It’s obvious the owners can’t help themselves in regards to QB salaries so they usually come up with things like a rookie cap and the salary cap.

I would do away with void years first. That alone could fix the issue as it games the system. And would force front offices to deal with real money against real contracts.

They should also suggest a high/double minimum salary to coincide with a QB cap

Make it QBs vs everyone else, it’s all the same money to the teams so no need to offer a concession for that 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2024 at 4:46 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

As others have said, it’s the same amount of money being spent by owners, it just goes to the other 96% of non-QB players in the NFLPA. You’d think it would pass easily. 

On 7/30/2024 at 11:45 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

How is that dumb? You’re fucking dumb for not realizing they have to implement those rules for the new alignments on kickoffs. New kickoffs are going to be so much better than watching 92% of kickoffs be touchbacks. 

Surprise onside kicks are rare, but they are exciting as shit and force receiving teams to stay on their toes. They should’ve/could’ve got some smart people together and came up with a wrinkle like if the ball drops anywhere 5 yards past where the kicking team lines up, it’s a live ball that can be recovered by the kicking team. Instead they were lazy and and copy pasted the XFL rule. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

As others have said, it’s the same amount of money being spent by owners, it just goes to the other 96% of non-QB players in the NFLPA. You’d think it would pass easily. 

Surprise onside kicks are rare, but they are exciting as shit and force receiving teams to stay on their toes. They should’ve/could’ve got some smart people together and came up with a wrinkle like if the ball drops anywhere 5 yards past where the kicking team lines up, it’s a live ball that can be recovered by the kicking team. Instead they were lazy and and copy pasted the XFL rule. 

To be fair XFL alignment and kickoff was brilliant. Props to them for coming up with it. 

I’ll go back and listen to the saints S/T coordinator interview but he said the last surprise onside kick was 2019 and obviously before that was the Super Bowl one 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I’ll trade a surprise onside kick once per decade for ceremonial kickoffs thru the endzone. The new rule makes the kickoff something to watch for the first time Simone they banned the flying wedge around 1908.

I wish the nfl would adopt the AAFL replay setup. It was brilliant and efficient and quick. Ow ers will never pay for it.

8 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I’ll trade a surprise onside kick once per decade for ceremonial kickoffs thru the endzone. The new rule makes the kickoff something to watch for the first time Simone they banned the flying wedge around 1908.

I wish the nfl would adopt the AAFL replay setup. It was brilliant and efficient and quick. Ow ers will never pay for it.

My point was it doesn’t have to be either/or. They could have worked an onside element into the new format but they are lazy. 

22 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

The current onside rules remain. One has to declare as the player have to now line up back at the 35 with the kicker. Same shitty odds as always of success. I’d rather see a scrimmage play myself.

This. It’s dumb you can’t use a play unless you’re losing in the 4th. There’s no more surprise element which are the only memorable ones. 

But it hasn’t had a surprise element in years. When they mandated balanced lines and no movement before the kick it died. I agree you should be able to announce an onside kick anytime you want. So now it remains a mostly dead play so leave it as a choice anytime and it goes the way of the drop kick. I’d add the option of a fourth and 15 option from your 35. That adds way more excitement and way more opportunity for success. It fails and other team starts where downed inside your 50.

Panthers looked like shit against pats last night in pouring rain. Landed at 2am and plane slid off runway. Tepper’s so cheap they probably had to take the air slide and wait in the rain to drag their bags down the tarmac. Great start to season.