The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

This doesn’t really bother me much since Star Wars has historically put physics on the back burner. George routinely did stuff like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Levi said:

This doesn’t really bother me much since Star Wars has historically put physics on the back burner. George routinely did stuff like this.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Lucas address it directly,  but it’s clear that the vacuum of space doesn’t exist in the Star Wars galaxy. Space is just a fun backdrop for the storytelling. If your spacecraft breaks in half in space, you’ll be fine and can easily enter the atmosphere of a planet and land safely. You can also casually mill about the open landing bay of a space station with no ill effects. And spaceships absolutely make aircraft type sounds that generate a robust doppler effect when passing another point of reference. The more ridiculous the better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Lost me after that opening scene ended....lame use of my girl for such a short time.

While I agree, and it made my wife really annoyed since she loves CAM, I think it's like what happened in the opening of Scream with Drew Barrymore's character. The shocking death that sets the story in motion. Based on the trailers, there should be a flashback with her in it. Ultimately, a waste though considering how featured she was in the trailers. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Get all your show reviews from wall street silver?

Anybody upset that there’s a lesbian in the series isn’t actually watching the series, because the problem is not the casting, not even close.  It’s the writing.  With that said, my kid likes it and his friends seem to as well.  But they aren’t on Rotten Tomatoes.

23 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Also making Jedi Guardians(yellow sabers) such dolts… doesn’t help.

Idk, I think part of the overall point of how the Jedi are portrayed is that their rigid doctrine kinda does make them stupid in a number of ways. Also, I kind of thought he came off more of just an inexperienced, overeager dude who's a bit full of himself for making Jedi Knight or whatever. The kind of thing that passes with age and experience.

12 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Nope, no woke review agenda here. Remember, any of you incels that didn't like this steaming piece of shit are probably  wife beating nazis.

image.png.a967ed030cef202c5b72fb4f7e6b23f4.png

Username checks out. How can you live your life being such a snowflake? It's wild.

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Get all your show reviews from wall street silver?

Twitter has absolutely annihilated the dude's brain. It's remarkable.

Anywho...

The show is just ok, I think there's potential, but Disney has proven to be more than capable of tossing any show's potential straight in the dumpster, so we'll see. Wasn't terribly impressed by the first two episodes but it wasn't bad either. I think Lee Jung-jae is a great actor and I hope to see him in more stuff.

I wasn't even aware there was a crazy anti-woke panic going on around this show until after I had already watched the first two episodes. It just boggles my mind how worked up people get about nothing. Guys, there's nepotism in Hollywood. BREAKING NEWS.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Really bad thru the first 2 episodes.  I will keep watching because I am a sucker.

Casting, acting, writing, and story are all weak.  Visuals are average by today’s standards.  I am not anti-woke but the fat Jedi was ridiculous.

This show also immediately trots out the most annoying recurring plot device in the Star Wars universe: untalented rookie easily defeats more powerful more experienced opponent.  Trinity went down like a bitch when she should have mopped the floor with that twat.

8 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

This show also immediately trots out the most annoying recurring plot device in the Star Wars universe: untalented rookie easily defeats more powerful more experienced opponent.  Trinity went down like a bitch when she should have mopped the floor with that twat.

In a way it points to what others have said about Disney making Jedi too stoic. They write these very powerful Jedi and then have no clue how to kill them. They set up Indara’s death with the guy falling first and her saving him, and then Mae taking advantage of it the second time around. I just feel like that has been overused for the Jedi. There just had to be one guy left in the bar that didn’t decide to escape to safety with his kid.  

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Levi said:

In a way it points to what others have said about Disney making Jedi too stoic.

It's easy to make a stoic Jedi.  Having them quiet and brooding hides a script bereft of quality and an actor lacking charisma and screen appeal.  All the early Jedi were great.  The crowd bought into them.  Then we saw Hayden and Samuel Jackson flop as major stars and we've seen a downward slide ever since.  Rey was meh bit and Adam Driver did "ok" (I thought minus shitty script writing).  The Kenobi series was great because of Ewan as was Ashoka.....even Hayden was able to redeem himself in both.

Now they have these wooden, crappy actors that nobody gives a shit about and the same shitty writing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually think unknown actors work better in these stories, it keeps you from thinking “Hey there’s Trinity.” But apparently the current crop sucks (not that they’ve been given much to work with here).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

It's easy to make a stoic Jedi.  Having them quiet and brooding hides a script bereft of quality and an actor lacking charisma and screen appeal.  All the early Jedi were great.  The crowd bought into them.  Then we saw Hayden and Samuel Jackson flop as major stars and we've seen a downward slide ever since.  Rey was meh bit and Adam Driver did "ok" (I thought minus shitty script writing).  The Kenobi series was great because of Ewan as was Ashoka.....even Hayden was able to redeem himself in both.

Now they have these wooden, crappy actors that nobody gives a shit about and the same shitty writing.  

I think the Samuel L. Jackson hate in the PT is overblown. I’ll die on that hill. Hayden on the other hand could not overcome George’s fantastic writing. For the most part the actors in the PT did their best for what they were given. Thank god for people like Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee, Ian McDarmid, Ewan McGregor ect. George got lucky in the OT by finding some unknown actors that were still good. It helps when some had experience by acting in plays/Broadway. Theres that famous video of Hamill on the Johnny Carson show where he told a story about him begging George to cut an awful piece of dialogue. 

I don’t know why Disney is having trouble with the actors today. Maybe there was more wiggle room for actors to improvise under George and that is not the case under the corporation model of Disney. I know in the ST you can tell the actors are fighting tooth and nail to get the words out because the story was so bad. I feel this was Oscar Isaac’s actual reaction to reading this line

image.gif.7633b9e1ff1724be919a466c097a5a07.gif

Edited by Levi
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I finished episode 2 last night. Pretty meh.

The acting - lame.

The action - cheezy.

The dialogue - beyond bad ("Attack me with all of your strength" - seriously? I haven't seen dubbed kung fu with better dialogue)

I want to like these properties, I love Star Wars, but they keep making products that just don't have the quality that should be expected of Star Wars. Andor was fantastic, and you could tell that the storytellers there worked their best to make a good show. I don't need everything to be Andor, but I would really like these to have some quality to them.

On 6/5/2024 at 1:58 PM, PilotsError said:

Of course this show is meh lol

These people hate you.  They only hire people to be involved who hate the source material and its fans.  

They utterly despise you and intentionally make shit to rub how much is sucks in your face.

But you people just lap it up.  Keep going back for more. 

Pathetic.  

Actually I think this is the exact opposite. I think Lucasfilm loves the fans. I think those hired on to these projects are those that love the source material so much they have dedicated their lives to these things. And I think that when they look at what fans talk about and put on the internet - they think All these guys just want to watch are the Jedi over and over, remember when you would search Jedi on YouTube and would end up with countless videos of people that just discovered rotoscoping and made a jedi duel of some sort? So of course we get nothing but Jedi material these days. And you see a ton of fan service, even if you like me rolled your eyes when ... (checks IMDB) ... Yord Fandar said "I've got a bad feeling about this."

But in the end Disney is still a corporation "The Mouse" beholden to it's shareholders and while their teams might want to make something amazing and awesome for the fans, they have to do so with one hand tied behind their back because corp mandates they constantly need to do it cheaper.

"You want to bring in Carrie-Anne Moss? Trinity from the Matrix?!!?!? FANTASITC!!! Put her front and center of the marketing, make sure you have her face in every trailer and commercial for the Acolyte! 

And you can only use her for 5 minutes in the show."

"You want everyone in the show to be a Jedi? Great! Just get anyone you can to play them, because your acting budget is Carrie-Anne Moss + $100."

"And keep your VFX budget at a minimum."

With corporations its always about the lowest cost possible. I don't think it is a huge shock that the best Star Wars product of the last 43 years is the one with the most practical effects. "The Mouse" mandates keeping the pile of money spent as small as possible and reach profits sooner. Maybe the problem is that "The Mouse" loves the fan's wallets too much.

Two weeks ago a woman put out a 4 HOUR epic outlining the failure that was Star Wars Land at Disney. And her point is basically much of the same and the NY Times outlined it in a review:

What also struck me about the video was how Nicholson’s criticisms held true in other mediums. Too frequently corporations like Disney are asking audiences to accept whatever they are given no matter the quality. A critic might roll her eyes at the nonstop influx of projects based on pre-existing intellectual property — and often I do — but there’s a reason studios keep going to that well: Fans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/07/movies/jenny-nicholson-disney-star-wars-hotel-review.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Two weeks ago a woman put out a 4 HOUR epic outlining the failure that was Star Wars Land at Disney. And her point is basically much of the same and the NY Times outlined it in a review:

Jenny Nicholson. She's probably my favorite YouTuber but she's an acquired taste. She's been working on that f'n video for years. Her other videos are extremely entertaining. Some day I'm gonna hunker down and watch her 4 hour magnum opus.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Actually I think this is the exact opposite. I think Lucasfilm loves the fans. I think those hired on to these projects are those that love the source material so much they have dedicated their lives to these things. And I think that when they look at what fans talk about and put on the internet - they think All these guys just want to watch are the Jedi over and over, remember when you would search Jedi on YouTube and would end up with countless videos of people that just discovered rotoscoping and made a jedi duel of some sort? So of course we get nothing but Jedi material these days. And you see a ton of fan service, even if you like me rolled your eyes when ... (checks IMDB) ... Yord Fandar said "I've got a bad feeling about this."

I don't think that fits the people behind this particular show in any way, shape, or form.

• Hook 'Em 4

I actually think unknown actors work better in these stories, it keeps you from thinking “Hey there’s Trinity.” But apparently the current crop sucks (not that they’ve been given much to work with here).

Good actors can help overcome a shitty script/dialogue. People are calling her Jedi Trinity because they had her fighting like Trinity, not like a Jedi.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

I don't think that fits the people behind this particular show in any way, shape, or form.

IMHO the bigger issue might be they love it too much. More to the point, they love Jedi too damn much. To so many SW fans there isn't anything in this universe but damn Jedi. So they stick jedi everywhere in the stories.

The worst part is that no one seemed to get the real lesson that was to be learned from Andor, which wasn't don't just stick Jedi everywhere but really:

How to make a great Star Wars product:

• Make a great story - then fit it into the Star Wars Universe
  • Not take Star Wars tropes and fit a story into that

I think a great Jedi story can be made, but you have to have a great story first and then fit Jedi within that story.

• Hook 'Em 3

Good actors can help overcome a shitty script/dialogue. People are calling her Jedi Trinity because they had her fighting like Trinity, not like a Jedi.

I was referring to Carrie-Anne Moss. Actual Trinity.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

IMHO the bigger issue might be they love it too much. More to the point, they love Jedi too damn much. To so many SW fans there isn't anything in this universe but damn Jedi. So they stick jedi everywhere in the stories.

The worst part is that no one seemed to get the real lesson that was to be learned from Andor, which wasn't don't just stick Jedi everywhere but really:

How to make a great Star Wars product:

• Make a great story - then fit it into the Star Wars Universe
  • Not take Star Wars tropes and fit a story into that

I think a great Jedi story can be made, but you have to have a great story first and then fit Jedi within that story.

I’ll agree with this. Star Wars showrunners are interested in Jedi and not much else. Gilroy is a notable exception. 

Patty Jenkins isn’t my favorite, but a X-Wing squadron show would have been better than yet another Jedi story.

Is Disney making money on this shit? It feels like they understand it’s a mediocre product that is profitable so they don’t care about quality.

I don’t think we’ll ever get the full picture. You need something to truly bomb before anonymous sources start coming out of the woodwork. 

• Like 2

I’ll agree with this. Star Wars showrunners are interested in Jedi and not much else. Gilroy is a notable exception. 

Patty Jenkins isn’t my favorite, but a X-Wing squadron show would have been better than yet another Jedi story.
Is Disney making money on this shit? It feels like they understand it’s a mediocre product that is profitable so they don’t care about quality.

I don’t think we’ll ever get the full picture. You need something to truly bomb before anonymous sources start coming out of the woodwork. 

Jedi/Sith have a place. Especially if there are academies like in KOTOR games.

Andor succeeded because it was a good story. Not because it lacked Jedi. Same for Mandolorian. Book of Boba failed due to it being mediocre at best. Though Jennifer Beals was quite memorable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Jedi/Sith have a place. Especially if there are academies like in KOTOR games.

Andor succeeded because it was a good story. Not because it lacked Jedi. Same for Mandolorian. Book of Boba failed due to it being mediocre at best. Though Jennifer Beals was quite memorable.

Sure. But there many compelling Star Wars stories without lightsabers.

Andor rules because it’s relatable and gritty. There’s a story arc where a low level bureaucrat has to move in with his mom. We all freaked out when Mando had the first boat in Star Wars history. Andor one upped it with George Constanza working for the actual Evil Empire. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure. But there many compelling Star Wars stories without lightsabers.

Andor rules because it’s relatable and gritty. There’s a story arc where a low level bureaucrat has to move in with his mom. We all freaked out when Mando had the first boat in Star Wars history. Andor one upped it with George Constanza working for the actual Evil Empire. 

Yeah I’m tired of Jedi stories. 

I would never in my life get tired of seeing Jedi on screen if the story’s were good. Star Wars is the Jedi. But Disney has simply failed at making the audience care about them which in return has resulted in a large portion of the fan base feeling burnt out. Theres no place for it to happen in Andor but they could easily make a gritty and down to earth Jedi and fans would soak it up.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was very intrigued because her dad was a fighter pilot (and died during an NATO exercise when she was young) and she said she wanted to make a Star Wars property about fighter pilots in memory of her dad.  I feel like we would have gotten something closer to Andor if she had because she had a vision and she did well with the Wonder Woman shows - an established IP that was supposed to fit into a hodge-pod cinematic universe.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Acolyte is their biggest premier this year (so far) and plenty of kids seem to like it, and more than a few adults.  Unfortunately for Disney they can’t look at things like Rotten Tomatoes because too many fucking incels that were never going to watch the show review-bombed it because it has a lesbian or a fat person 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Book of Boba failed due to it being mediocre at best. Though Jennifer Beals was quite memorable.

What we thought we were going to get based on the teaser in the Mando credits was different than what was delivered, and some of that is because we started filling in all kids of blanks in our mind, but the series felt watered down. The syndicate and biker game and scooter gang plots should not have happened, Boba and Fennec should have gotten the fuck off of Tatooine, Mando and Grogu should not have been involved.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Levi said:

I would never in my life get tired of seeing Jedi on screen if the story’s were good. Star Wars is the Jedi. But Disney has simply failed at making the audience care about them which in return has resulted in a large portion of the fan base feeling burnt out. Theres no place for it to happen in Andor but they could easily make a gritty and down to earth Jedi and fans would soak it up.  

Same. They have to move beyond Skywalkers if they want to keep growing, and maybe Jedi too, but the central theme of Star Wars is the Force and those who wield it. They could make great stories focused on Jedi from any time frame, or they could make a great story where a Jedi is a member of a mixed group of protagonists, and it would be great as long as the story is great. I loved Mando, and episodes with Ahsoka and Luke are some of my favorites. I loved Andor and there weren’t any Jedi. Don’t need Jedi, but don’t need to avoid Jedi either. 

Beating the dead horse, but Disney reaches for the Jedi or nostalgia as a crutch amidst mediocre to poor stories. It’s extra frustrating as a fan when higher ups, showrunners, and directors try to awkwardly shoehorn in whatever their pet political issue is, because you have to wonder if they could’ve made better stories and dialogue if they weren’t distracted with trying to preach at the audience. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Beating the dead horse, but Disney reaches for the Jedi or nostalgia as a crutch amidst mediocre to poor stories. It’s extra frustrating as a fan when higher ups, showrunners, and directors try to awkwardly shoehorn in whatever their pet political issue is, because you have to wonder if they could’ve made better stories and dialogue if they weren’t distracted with trying to preach at the audience. 

Current political issues have been shown in movies all the time by the directors/writers. We can make a long list of what George did but I feel most here understand that already. Andor even had some in there as well. But good writers don’t feel the need the need to hold the audiences hand and awkwardly explain what point they’re trying to get across. It’s subtlety done in a way that doesn’t hurt the flow of the story. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Levi said:

But good writers don’t feel the need the need to hold the audiences hand and awkwardly explain what point they’re trying to get across. It’s subtlety done in a way that doesn’t hurt the flow of the story. 

It’s 2024. There are people who think Homelander is the hero in The Boys.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was very intrigued because her dad was a fighter pilot (and died during an NATO exercise when she was young) and she said she wanted to make a Star Wars property about fighter pilots in memory of her dad.  I feel like we would have gotten something closer to Andor if she had because she had a vision and she did well with the Wonder Woman shows - an established IP that was supposed to fit into a hodge-pod cinematic universe.

Acolyte is their biggest premier this year (so far) and plenty of kids seem to like it, and more than a few adults.  Unfortunately for Disney they can’t look at things like Rotten Tomatoes because too many fucking incels that were never going to watch the show review-bombed it because it has a lesbian or a fat person 

What we thought we were going to get based on the teaser in the Mando credits was different than what was delivered, and some of that is because we started filling in all kids of blanks in our mind, but the series felt watered down. The syndicate and biker game and scooter gang plots should not have happened, Boba and Fennec should have gotten the fuck off of Tatooine, Mando and Grogu should not have been involved.

I don't know.  Robert Rodriguez is just a one trick pony.  His El Mariachi film was fun and new, but watching the Dusk til Dawn film showcased how mediocre he really was especially when paired with a competent filmmaker.   His kid centered films are meh from an adult perspective.   Book of Boba Fett had decent ideas but such a weird execution.  Rancor, Hutts wanting to reclaim the territory, Pikes, Tuskens, Jennifer Beals, were all good to great ideas.  But the speeder bike gang, stupid fight scene twists/moves, removing Jennifer Beals, were all horrible.   They needed someone to check him.  

Posted (edited)

I find it funny that people are memeing the campfire in space when that's been a fairly common occurrence in Star Wars. Star Wars does in fact have fires in space. This is where I think people criticize something just to have something to be critical about. Criticize the writing and the acting, sure but this is just a dumb one to get worked up and SEE A WOMAN DID THIS! about. 

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-14085.jp'

tumblr_o14lkrX2J61rlapeio1_500.gifv

GPZ61dVa0AAeM39?format=jpg&name=900x900GPV7Z9BXMAEvp2K?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3