2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

48 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

In 1943, Josh Gibson is credited with a career high 116 hits, the only time he is credited with more than 100 hits in a season, on his way to a .466 batting average. Unfortunately he didn’t win the batting title that year…Tetelo Vargas pounded out a .471 average to take home the crown and the title of the greatest hitter in mlb single season history.

Yeah they took the crown from the far more deserving *checks notes* Hugh Duffy, who had set the record in 1894. By your own admission that was well before reliable record keeping. 

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

In 1943, Josh Gibson is credited with a career high 116 hits, the only time he is credited with more than 100 hits in a season, on his way to a .466 batting average. Unfortunately he didn’t win the batting title that year…Tetelo Vargas pounded out a .471 average to take home the crown and the title of the greatest hitter in mlb single season history.

Vargas is widely regarded as the greatest player ever from the Caribbean.  The baseball stadium in San Pedro de Macoris is named for him.  He's literally the Caribbean Ted Williams.

Edited by Beau Vine

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I’m pretty confident that since ~1925 the records are pretty accurate. Pre-1920s records should be struck imo. I get your point however.

People find mistakes all the time.  The 1961 AL RBI title was found to be wrong about 15 years ago.  

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hard to believe that gallo actually got a hit ….

3putt: Surly’s own Carlos Mencia

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Good to know that Joey Gallo can actually hit on something. 

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Livvy knows how to pick ‘em. Skenes through his first 4 starts: 22 IP, 30 SO, 2.45 ERA, 0.91 WHIP.  They’re going to be very rich someday. 

If they are together at this time next year I'll eat my shoe.

58 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Livvy knows how to pick ‘em. Skenes through his first 4 starts: 22 IP, 30 SO, 2.45 ERA, 0.91 WHIP.  They’re going to be very rich someday. 

If she doesn’t currently make more money than him it’s very close. She had I believe the highest NIL earnings out of anyone 

5 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

She’s third being Deion’s kid and Bronny James.

Well now I’m pissed at my dad for not being famous, I could’ve made so much money. 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_0481.png

I’d eat a hot dog out of it 

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If she doesn’t currently make more money than him it’s very close. She had I believe the highest NIL earnings out of anyone 

She definitely wins on annual earnings. Skenes got a $9M signing bonus but has a salary of only $575K/yr. A lot can happen between now and a big contract but his early trajectory is certainly promising. 

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Runner Interference talk not going away this time Soto in Anaheim.

i don’t really know the rule but I definitely don’t know what else a guy is supposed to do 

Not shoulder checking the SS like it was a drunken Surly tailgate is one option. 

• Drool 1

Lol. Of course everyone is blaming Soto because he plays for the Yankees. It was a bullshit call. He had no route back to the bag and he didn’t “shoulder check” anyone. His hip barely grazed the SS and he completely flopped. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Lol. Of course everyone is blaming Soto because he plays for the Yankees. It was a bullshit call. He had no route back to the bag and he didn’t “shoulder check” anyone. His hip barely grazed the SS and he completely flopped. 

Go review the rules of baseball. It is the runner’s obligation to avoid contact with any fielder trying to make a play even if they are in the base path. He either had to run around him in a non-direct line, or get out. Those were his choices. Going straight to the bag and contacting the fielder is interference. People should learn interference and obstruction rules by 7U. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Go review the rules of baseball. It is the runner’s obligation to avoid contact with any fielder trying to make a play even if they are in the base path. He either had to run around him in a non-direct line, or get out. Those were his choices. Going straight to the bag and contacting the fielder is interference. People should learn interference and obstruction rules by 7U. 

Does that include coming off the base that he's standing on? There needs to be a halo rule for the bases or else you'll get fielders leaning into this just to get a call.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does that include coming off the base that he's standing on? There needs to be a halo rule for the bases or else you'll get fielders leaning into this just to get a call.

I don’t believe a runner on a base is required to move. In this play, the runner left 2B then contacted the fielder while returning to the base. 

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I don’t believe a runner on a base is required to move. In this play, the runner left 2B then contacted the fielder while returning to the base. 

Contact initiated while runner was back on base though in this case. Pitcher last minute adjusted to initiate that contact while runner was standing still on base.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes, because this is a brand new rule that fielders haven't quite figured out how to exploit.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Contact initiated while runner was back on base though in this case. Pitcher last minute adjusted to initiate that contact while runner was standing still on base.

IMG_0857.thumb.jpeg.b261734743e5e4a8a49c1a45e51fbd0d.jpeg

Looks like contact before Soto is touching the bag. He’s in a tough spot either way.  If he had got back to the bag first by stepping or sliding, if the umpire felt like he was moving and not trying to avoid contact, he’s going to get called out. Kind of stupid on an infield fly rule since the batter is out, but I guess an egregious interference could result in a loose ball and a runner scoring, so that’s why it’s a rule. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

IMG_0857.thumb.jpeg.b261734743e5e4a8a49c1a45e51fbd0d.jpeg

Looks like contact before Soto is touching the bag. He’s in a tough spot either way.  If he had got back to the bag first by stepping or sliding, if the umpire felt like he was moving and not trying to avoid contact, he’s going to get called out. Kind of stupid on an infield fly rule since the batter is out, but I guess an egregious interference could result in a loose ball and a runner scoring, so that’s why it’s a rule. 

My screenshot shows him clearly on base trying to avoid contact. The SS definitely misplayed the popup and that's why he had to backpaddle

image.png.88170b5e3de8dbd15931a1b0cdf609e7.png

Regardless there needs to be a halo around the bags, period.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Jenny Cavner is not good at this:

lots of people have been complaining about her all season, and plenty of others have stepped in to say that she’s only being criticized because she’s a woman, but the truth is she sucks. that “clever” word play is her shtick, and he does that stupid shit throughout the entirety of every broadcast. she seriously is the lowell galindo of mlb broadcasting, and it’s kind of infuriating, because if you care about progress for women *at all* then you don’t want the first prominent female radio broadcaster to be some overly eager try-hard with an actual shtick that she never strays from. she’s either related to someone important, or the people who gave her that gig did so purposely just to stick it to women.

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Drool 1