The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

So I haven’t watched ep 3 yet but I’ve been unable to resist reading the comments on this thread.  

It sounds like those of you that watch ep 4 will be hate-watching it, no?  

No. I’m still intrigued. There’s a mystery underneath this show and I’m curious what it is. 

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm on the fence on whether to bail at this point or not. Ep 3 was terrible. 

oof.  the dialogue was horrible.  the acting was not good but some of that is the dialogue, IMO.  I'll watch it just to see where the story goes...

So I haven’t watched ep 3 yet but I’ve been unable to resist reading the comments on this thread.  

It sounds like those of you that watch ep 4 will be hate-watching it, no?  

My wife is hate-watching…

I’m kinda hopeful-watching… but also kinda disappointed-watching.

I have to finish it because my daughter and I share Star Wars love so we always watch and talk.

Posted (edited)

Star Wars live action groupings:

Near-perfect: The Empire Strikes Back

Flawed but excellent: A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One, The Mandalorian Season 1, Andor, The Mandalorian Season 2

Not great, but entertaining and rewatchable: The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Force Awakens

Meh: The Last Jedi, Ahsoka, The Book of Boba Fett, Solo, The Mandalorian Season 3, Attack of the Clones

Aborted fetuses: Rise of Skywalker, The Acolyte (so far)

Edited by Snake Diggity

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Flawed but excellent: A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One, The Mandalorian Season 1, Andor, The Mandalorian Season 2

Not great, but entertaining and rewatchable: The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Force Awakens

Meh: The Last Jedi, Ahsoka, The Book of Boba Fett, Solo, The Mandalorian Season 3, Attack of the Clones

What did you not like about Rogue One and Andor? 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What did you not like about Rogue One and Andor? 

I thought they were both excellent.  Just not perfect.  In Andor, I wasn’t a fan of Vel and Karn.  Vel both acting and character, Karn just acting.  In Rogue One, I have never been much of a fan of non-Jedi using the force and I do not like Whitaker’s version of Saw Gerrera.  But really for both it was just that I couldn’t put them in the same category as Empire.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I thought they were both excellent.  Just not perfect.  In Andor, I wasn’t a fan of Vel and Karn.  Vel both acting and character, Karn just acting.  In Rogue One, I have never been much of a fan of non-Jedi using the force and I do not like Whitaker’s version of Saw Gerrera.  But really for both it was just that I couldn’t put them in the same category as Empire.

Yikes. 

image.gif.c2b872658c337269cefeda6efdb5d77c.gif

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

You are objectively correct on The Empire Strikes Back, no other live action Star Wars film can stand next to it. On its own, the film is one of the best (on every top “x” movies of all time list), and then every good sequel is now compared to the ESB. Nolan recently said that Denis’ Dune: Part 2 is his own “ESB”. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, I watched it hoping to get some comedy but all I got was bored.

I went back and watched the beginning of Russian Doll. What the hell happened? RD is so good. It looks good, it's got energy, it's got life. Acolyte just lays there lifeless.

10 hours ago, Levi said:

You are objectively correct on The Empire Strikes Back, no other live action Star Wars film can stand next to it. On its own, the film is one of the best (on every top “x” movies of all time list), and then every good sequel is now compared to the ESB. Nolan recently said that Denis’ Dune: Part 2 is his own “ESB”. 

We’ve been over this and over this.  Jedi is better. Randall has spoken. 

7 hours ago, ajax said:

Okay, I watched it hoping to get some comedy but all I got was bored.

I went back and watched the beginning of Russian Doll. What the hell happened? RD is so good. It looks good, it's got energy, it's got life. Acolyte just lays there lifeless.

RD was a good story.  Story is secondary in this... at best.

I never found Leia attractive as a kid.  My adult self is ashamed at how wrong I was. 

Alternatively, I used to have a huge crush on Laura Dern from Jurrasic Park.  

Things all came into perspective with Natalie Portman in attack of the clones.  Oh baby. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I never found Leia attractive as a kid.  My adult self is ashamed at how wrong I was. 

Alternatively, I used to have a huge crush on Laura Dern from Jurrasic Park.  

Things all came into perspective with Natalie Portman in attack of the clones.  Oh baby. 

Glad you cured ur ghey

(I also cured mine as I also did not think she was hot until adulthood)

Edited by Hank_Hill

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can Kennedy be touched? Most organizations would have over corrected at this point. 

The rebuttal was always that she was in charge of the green lighting the good projects as well. It may be time to revisit that notion because her record is starting to get lopsided in the wrong direction and if the Acolyte continues down this horrible path, I don’t see how her seat is not red hot. 

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

The rebuttal was always that she was in charge of the green lighting the good projects as well. It may be time to revisit that notion because her record is starting to get lopsided in the wrong direction and if the Acolyte continues down this horrible path, I don’t see how her seat is not red hot. 

I dunno. Disney is so messed up right now, they might not have a competent executive in LA or Orlando. Iger will bungle his succession, and Kennedy will bask in their inability to move on her. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I dunno. Disney is so messed up right now, they might not have a competent executive in LA or Orlando. Iger will bungle his succession, and Kennedy will bask in their inability to move on her. 

Yeah, you’re right. I don’t know why I said that last part. The ultimate thing with Star Wars—it’s a money printing machine no matter the quality of the product. She will always be able to give Iger big money numbers that he will in return show the board/shareholders and nothing will ever change. 

I knew a not quite executive whose subordinate joked that her computer should only have a “yes” button. I imagine Kennedy is the same way.

I simply cannot understand how they spent so much money on this show. Let alone, why.

This show has definitely entered Ewok TV special badness territory. The Jedi come off as weird religious dorks. These witches are lame unlike the Night Sisters who make the concept of Force magic interesting. I guess they are supposed to represent an alternative to the Jedi but without embracing the dark side. Nothing about this concept is interesting.

On 6/12/2024 at 11:04 AM, Levi said:

How exactly did this episode insult George Lucas and Star Wars?

On 6/12/2024 at 11:05 AM, Js1 said:

Allegedly because the black mom "making" the twins ruins Anakin's backstory.

Even though we don't really know how she "made" them. 

Nothing will ever be worse than the midichlorian shit.  He did not need to add that in at all.  Nobody was looking for a scientific way to ascertain if somebody was a Jedi.  Kid having a temper tantrum and throwing a table across the room should be enough of a clue.

Oh wait, Rise of Skywalker was far, far worse.

and no matter what this show does, it will never insult Lucas and Star Wars as bad as JJ Abrams did with Force Awakens.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

This show has definitely entered Ewok TV special badness territory. The Jedi come off as weird religious dorks. These witches are lame unlike the Night Sisters who make the concept of Force magic interesting. I guess they are supposed to represent an alternative to the Jedi but without embracing the dark side. Nothing about this concept is interesting.

Maybe they are trying to avoid paying royalties to Dave Wolverton and some of the other EU writers.  They can’t get around Timothy Zahn’s contribution, but if they are mining EU stuff, pretty easy to change some names and abilities and still keep the story.

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 8:43 AM, South Austin said:

I'll be in my bunk.

spacer.png

Well, not that bunk.

edit: the Galaxy cruiser resort shit is probably more emblematic of the problems with Star Wars than the Acolyte show

Edited by atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nothing will ever be worse than the midichlorian shit.  He did not need to add that in at all.  Nobody was looking for a scientific way to ascertain if somebody was a Jedi.  Kid having a temper tantrum and throwing a table across the room should be enough of a clue.

Oh wait, Rise of Skywalker was far, far worse.

and no matter what this show does, it will never insult Lucas and Star Wars as bad as JJ Abrams did with Force Awakens.

TFA is good if it’s the first SW movie you’ve ever seen. Then watch the OT and realize JJ did nothing original and completely wasted our time with 3/4 of the film. For me personally TRoS will the ultimate cannon travesty. How the fuck do you bring back Palpatine and ruin Anakin’s entire chosen one arc? The Acolyte might be doing something similar to Anakin. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/13/2024 at 10:24 AM, Buzzrock said:

Trivial thing that annoys me for sure, but I do find it eye-rolly when the new writers feel like they have to come up with things like spice cream. I can’t even really explain why. 

So they can sell them in their theme parks

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe they are trying to avoid paying royalties to Dave Wolverton and some of the other EU writers.  They can’t get around Timothy Zahn’s contribution, but if they are mining EU stuff, pretty easy to change some names and abilities and still keep the story.

But that doesn't explain the Jedi being the Colin Robinson of Jedi.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So they can sell them in their theme parks

There is a 50% I will be buying spice cream in the future.

Edited by F250

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, not that bunk.

edit: the Galaxy cruiser resort shit is probably more emblematic of the problems with Star Wars than the Acolyte show

Extremely long history, review, and explanation of the Star Wars hotel failure. Very damning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, F250 said:

The Jedi come off as weird religious dorks.

I don't disagree with your post, but IMO, isn't the Jedi looking like weird dorks the point? We see their downfall in the prequels in part because of their hubris and insistence on relying on harrumph and traditions. 

I am convinced that the Jedi party we see in ep3 did some unspeakable evil in the name of the Order, and that's at the heart of the story

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, F250 said:

There is a 50% I will be buying spice cream in the future.

The stuff you can make at home might be something fun parents can do with their kids. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I don't disagree with your post, but IMO, isn't the Jedi looking like weird dorks the point? We see their downfall in the prequels in part because of their hubris and insistence on relying on harrumph and traditions. 

I am convinced that the Jedi party we see in ep3 did some unspeakable evil in the name of the Order, and that's at the heart of the story

Yeah, I get that and I understand that not all Jedi are like Kenobi and Anakin but these versions just radiate DPS worker vibes.

3mrcjm.jpg

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

At the very least they are a merry band of nitwits

On 6/14/2024 at 8:53 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Can Kennedy be touched? Most organizations would have over corrected at this point. 

After the outrage from Last Jedi, I think the first over correction was bringing back JJ Abrams for Rise of Skywalker and let him do all his stupid shit because he and Disney thought nostalgia of Palpatine and recycled plot ideas would make the fans happy. Sorry Kennedy and crew, you suck at nostalgia as much as you suck at new concepts and characters. If not for Filoni shows and Rogue One (which spawned Andor), even the dorkiest of us SW fans probably would’ve jumped ship already.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

After the outrage from Last Jedi, I think the first over correction was bringing back JJ Abrams for Rise of Skywalker and let him do all his stupid shit because he and Disney thought nostalgia of Palpatine and recycled plot ideas would make the fans happy.

Not defending it in any way, but they didn't have much to work with. At the end of the second movie of the sequel trilogy, Han, Luke, and the main bad guy were all dead. Well, and Carrie Fisher. They almost had to start over.