2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

Again not MLB but fuck it. Texas 6A state softball championship game, Weslaco Panthers enter the bottom of the seventh down 11-4. They score 8 runs in the inning and win it on a walk-off grand slam, 12-11. I believe they’re the first RGV school to ever win a state title in any girls sport. Family group chat is going nuts. Light up the Tinaco @TheBryMan81

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Again not MLB but fuck it. Texas 6A state softball championship game, Weslaco Panthers enter the bottom of the seventh down 11-4. They score 8 runs in the inning and win it on a walk-off grand slam, 12-11. I believe they’re the first RGV school to ever win a state title in any girls sport. Family group chat is going nuts. Light up the Tinaco @TheBryMan81

I posted a little about the semi final game over on the softball board. 

5-3 in 13 innings last night over #1 Denton Guyer! 

Down 7-3...Waco hits two home runs in top 7 to go up 9-3. Weslaco rallies for 8 runs and a walk off grand slam to win the state championship. What a game.

Weslaco doesn't have any D-1 recruits that I know of, Waco has an A&M signee (ranked #13 player in the country) and a Baylor signee. But Weslaco is bringing it home to the RGV!

#PuroPinche956!

• Hook 'Em 1

The 2 early Negro League greats who pioneered integration. Both in their prime and both HOFers

Larry Doby
Last year in NL: .365/.437/.592/1.030
First year in MLB: .301/.384/.490/.873

Jackie Robinson
Last year in NL: .375/.449/.600/1.049
First year in MLB: .297/.383/.427/.810

I don’t think you can find one instance of an established player coming from the NL and even coming close to equaling their stats in the MLB.

These players are great and had to go through hell to finally integrate the game. But it wasn’t the same level of competition.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The 2 early Negro League greats who pioneered integration. Both in their prime and both HOFers

Larry Doby

Jackie Robinson

I don’t think you can find one instance of an established player coming from the NL and even coming close to equaling their stats in the MLB.

These players are great and had to go through hell to finally integrate the game. But it wasn’t the same level of competition.

Show us on the doll where Negro League stats getting recognized touched you.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Larry Doby

Jackie Robinson

Weren't you telling us earlier how those NL stats are completely unreliable?

Edited by Beau Vine

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I found three -- what do I win?

Monte Irvin:

Last year in NL: .272/.360/.424/.784
First year in MLB: .299/.392/.497/.889

Elston Howard:

Last year in NL: .250/.286/.425/.711
First year in MLB: .290/.336/.477/.812

Minnie Minoso:

Last year in NL: .344/.380/.548/.927
First year in MLB: .326/.422/.500/.922

• Hook 'Em 4

Elston Howard was such a badass. Didn’t start playing organized baseball until he was 17 years old. Was discovered by a St Louis Braves scout that was scouting the sandlots in the black neighborhoods of St Louis for players. He was a standout football player as well and had several Big 10 offers.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Also major lulz at the AL West. Look at their record against winning teams. What a heap of garbage. For comparison the Yankees are 12-8 & the Orioles are 18-7 against such teams.

IMG_4481.jpeg.a39321598066de94ebe6e40fd22312a2.jpeg

We beat up on each other!

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Last one, BeNintendo is hurt too. 

The IL placement is yet another bad turn in Benintendi’s star-crossed tenure with the White Sox.  He signed a five-year, $75MM free agent deal with Chicago in the 2022-23 offseason, but then hit only .262/.326/.356 over 621 plate appearances last year.  The follow-up has been even worse, as Benintendi’s .195/.230/.284 slash line over 200 PA in 2024 has given him the lowest fWAR (-1.6) of any qualified player in baseball.  While there are still over three and a half years remaining on Benintendi’s deal, the largest contract in White Sox history is already looking like an albatross, which isn’t great news for a rebuilding Sox team that will be trying to move as much veteran talent as possible in order to reload with younger players. 

48 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Well, front-runner for 2nd to his OF buddy to his right. 

My argument, if there is or will eventually be one to be made, is that Soto is the engine making everything go. Volpe is having a much better year with Soto behind him and Judge is benefitting hitting behind him. Even Stanton has managed to remain upright this year. You take Soto out of the lineup and the Yanks are right where they were last year. 

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Benintendi’s .195/.230/.284 slash line over 200 PA in 2024 has given him the lowest fWAR (-1.6) of any qualified player in baseball.

You gotta be some kind of shitty to have a lower WAR than Abreu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

My argument, if there is or will eventually be one to be made, is that Soto is the engine making everything go. Volpe is having a much better year with Soto behind him and Judge is benefitting hitting behind him. Even Stanton has managed to remain upright this year. You take Soto out of the lineup and the Yanks are right where they were last year. 

Fucking Christ man. Judge just hit 15 homers in one month. He leads the MLB in WAR & OPS. He’s the clear MVP front runner. I think you’ve spent so much time sucking off the Phillies that you haven’t been looking at the box scores.

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fucking Christ man. Judge just hit 15 homers in one month. He leads the MLB in WAR & OPS. He’s the clear MVP front runner. I think you’ve spent so much time sucking off the Phillies that you haven’t been looking at the box scores.

Once again you have zero objectivity and are obviously perturbed about an opinion, that much like your own, does not matter. The difference is I can read your opinion, as can others, and not respond like that. Get over yourself and get back to your bread and butter of making wildly inaccurate predictions about high school football.

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I gotta say that Mr. Mendoza finds this to be an impressive line.

12 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Once again you have zero objectivity and are obviously perturbed about an opinion, that much like your own, does not matter. The difference is I can read your opinion, as can others, and not respond like that. Get over yourself and get back to your bread and butter of making wildly inaccurate predictions about high school football.

I gotta say that Mr. Mendoza finds this to be an impressive line.

I thought actual statistics were more objective than conjecture about a hypothetical lineup without Soto, but I guess not. My bad 

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I thought actual statistics were more objective than conjecture about a hypothetical lineup without Soto, but I guess not. My bad 

You do not have the ability to look at opinions other than your own and you know this. Objectivity is being able to see another point of view, in this case why are the Yankees better this season than last year. My opinion is it is because of Soto and that he is the engine of the whole thing. You have a different opinion and that this is a Judge driven machine. Neither opinion matters .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, major asterisks on Nintendo's lead.  Abreu spent a month killing himself in Florida, Mack Brown-style.  And Maldonado is no longer fetishized managed by Dusty Baker.

• Drool 1