2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

yep, lock it up 

But you know there’ll be some writers that will not vote for him because a DH has never won the MVP.  He could’ve been the worst defensive player in history and still won it.  So why does it matter?

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

but would he refer to himself in first person ?

Ricky was pretty gotdam special.  But what was fascinating about Shohei is since he wasn’t pitching, he really spent a lot of time working on timing of steals.  His career high previously was like 26.  But not pitching allowed him to work on this.  Word is he was at Dodger Stadium nearly every day working on his legs and speed, knowing he couldn’t pitch.  It’ll be interesting at what point they say “let’s skip the pitching part.”  But he’s a damn good pitcher.  It will be interesting to see how his offense drops off next year.  It almost has to.

Edited by Sbbruin

43 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And one of his doubles he tried to stretch to a triple and got thrown out.  Had he been safe, he would’ve added a cycle to today.

Facts

I thought y'all were insane for paying him that much and I still think the amount is crazy but...

3 HR games are rare; 6 hit games are rare; 10 rbi games are rare; and frankly, two SB games don’t happen every day. for this guy to do all of this in one day, knowing that he’s a top 5-8 pitcher in the league…he’s a human video game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Of course there is. Plenty, actually.

who? name every hitter who is this good at their peak, including base running. now name every pitcher who at their peak was/is as good as shohei. now tell me every name that’s on both lists.

you’re left with babe ruth as the only guy even in the conversation, and he didn’t do what shohei has done while pitching and hitting at the same time. forget about the base running.  pound for pound shohei is undoubtedly the best all around baseball player we’ve ever seen. a cy young caliber pitcher with 50/50 offensive skills. come on. this is a no-brainer.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Derka said:

if he played in the 80’s he’d have 75 sb, you are out of your element.

very unlikely.  maybe before the advent of the slide step in the early 80's. the other issue is opportunities to be on first.  he's only been on first about 160 times.  hard to know how many times there was a runner on 2nd.  stealing 3rd is difficult.  not sure how many 3B steals he has this year.  the current rules help immensely.

The year Rickey stole 130 he was on first 220+ times and the guy had stealing 3rd down to a science.

regardless of the rules he is the first guy to do 50/50 and is crushing it.  dude is amazing.  the game today was ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Derka said:

who? name every hitter who is this good at their peak, including base running. now name every pitcher who at their peak was/is as good as shohei. now tell me every name that’s on both lists.

you’re left with babe ruth as the only guy even in the conversation, and he didn’t do what shohei has done while pitching and hitting at the same time. forget about the base running.  pound for pound shohei is undoubtedly the best all around baseball player we’ve ever seen. a cy young caliber pitcher with 50/50 offensive skills. come on. this is a no-brainer.

He's not the best hitter in the game. He's not the best pitcher in the game. He doesn't play in the outfield.

But he's really freaking good and fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

And one of his doubles he tried to stretch to a triple and got thrown out.  Had he been safe, he would’ve added a cycle to today.

Meh. "the cycle" is a silly thing.  You know what's better than "the cycle"?  Two doubles, a triple, and a homer.  Or a single, two triples, and a HR.  Or a single and 3 HR.  you get the point I'm making.  
It's like "this weekend, I fucked a fat girl, and normal girl, and a hot girl".   

You can always do better. 

Shohei's got a double, a triple, and a homer...is he trying to hit a single to get "the cycle"?  Fuck no...he's trying to put one in the fucking upper deck of center. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

He's not the best hitter in the game. He's not the best pitcher in the game. He doesn't play in the outfield.

Tony Gwynn was the best hitter in the game for a decade, and the Padres drew shit, because Tony hit a grounder through a hole in the infield where nobody was standing and nobody gave a fuck.  I loved the dude, but you didn't see Tony go 2 for 4 on sports center.

Shohei's the most exciting player in my lifetime, and I've got saggy balls. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He may be the best all around hitter in the game.  Average, power, rbis.  He does strikeout a bit much, but this season, I don’t know that there’s a better all around hitter.

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Tony Gwynn was the best hitter in the game for a decade, and the Padres drew shit, because Tony hit a grounder through a hole in the infield where nobody was standing and nobody gave a fuck.  I loved the dude, but you didn't see Tony go 2 for 4 on sports center.

Shohei's the most exciting player in my lifetime, and I've got saggy balls. 

IMG_0870.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

He may be the best all around hitter in the game.  Average, power, rbis.  He does strikeout a bit much, but this season, I don’t know that there’s a better all around hitter.

where are his RBI numbers if he bats 3rd or cleanup instead of leadoff?   He's insanely good. 

38 minutes ago, Derka said:

3 HR games are rare; 6 hit games are rare; 10 rbi games are rare; and frankly, two SB games don’t happen every day. for this guy to do all of this in one day, knowing that he’s a top 5-8 pitcher in the league…he’s a human video game.

I'm watching TNF and was in the other room and overhead Al Michaels mentioning his night and was like "um, I'm sorry. What?"

59 minutes ago, Derka said:

Yeah that’s ridiculous.  Plenty?  LOL

Maybe prime juiced Bonds.  And that’s only if you don’t take Ohtani pitching in to consideration.  WAR with both is just asinine.  

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What recent rule changes supposedly make it easier to steal a base? Pitch clocks? I'm not following.

you can only pick off to a base twice per batter(unless a base is stolen or you have a passed ball)

pitch clocks help a bit too.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1