The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is average at best. I could see the story doing some interesting and cool things as the season progresses but through 2 episodes nothing is catching my attention.  

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

The first white male was the monk Jedi. 

I enjoyed it. I think there will be a lot more to this than the twist. She said in interviews that what you think is the case really is not. 

I think the first white males were the criminals.   

Overall, it didn't feel like Star Wars.  The Jedi Master dying to a knife/deception was stupid, after all the posturing, and self-proclaimed assassin trying to pick a fight and pulling out weapons, trying to grab at your weapon just seemed off  But whatever.  The fight looked more Matrix-y and the CGI enhanced fight looked awkward at times.   Maybe it is just me, but I just don't care for fight scenes as much as I used to and find them often a bore/repetitive.    The set were fine but something I can't quite place my finger on seemed off.   Maybe too clean?  Too cramped?   But I think the main thing is that the characters are all kind of unlikeable/boring.   The Jedi Knight who keeps igniting his lightsaber for no reason.  The Jedi sanctuary which has a robot guard with a metal head shield which was coaxed out of its resting place only to have a charge placed on the otherwise outside facing shield top (why bother coaxing it out then which was then bypassed multiple times later in the show through the open roof courtyard rooms?    Also, if the assassin barely beat a Jedi with a trick and with weapons after getting schooled in physical combat by jedi that refused to bring her lightsaber to bear, why would the assassin think she stands a chance against another one?  Clearly, she was overmatched in physical combat, why then go after or be sent after another?  

None of the Jedi can detect a disturbance at all?   None of them have force pull/push to just hurl an opponent against the wall and hold them there/or disarm them like Vader would?   

Ultimately, I think the main issue comes back to a lack of compelling character development.   They are about as flat as the motorcycle gang in Book of Boba Fett.   

• Hook 'Em 2

Episode 2:  Curates egg. For master Jedi they do some dumb shit in fights. better script, bad acting. I am interested in the Seth lord and who he is. 

Both episodes remind me of an after school special. 

I found the husky / plump guy as a Jedi amusing and not in a good way. Aren't they supposed to be disciplined with mind, body and the force?

Hell, I like the dark mood series music better than show. 

I will continue to watch but this is another BOBF type of show. Very meh 

Of course this show is meh lol

These people hate you.  They only hire people to be involved who hate the source material and its fans.  

They utterly despise you and intentionally make shit to rub how much is sucks in your face.

But you people just lap it up.  Keep going back for more. 

Pathetic.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I saw this come across my FB feed.  Captions like this certainly aren't going to help the impression that story and acting aren't what they care about.   Haven't watched it yet so I have no comment on its level of gayness or how much they may or may not hate me.

3 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

I saw this come across my FB feed.  Captions like this certainly aren't going to help the impression that story and acting aren't what they care about.   Haven't watched it yet so I have no comment on its level of gayness or how much they may or may not hate me.

the "2 mothers" line in the first episode...sheesh

40 minutes ago, Nivek said:

None of the Jedi can detect a disturbance at all?   None of them have force pull/push to just hurl an opponent against the wall and hold them there/or disarm them like Vader would?   

I was thinking "Don't bring a knife to a lightsaber fight". 

29 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Of course this show is meh lol

These people hate you.  They only hire people to be involved who hate the source material and its fans.  

They utterly despise you and intentionally make shit to rub how much is sucks in your face.

But you people just lap it up.  Keep going back for more. 

Pathetic.  

OIP.z43EtqMOO3sUWdls9IhnAQAAAA?rs=1&pid=

Chill my Surly homie. Shit isn't that serious

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I rolled my eyes at "your mothers", not because I give a shit about hearing about lesbians, but because I imagined the outraged responses. 

1699477067699?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=TPOD

I love lesbians, but the way its place messaging in movies is turning into the crossfit/vegan crowd messaging. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. Knew it as soon as I heard it. Not like they flashed back to the mom’s scissoring and making out. 

I would have been fine with that. 😃

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I could care less about the “message” of this craptastic show, but as a body of work, through two painful episodes, it was awful.  Teenage space ninja beats Matrix Jedi master with throwing knives and a little distraction.  Quite the strategery.  So dumb….

Oh, you know space Kung Fu?  How about I use one of the most basic Jedi moves and pick you up off the floor and have you hover in the air.  Kick me now beech!

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

The first two episodes were okay.

The sets seem fine, and the acting feels stilted. It's the dialogue that's below average: I don't know why Osha had to tell the padawan for a second time that she's a meknek to explain why she had an idea to fix whatever was going on with the ship at the beginning of the second episode. The actor playing Mae's partner-in-crime is really terrible. 

We'll see where this goes, and I'll continue to watch. After all, I've invested nearly 50 years of my life into the Star Wars franchise, beginning when I saw A New Hope for the first time at the age of five in the theater when it was first released. I don't think I'll ever stop watching whatever they crank out.

Prediction/wild-ass guess:

Spoiler

He’s the sith bad guy giving her orders. He was able to sniff out that she wasn’t the same twin despite them being identical. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

How does Disney still have this much money to just light on fire?

I dunno but through 2 episodes I’m not sure how Disney produced such a boring show with a series budget that matches Dune: part 2 (180 million). 

3 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Episode 2:  Curates egg. For master Jedi they do some dumb shit in fights. better script, bad acting. I am interested in the Seth lord and who he is. 

Both episodes remind me of an after school special. 

I found the husky / plump guy as a Jedi amusing and not in a good way. Aren't they supposed to be disciplined with mind, body and the force?

Hell, I like the dark mood series music better than show. 

I will continue to watch but this is another BOBF type of show. Very meh 

Yea.  A man made dust storm helped homegirl escape?  Come on

• Rage+1 1

But I think the main thing is that the characters are all kind of unlikeable/boring.   

It was a mistake to make the Jedi stoic monks. They’re boring AF. Luke had personality. Obi Wan had personality. Every Jedi since then has been milquetoast.

43 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

It was a mistake to make the Jedi stoic monks. They’re boring AF. Luke had personality. Obi Wan had personality. Every Jedi since then has been milquetoast.

Not necessarily, the annoying philosopher type can work, the angry hermit (Jolee from the KOTOR game) works as well.   Yoda came off as not so wise.  Kai al Mundi was an idiot.  Luminara was haughty.   Mace was an asshole.   The old lady who ran the library was kind.   Cera went weird.  Kal Kestis and Kanan were good with the latter being both a father figure and one of the most heroic even if he lacked the skill.   Ezra was a punk kid.  

49 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

image.gif.530c727dfe4e30c44c6bb0da5e7df23a.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

How does Disney still have this much money to just light on fire?

A whole buncha people signed up for D+ during the Plague and forgot to ever turn it off.  It’s hitting their cc for $9.99 every month and they don’t know it. 

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

A whole buncha people signed up for D+ during the Plague and forgot to ever turn it off.  It’s hitting their cc for $9.99 every month and they don’t know it. 

I hear this a lot lately. Do people really not look at their cc charges? Do they just pay every month and never verify?

That sounds like a case of the dumb dumbs

47 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I hear this a lot lately. Do people really not look at their cc charges? Do they just pay every month and never verify?

I bought a ton of beer on my dad's Exxon card in my early 20s. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

I got sloppy a few years ago and forgot to cancel some things.  Caught it on my year-end statement and saved like $55/month.  And no question it's dumb dumb.  I am not proud.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Stop Motion Smile GIF by LAIKA Studios

TIL there are real companies who’s only purpose is to track your monthly subscriptions so you can cancel the unused/unneeded ones. 

Cheese and Rice

https://www.rocketmoney.com

A shitload of parents signed up for D+ and don’t mind the cost because it babysits their kids when they need mommy and daddy time, or daddy needs a few undisturbed minutes in the shower or bathroom.

And Bluey.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, but you told them to write it up as oil so he never knew the difference. 

I'm fairly sure North Loop isn't 80 and didn't grow up when gas stations did hand written receipts.

Since the proliferation of Star Wars content really exploded with streaming, I’ve always been pretty patient and forgiving, not expecting anything great. Andor was a nice surprise, and there have been other good moments, especially some stories in The Clone Wars and Rebels. Beyond the movies and series, I’ve read the Thrawn Trilogy and a handful of other EU things back in the day, but I’ve never been obsessive about it and have been able to laugh away the botched sequel trilogy and the incel outrage over clunky and forced diversity.  I’ll always give new Star Wars stuff a shot to see where it’s going, and hopefully be surprised by something original and interesting with compelling characters and good writing. 

That said, what I watched from those first two episodes of The Acolyte was dog shit. I’ve made an effort to stay present and not succumb to the distraction of the phone when watching movies or shows, but 10 minutes into the first episode this thing was already in my hand. Maybe it was watching a Jedi dominating a fight, and all of a sudden couldn’t sense a ruse to distract her and catches a blade to the heart? I know the plot demands that a Jedi has to be killed to put the story into motion, but that’s the best they could come up with? Wookiees are cool, but Jedi Sasquatch? Now they’re just fucking with us.  Plenty of other head scratcher and laughable moments followed to the point where morbid curiosity kept me there to watch all of both episodes.