The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

16 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

also a bit of a rant time. 

Hide contents

Lucas spent years building up the Jedi's "self preservation spidey sense", fully fledged Knights are supposed to be able to easily detect danger, especially their own personal peril type dangers.

For the most part, we the viewer only see the jedi die when certain events happen; 

they are: distracted, protecting innocents, betrayed, self sacrifice in the face of overwhelming odds, and occasionally are inferior fighters.

NONE of that can explain how the fuck a retired Jedi Master who is hanging out in the relative safety of his own home,  yet somehow manages to get snuck up on in that home with what looks like single way in or out and is cut basically in two without him being unable to even get up from his own chair nor giving any resistance??????????

at the very least, even if he was surprised he should have been dead on the fucking floor, not the chair that he was eating in

I mean you say this and the Jedi didn't sense the Dark Lord of the Sith manipulating everything right under all of their noses. And then when he's revealed he destroys all of the force sent to arrest him but Mace Windu. The Jedi weren't exactly the best at everything. They died by the ton against the droids on Geonosis in the arena.  I think Lucas specifically showed they were flawed and arrogant which led to their downfall. The only two to survive were conveniently the two who are in the OT. They also happened to be two of the better Jedi. 

I agree we're going to need a good explanation to how the Wookie died in his chair. It's definitely a waste of the character though he's going to be in the next flashback that better explains how everyone died in the coven. We'll also need a good explanation for why Ki An Mundi is there hearing about what happened and still feels the "Sith have been extinct for a millenia". I'm still interested in the show but it does have flaws. I feel like it would better to just wait until it was over and then binge the whole thing than this slow release. I think Disney would've been better served to just release it all at one time, Netflix style. The Sith dropping down silently and creeping up to Osha was pretty kickass. Amandla weirdly does a better job acting as Mae than she does as Osha. Osha feels very wooden. The ROUS was pretty goofy. I hope the villain reveal is better than Qimir. At least make him a vessel being used by the Sith. I don't hate this but it definitely has issues.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Hide contents

Lucas spent years building up the Jedi's "self preservation spidey sense", fully fledged Knights are supposed to be able to easily detect danger, especially their own personal peril type dangers.

For the most part, we the viewer only see the jedi die when certain events happen; 

they are: distracted, protecting innocents, betrayed, self sacrifice in the face of overwhelming odds, and occasionally are inferior fighters.

NONE of that can explain how the fuck a retired Jedi Master who is hanging out in the relative safety of his own home,  yet somehow manages to get snuck up on in that home with what looks like single way in or out and is cut basically in two without him being unable to even get up from his own chair nor giving any resistance??????????

at the very least, even if he was surprised he should have been dead on the fucking floor, not the chair that he was eating in

I mean, Yoda sat within feet of arguably the most powerful dark side practitioner in history literally hundreds of times without having a single clue. A powerful dark side user most certainly could sneak up on a seasoned Jedi, especially one that maybe has been sitting on his ass in a forest hut for a while not exercising that particular muscle.

Plenty to criticize here but yet another Jedi being blind to danger isn't really one of them imo

this thread is too much of a beating to go back and find it, but I am about 99% positive someone called this 2 weeks ago when the goofy fuck was first introduced

Yup. Man I get tired of being right all the time.

7 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I still feel like I'm watching the shitastic origin story of the Knights of Ren. 

Nah. Those guys were just guys who followed Kylo Ren, had dumb looking weapons, and had no Force powers. Massive waste of potential by JJ. 

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I mean, Yoda sat within feet of arguably the most powerful dark side practitioner in history literally hundreds of times without having a single clue. A powerful dark side user most certainly could sneak up on a seasoned Jedi, especially one that maybe has been sitting on his ass in a forest hut for a while not exercising that particular muscle.

Plenty to criticize here but yet another Jedi being blind to danger isn't really one of them imo

Yep.  Force "cloud" or whatever they call it.  They can minimize their force "footprint" down to basically zero.  They are of course completely unavailable to use any force abilities, but it's also camouflage.  

Spoiler thoughts

Spoiler

So Ki-Adi-Mundi technically doesn’t know they are going up against a Sith right now. He’s really not even supposed to be alive but I guess that wasn’t official canon. He is still a part of the group that is trying to figure out what is going on. The search party that was sent is going to figure out in the next episode the Sith have to be involved some way. Does an Acolyte automatically connect to the Sith? If it is, we know the Sith from their own words have yet to reveal themselves to Jedi until TPM. Could we be dealing with a rogue acolyte that is going against the Sith plans? Does the Acolyte die along with Jedi search party? The Sith could remain in the shadows, and the Jedi are left trying figure out what happened and ultimately are unsure if the Sith were involved or not.

I’m just trying to figure out how they are going to get around this situation if the dark force user is indeed a Sith. 

Spoiler

I have a few thoughts:

First off - Is anyone else getting Darth Bortles vibes off of Qimir (the alchemist dude who played Jason on The Good Place) like he knows more than he's letting on? Like he's the dude who killed the wookie and has been directing Mae this whole time?

I suspect that the red lightsaber we see at the end of this episode is not the master, but the apprentice at work. And the apprentice is training up his own acolyte so that he can topple his master and become one himself.

Or idk, maybe the show just has bad writing, but I think there's a really neat story unfolding still

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Levi said:

Spoiler thoughts

Reveal hidden contents

So Ki-Adi-Mundi technically doesn’t know they are going up against a Sith right now. He’s really not even supposed to be alive but I guess that wasn’t official canon. He is still a part of the group that is trying to figure out what is going on. The search party that was sent is going to figure out in the next episode the Sith have to be involved some way. Does an Acolyte automatically connect to the Sith? If it is, we know the Sith from their own words have yet to reveal themselves to Jedi until TPM. Could we be dealing with a rogue acolyte that is going against the Sith plans? Does the Acolyte die along with Jedi search party? The Sith could remain in the shadows, and the Jedi are left trying figure out what happened and ultimately are unsure if the Sith were involved or not.

I’m just trying to figure out how they are going to get around this situation if the dark force user is indeed a Sith. 

It's really not that deep:

Screenshot_20240619_130100_YouTube.jpg

Edited by JBJ
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It's really not that deep:

Screenshot_20240619_130100_YouTube.jpg

I wonder if they will keep the part of his lore that he was allowed to have like 6 wives due to his species having low birth rates. 

Alright I'm just going to spoiler this whole post to be safe.  I think it's mostly worthless as I don't have faith that the storywriters have put something logical and consistent together, but it is fun nonetheless:

Spoiler

So this past episode definitely shifted the motivation for killing these Jedi from Mae to The Master.  Mae gives up on it and immediately The Master shows up to do the job. This strongly implies The Master is a witch-mom. 

The Zabrak witch-mom was clearly designed to have an angry and strict personality.  She was furious at the Jedi for showing up and at the witch-leader for playing the whole thing chill.  She's possessive of the twins and irrationally creates friction with the jedi.  She's also missing from the bodies.  And when the generator-thing was having issues in episode 3, she was the one who went to check on it.

So this theory is that the Zabrak-witch-mom finds out witch-mom-leader was going to let Osha leave with the jedi and either rigged the generator to kill everyone or to cover her tracks when she used her secret dark force powers to kill everyone.  She meant to steal the twins away, but the fire prevented her from getting to their room.  So she's out for revenge even though her misfortune is her own doing - because psychopath.

But it wouldn't really make sense to hide her identity from Mae or to show zero cares about finding out Osha is alive at the end of episode 4.

----

But it's also clearly Qirim, who doesn't seem to have any motivation to kill jedi except to stir shit up, but we also know nothing about him.  In fact, the show goes out of it's way to make sure that we are aware that he's hiding his past and motivations.  He also disappears just in time for The Master to show up in this remote location.  It's so blatant that it's almost too dumb.

Maybe he had discovered the twins and was going to kidnap and train them.  He rigged the generator to blow, killed the witches, but couldn't get to the twins before Sol.

---

We've seen clips of a Jedi Wookie fighting The Master, unless they are from a flashback yet to be seen or were cut.  So it's weird that Kalnacca is mysteriously dead ...or is he?  I'm not putting anything past Disney right now.  Reva, Grand Inquisitor, Sabine, and Ahsoka have all been magically resurrected lately.

---

Nerdier people than I are referring to The Master as the titular Acolyte instead of Mae.  Theorizing that he's either some brand of non-sith dark force user or an apprentice of Darth Tenebrous who went rogue and no longer identifies as Sith.  Canonically, Kylo Ren and characters like Starkiller are not Sith because they do not follow the Sith codes.  The are simply dark force users.  So the Jedi council may end up deciding this guy is not a true Sith or maybe he's truly not one. 

Of course, Qirim has already shown some knowledge of Sith teachings and "acolyte" itself refers to a follower of a belief system.

My wife bowed out last night.  It's only 8 episodes, right?  Am I pot committed?

• Hook 'Em 1

last minute made this one the best episode for me. Some continuity issues . I figured Disney would have an expert guy that would just review scripts and go " nah, can't do that"

Oh, and what's with the wookiee costume? ugh

$180 million. I just don't see it in the series 

51 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

last minute made this one the best episode for me. Some continuity issues . I figured Disney would have an expert guy that would just review scripts and go " nah, can't do that"

Oh, and what's with the wookiee costume? ugh

$180 million. I just don't see it in the series 

Filoni was Headland’s advisor on this so I don’t think he’s going to let there be continuity breaking stuff but maybe he will. Lucas bent continuity to his whims frequently 

• Hook 'Em 1

Always kind of annoyed me that in the games,  I could block/counter the force push, but the baddie shows up, and pushes Osha out of the way and then force pushes a group of masters and knights as if they were all unexpecting it.    It is literally what Mae did to some of them before.  

I can see what they were going for with Osha/Jord.  But the execution seems pretty off and it comes off threaded.   

With the canon and George, I think he made it like Star Trek where they were separated from his original ideas but he tried to keep the continuity there when it was possible. At the end of the day, it was always George’s call.

With Ki-Adi-Mundi, he was in three films and was in the clone wars. I believe he was a part of an important Genonosis arc. Everything else was outside of George’s scope more than likely. They’re obviously going a step further with his line from TPM and having him there adds to the mystery right now. 

• Like 2

Episode 4 was by far the best but in no way meaningfully redemptive.  Yord has to be the most unlikable Jedi character imaginable, with Vernestra nipping at his heels.  Even if the plot/writing were dramatically better, it would not be enough to overcome the terrible casting/acting.

• Like 1

E4 wasn’t bad. The writing was still atrocious but it was better than 1-3. I wonder if they filmed this series in episode and scene order which is uncommon. Sol’s delivery has steadily improved with each scene. I thought he was pretty wooden in E1 and his acting has just gotten better. The mop headed Jedi has not improved. I can’t believe he’s a working actor.

I still don’t understand where $180M was spent. The episode’s production value looked closer to Land of the Lost than Star Wars.

On 6/18/2024 at 10:16 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes to all of this. The Jedi are nerfed in this series. Up until now in any previous Star Wars setting when you had that many Jedi in one place they would wreck shop.

Instead, some goofy looking Kylo Ren cosplayer with a home made outfit just force blasts all the Jedi. The Wookie Jedi went down like he was passed out in a chair with an empty bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yes to all of this. The Jedi are nerfed in this series. Up until now in any previous Star Wars setting when you had that many Jedi in one place they would wreck shop.

Instead, some goofy looking Kylo Ren cosplayer with a home made outfit just force blasts all the Jedi. The Wookie Jedi went down like he was passed out in a chair with an empty bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand.

Kylo Ren Cosplayer is......Plagueis

On 6/20/2024 at 9:04 AM, Js1 said:

Nah man, he force yeeted her 

I am happy my kids moved on from this.  

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

E4 wasn’t bad. The writing was still atrocious but it was better than 1-3. I wonder if they filmed this series in episode and scene order which is uncommon. Sol’s delivery has steadily improved with each scene. I thought he was pretty wooden in E1 and his acting has just gotten better. The mop headed Jedi has not improved. I can’t believe he’s a working actor.

I still don’t understand where $180M was spent. The episode’s production value looked closer to Land of the Lost than Star Wars.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is an accounting trick where they are saddling fees in to the costs of this production, such as the rights to buy Star Wars from LucasArts or the studio that Favreau built for Mando (even if they don't use it).   Maybe this is how they bloat the budget for the show, give the director the ability to brag she did a $180 million dollar series, but really only had a much smaller portion at her disposal.    Supposedly, the Wookie Jedi fight scene was cut to to funding according to one thing I read online.   So that doesn't match-up with the listed budget.

• Hook 'Em 1

Episode 4 was by far the best but in no way meaningfully redemptive.  Yord has to be the most unlikable Jedi character imaginable, with Vernestra nipping at his heels.  Even if the plot/writing were dramatically better, it would not be enough to overcome the terrible casting/acting.

“I’m gonna need that blaster from you.”

“No.”

And scene.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I am happy my kids moved on from this.  

The more I think about it, the more I think this is an accounting trick where they are saddling fees in to the costs of this production, such as the rights to buy Star Wars from LucasArts or the studio that Favreau built for Mando (even if they don't use it).   Maybe this is how they bloat the budget for the show, give the director the ability to brag she did a $180 million dollar series, but really only had a much smaller portion at her disposal.    Supposedly, the Wookie Jedi fight scene was cut to to funding according to one thing I read online.   So that doesn't match-up with the listed budget.

Or a safe place to dump paper expenses and cover for other bloated projects.

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

They did two separate rewrites.  The original budget was $75MM, which is still plenty of money.  Revenge of the Sith had a budget a tad over $100MM

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Wow this dialogue is weak

bald master Jedi has a great rack

If we're talking about the same one, that actress was the little girl in Logan. 

And yes, she does.

Fsa8raHWAAED6T5.jpg:large

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Sith being (which I think is somehow their mom) is standing right next to Osha and all the Jedi could say was "stand down."  Like Sol, did you not sense her there?  The Force is not strong within these Jedi and Padawan.  The highlight of his skills so far was slicing a giant june bug in half.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Rage+1 1

Fucking dying at conservative media calling this woke and political and then praising Andor in the next sentence. 

It was about a resistance against a fascist government. How much more political can you get?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Sith being (which I think is somehow their mom) is standing right next to Osha and all the Jedi could say was "stand down."  Like Sol, did you not sense her there?  The Force is not strong within these Jedi and Padawan.  The highlight of his skills so far was slicing a giant june bug in half.

It was no different in TPM when Darth Maul is on Tatooine and Qui Gon doesn’t sense him until he almost runs down Anakin. It’s like spotting a rare creature that you’ve never laid eyes on. Also, dark side as we’ve seen in the prequels is a lot stronger than the Jedi. This is something none of them have experienced. Also, Sol may be clouded by what happened on Osha’s planet. And it’s not the mom but I feel the mom maybe the Sith master. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It was no different in TPM when Darth Maul is on Tatooine and Qui Gon doesn’t sense him until he almost runs down Anakin. It’s like spotting a rare creature that you’ve never laid eyes on. Also, dark side as we’ve seen in the prequels is a lot stronger than the Jedi. This is something none of them have experienced. Also, Sol may be clouded by what happened on Osha’s planet. And it’s not the mom but I feel the mom maybe the Sith master. 

ok thanks George Lucas

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Adam Levine Thumbs Down GIF by The Voice

• Haha 2