The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nivek said:

I don't know.  Robert Rodriguez is just a one trick pony.  His El Mariachi film was fun and new, but watching the Dusk til Dawn film showcased how mediocre he really was especially when paired with a competent filmmaker.   His kid centered films are meh from an adult perspective.   Book of Boba Fett had decent ideas but such a weird execution.  Rancor, Hutts wanting to reclaim the territory, Pikes, Tuskens, Jennifer Beals, were all good to great ideas.  But the speeder bike gang, stupid fight scene twists/moves, removing Jennifer Beals, were all horrible.   They needed someone to check him.  

I feel like Book of Boba went off the rails when they went away from the story with the Sand People. They also didn't keep him as a congruent character. He shows up at the end of Mando season 2 and blows Bib Fortuna  off of the throne. Then he becomes the crime lord with a heart of gold. He went from the anti-hero to hero which is not his character. He didn't even feel like a bounty hunter any more. He wasn't even the guy from the awesome episode of Mando that he returned in. He was just kinda there with a bike gang, a rancor, and Cade Bane. It felt like the worst parts of the prequels. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

I find it funny that people are memeing the campfire in space when that's been a fairly common occurrence in Star Wars. Star Wars does in fact have fires in space. This is where I think people criticize something just to have something to be critical about. Criticize the writing and the acting, sure but this is just a dumb one to get worked up and SEE A WOMAN DID THIS! about. 

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-14085.jp'

tumblr_o14lkrX2J61rlapeio1_500.gifv

GPZ61dVa0AAeM39?format=jpg&name=900x900GPV7Z9BXMAEvp2K?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The fire was burning the oxygen from the atmosphere inside the ships, not from a crackling campfire in deep space.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't really care about space fires, etc.  It's about a well written and compelling story.  That's why the last season of so many shows goes sideways.  The original script/writers are gone, and then the suits come in and fuck it all up.  See GOT.  The last season of Dexter.  The last season of Scrubs.  It goes on and on.  

That is WHY people have the time and attention to focus on fires now, vs. in the original films.  The original films so captured everyone's attention nobody cared about such inconsequential details.  I don't give two shits about John Wick's bulletproof suit that would see every bone in his body shattered from bullet impacts because the story and action is so bad ass.  

Yeah I didn’t get the space fire crying. My first thought was back to the Executor on fire crashing into the 2nd Death Star.

The writing and story isn’t there for me yet.

It also doesn’t help that all the outside noise from the actresses and writers and directors that this was created to “make white men cry”. Jesus just make a good show.

Basically just give me Andor s2 now please.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware of the culture war controversy and didn't pick up anything noticeable during the show. However, I did notice that this show is pretty crappy and somewhere between the Boba series and Ewok movies.

On 6/8/2024 at 5:24 PM, Captain Ron said:

But in the end Disney is still a corporation "The Mouse" beholden to it's shareholders and while their teams might want to make something amazing and awesome for the fans, they have to do so with one hand tied behind their back because corp mandates they constantly need to do it cheaper.

With corporations its always about the lowest cost possible. I don't think it is a huge shock that the best Star Wars product of the last 43 years is the one with the most practical effects. "The Mouse" mandates keeping the pile of money spent as small as possible and reach profits sooner. Maybe the problem is that "The Mouse" loves the fan's wallets too much.

Ah yes, the show is shitty because of Disneys corporate budgeting. 

Nevermind that its the same Disney company that funded Andor that you love. Or that they gave this one higher budget than Mando, Obi Wan, Boba Fett, basically all other SW universe shows and even other networks’ flagship series.

Nevermind that its ultimately the audience that determine the financial payoff of their productions, not the producer. 

It couldnt be that viewers like all the Filoni/Favreau stuff on grounds of merit, but it’s only because of culture war that they hate this one. (Or, likewise, they enjoy Rogue One but not TLJ because of various*ism). 

Just keep scaping that goat, man.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I really didn't read any of the thread before posting that. Then I started looking at the posts above it and saw it'd fit right in.

This is why I don't read Star Wars threads any more.

I'm here to enjoy the movies and shows, not find endless bitchass reasons to rag on em.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This sucks because the story, the script and the acting are all horrible (so far).  All the added bitchass reasons just take the sucking to a horrible, lower depth.  If the story, script and acting were good (or get good), people would be able to look past the other issues.  Maybe, anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I found the first 2 episodes boring as hell. There haven't been any characters so far that have excited me. Unlike others I'm optimistic for Wookie Jedi to whip some ass, deliver some laughs and get this thing on the fun track.

• Hook 'Em 2

if y'all hate Star Wars so much why do you still watch it?

life is too short to watch things you hate

i mean that's like unblocking futureman, going to his profile, and then reading all his posts. why would you do this

Well, E3 doesn’t improve things. The direction is so horrible for the scene when Mother #1 uses the force against the two other ladies was so badly acted, I thought they filmed a dress rehearsal and accidentally put it in the final cut. Instead of FX pushes them back, they like stumble back like it’s a practice run.

The wookie costume looks like it was bought at the Spirit of Halloween store.

I kinda like the idea that different groups learned and mythologized The Force in different ways. That could be interesting. Maybe the Jedi were such fanatics they had to stamp out any users they found to be impure. But, the writers don’t know how to develop an interesting story around that idea.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

if y'all hate Star Wars so much why do you still watch it?

life is too short to watch things you hate

i mean that's like unblocking futureman, going to his profile, and then reading all his posts. why would you do this

I mean, 2 episodes is giving something a chance. Not like I’m bitching 10 episodes in (bet your ass I will though)

edit: to clarify previous post, I liked BB and this sucks by comparison. Not hating on both

Edited by Hank_Hill

Posted (edited)

Episode 3 is better. The second half of the episode picking up the pace helped. But with that said, we’re 3 episodes deep in an 8 episode series and I still don’t feel much has happened with the story. I’d say the character drawing most of my interest is Sol. He’s done a decent job so far. 

26 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean, 2 episodes is giving something a chance. Not like I’m bitching 10 episodes in (bet your ass I will though)

edit: to clarify previous post, I liked BB and this sucks by comparison. Not hating on both

BB grew on me through out the series. Good show overall. 

Edited by Levi

JFC y'all are all a bunch of high falutin' crazies. This is a star wars mystery box show, it's not gonna be a fun thrill ride. I am really digging the expanded show of different cultures interacting with the force/thread

But for the story, Im pretty sure the Jedi have a lot to do with those dead witches. The padawan took his oath of silence and the wookie quit the order, so something had to have broken bad. I'd bet trinity does some ruthless Jedi shit

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

JFC y'all are all a bunch of high falutin' crazies. This is a star wars mystery box show, it's not gonna be a fun thrill ride. I am really digging the expanded show of different cultures interacting with the force/thread

But for the story, Im pretty sure the Jedi have a lot to do with those dead witches. The padawan took his oath of silence and the wookie quit the order, so something had to have broken bad. I'd bet trinity does some ruthless Jedi shit

Same. I’m digging it. Not the best thing I’ve ever seen but it’s nice to get away from clones and Skywalkers 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

If you haven’t read back up thread, that’s the director’s wife.

Checks out. That pan in and her “may the force be with you” delivery made me want to kick my dog.

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

JFC y'all are all a bunch of high falutin' crazies. This is a star wars mystery box show, it's not gonna be a fun thrill ride. 

Oh good, I love my Star Wars when it’s 100% humorless and no fun whatsoever.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Although I think the criticism is over blown and the show isn’t terrible even with its faults, Andor is possibly the slowest SW show, and is probably the best thing Disney+ has put out for live action (well Mando S1 is great too so 1A-1B). My point is I don’t think the type of show has anything to do with most of the criticism that it is getting.