The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking dying at conservative media calling this woke and political and then praising Andor in the next sentence. 
It was about a resistance against a fascist government. How much more political can you get?

Why do you give a shit what they think? Let’s get back to making fun of this hilarious pile of garbage.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 10:25 AM, F250 said:

Yes to all of this. The Jedi are nerfed in this series. Up until now in any previous Star Wars setting when you had that many Jedi in one place they would wreck shop.

Instead, some goofy looking Kylo Ren cosplayer with a home made outfit just force blasts all the Jedi. The Wookie Jedi went down like he was passed out in a chair with an empty bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand.

In terms of the star wars universe, isn't that exactly in line with what we hear about the order in the prequels and clone wars TV series? A weak and feckless order that is manipulated into blunder after blunder, ultimately leading to their demise

IMO, I think alot of the reactionary opinions towards this show are just from people who are mad that the Jedi aren't clear cut good guys

Edit: the writing is pretty damn flimsy tho lol, this is below book of boba and obi wan imo

Edited by Captainant

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

IMO, I think alot of the reactionary opinions towards this show are just from people who are mad that the Jedi aren't clear cut good guys

What gives you that impression?

I always thought the Jedi were the clear cut good guys and still do. The Jedi downfall was the obvious hubris and thinking every decision they made was the best one. The Sith have little to no grey area, and knew exactly what they were doing was evil. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Levi said:

I always thought the Jedi were the clear cut good guys and still do. The Jedi downfall was the obvious hubris and thinking every decision they made was the best one. The Sith have little to no grey area, and knew exactly what they were doing was evil. 

Yes, I believe you are correct regarding the flaws of the Jedi. Ahsoka's treatment by the Jedi council and ultimately her rejection of the order in Clone Wars did a job covering this topic. The Jedi in The Acolyte just come off as incompetent and poor wielders of the force.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That would be so dumb it’s bound to happen. Let’s show her death just for the sake of tricking the audience.

I took him to mean that Trinity instigated the massacre of the witches, or at least knowingly took the bait as cover to do so. Which would give Mae the justification for her desire for revenge

Edited by Captainant

I took him to mean that Trinity instigated the massacre of the witches, or at least knowingly took the bait as cover to do so. Which would give Mae the justification for her desire for revenge

Mae threatened her sister over nothing, tried to burn her to death, and choked bugs for amusement. She would justify mass murder over cold fries.

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That would be so dumb it’s bound to happen. Let’s show her death just for the sake of tricking the audience.

You say this like the last two Star Wars series didn’t have 4 different characters get stabbed in the chest and left for dead, then just walk it off later.

• Haha 1

JEZUS christ the dialog in this show is ass my dude. 

and the writers have clearly never actually seen or read any other Star Wars shows. 

Its like they came up with a huge plot... some peon Lucas fact checker said, you cant do this, this or this, cant do this, this way, and you have to be secret about using the Sith thing because, uh... they dont exist and havent existed for 10k years and are kind of a fucking surprise to the Jedi that pops up in Episode 1, and then the writer said, FUCK IT, and writes a Sith storyline anyway. 

also @Buzzrock wins 200 internets for the correct guess 3 eps ago. 

Spoiler

also, htf do 10 jedi not know just from lore that a dude rocking a red sabre is a fucking Sith??.... Sol literally says "you use a jedi weapon, but you are no jedi"   saying it as if a red weapon is just happenstance. 

I know its been something like 10,000 years since the Sith were supposedly active but you would think a specific color sabre that hasnt been seen in 10,000 years would, you know, just possibly trigger a memory of a fucking babayaga story told to Younglings.

so now Mae is going to go play jedi with Sol, somehow completely fooling him the whole time, while Osha gets trained up by the fucking Sith?

• Like 1

It was the best of the 5 so far but it’s been a low bar.

Pro: Sword play really good, Cortosis gauntlet and helmet was/were nasty!
Con: the dialogue was bad… really bad. ROUS moths was dumb, just fight.
Mid: writing and directing was finally better in ep5, hopeful for final 3ep

So Sol can’t sense Mae vs Osha?!?

Bazil can though…

Reveal was so obvious my wife let out a giant “no shit” get on with it

Yourd and Jecki at least we’re allowed to not be the dumbest fucking idiot jedis finally.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

JEZUS christ the dialog in this show is ass my dude. 

and the writers have clearly never actually seen or read any other Star Wars shows. 

Its like they came up with a huge plot... some peon Lucas fact checker said, you cant do this, this or this, cant do this, this way, and you have to be secret about using the Sith thing because, uh... they dont exist and havent existed for 10k years and are kind of a fucking surprise to the Jedi that pops up in Episode 1, and then the writer said, FUCK IT, and writes a Sith storyline anyway. 

also @Buzzrock wins 200 internets for the correct guess 3 eps ago. 

Hide contents

also, htf do 10 jedi not know just from lore that a dude rocking a red sabre is a fucking Sith??.... Sol literally says "you use a jedi weapon, but you are no jedi"   saying it as if a red weapon is just happenstance. 

I know its been something like 10,000 years since the Sith were supposedly active but you would think a specific color sabre that hasnt been seen in 10,000 years would, you know, just possibly trigger a memory of a fucking babayaga story told to Younglings.

so now Mae is going to go play jedi with Sol, somehow completely fooling him the whole time, while Osha gets trained up by the fucking Sith?

Its only a 1,000 years and red doesn’t necessarily equal sith. 

My thoughts after last episode were basically "So....he has to kill them all right?"

At least, that's the way it canonically made sense to me. I suppose, since Sol is the only Jedi that made it out alive, it's still possible the Jedi in this era never find out what really happened on this planet, or they don't believe Sol when he says Sith were involved, etc etc. It feels like they kind of wrote themselves into a corner here.

As far as the dark side guy goes, I figured it would be him but it's pretty obvious he isn't the master. I'd bet a large sum that he's an apprentice, and that whoever his master is won't be happy with him revealing himself.

I'm also not entirely convinced he's actually a Sith. He never actually called himself a Sith, he said the Jedi would call him a Sith.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's clearly an apprentice and not a very good one

Yeah, I think we'll have to wait until the final episode for the reveal of the master. Also, I kind of don't think Sol was fooled since he said "Where's your sister?" instead of "Where's Mae?" If he was fooled, I guess it's forgivable in that moment since whole world had just been rocked: physically, emotionally, and, most importantly, ethically/morally. The show-runners intentionally have branded both twins with a marking on Mae's forehead and a tattoo on Osha's arm that Sol previously mentioned he didn't like, so this parent trap ruse won't last long. Hell, even Pip and Basil already have it figured out.

I'm more interested in finding out whether the Jedi cover this whole thing up or if everyone with firsthand knowledge gets offed before reporting back to the council. I also obviously want to know what the hell they did to the coven and how Mae was selected to be acolyte. What's Qirim's connection to them? Why was he surprised Sol didn't recognize him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

At least, that's the way it canonically made sense to me. I suppose, since Sol is the only Jedi that made it out alive, it's still possible the Jedi in this era never find out what really happened on this planet, or they don't believe Sol when he says Sith were involved, etc etc. It feels like they kind of wrote themselves into a corner here.

I'm pretty much leaning toward the opinion that everything gets covered up because the Jedi are controlling and arrogant and don't want the galaxy to know their failings. After all, we know Mae's little fire didn't kill the whole coven, and clearly, Sol and the other three dead Jedi kept whatever actually happened under wraps. But, yes, your point about him not exactly saying he's a Sith is also true.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm pretty much leaning toward the opinion that everything gets covered up because the Jedi are controlling and arrogant and don't want the galaxy to know their failings. After all, we know Mae's little fire didn't kill the whole coven, and clearly, Sol and the other three dead Jedi kept whatever actually happened under wraps. But, yes, your point about him not exactly saying he's a Sith is also true.

If this happens then it almost ruins everything the Jedi stand for. They have to go with the Jedi got stuck in a sticky situation and had to defend themselves. The Jedi wouldn’t openly start slaying them down left and right without a cause. The Jedi that couldn’t take what happened that due to the nature of the incident is somewhat acceptable. But good Jedi, especially multiple, would come forward to the council and tell the truth. The way Sol has been presented as a character at this point acts as a guy that wouldn’t cover up a crime.

Again, the Jedi are blind and hubris but not intentionally evil. 

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

If this happens then it almost ruins everything the Jedi stand for. They have to go with the Jedi got stuck in a sticky situation and had to defend themselves. The Jedi wouldn’t openly start slaying them down left and right without a cause. The Jedi that couldn’t take what happened that due to the nature of the incident is somewhat acceptable. But good Jedi, especially multiple, would come forward to the council and tell the truth. The way Sol has been presented as a character at this point acts as a guy that wouldn’t cover up a crime.

I'm not saying they went in with the intent of murdering everyone, but something obviously happened, which they kept secret. It might well be the same with Darth Teeth that they never find out for sure that he's a Sith or has a Sith master, so they can go on pretending that the Sith are truly extinct up until Palpatine comes along.

11 minutes ago, Levi said:

Wait, what? You understand that Sol and the Jedi already almost certainly covered up a horrific act against Osha and Mae's family, right? They hinted at his inner darkness and that he's been hiding something like a dozen times in this episode, not to mention all the foreshadowing for it already in this show. And right now, he is the only Jedi that even knows about what happened in this episode.

This is like saying there can't be any bad cops because the good cops would turn them in.

e: Also what @bolverk is absolutely correct, and the Jedi don't have to be evil to do any of that, just weak and afraid. Hell, their weakness and fear ultimately lead to them getting nearly wiped out by Sidious. That's basically the main plot point of the prequels.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Wait, what? You understand that Sol and the Jedi already almost certainly covered up a horrific act against Osha and Mae's family, right? They hinted at his inner darkness and that he's been hiding something like a dozen times in this episode, not to mention all the foreshadowing for it already in this show. And right now, he is the only Jedi that even knows about what happened in this episode.

This is like saying there can't be any bad cops because the good cops would turn them in.

e: Also what @bolverk is absolutely correct, and the Jedi don't have to be evil to do any of that, just weak and afraid. Hell, their weakness and fear ultimately lead to them getting nearly wiped out by Sidious. That's basically the main plot point of the prequels.

Sol damn near turned to the dark side out of anger to kill Darth Teeth.

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm not saying they went in with the intent of murdering everyone, but something obviously happened, which they kept secret. It might well be the same with Darth Teeth that they never find out for sure that he's a Sith or has a Sith master, so they can go on pretending that the Sith are truly extinct up until Palpatine comes along.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I might’ve confused you guys a bit. The Jedi can do wrong. We’ve seen the Jedi make decisions they thought were initially right and then go back and understand their guilt. Ahsoka leaving the Jedi arc is a good example of this. In the prequels the Jedi were blind and going off of the thought there is no way Qui-Gon or what Dooku told Obi-Wan was true. Thats not them being bad cops, but rather just stupid cops making bad decisions that ultimately undermine their ability to keep peace in the galaxy.

Right now we aren’t sure what exactly happened that night, and Sol even says not to listen because his side of the story may be completely different than what Mae saw. From one POV it could look like the Jedi were in the wrong, or the other being the Cult turned things violent. All I was saying that I don’t believe the Jedi could cover something up like that without wonder why one would end leaving the order and the other in a 15 year mediation. The alarm bells would be ringing at the temple. The sith baddy looks to be using the situation to his advantage kinda like how Obi-Wan told Anakin he was lost by palps manipulating him. 

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

But he stopped. Same with Luke almost killing Vader out of anger. 

14 minutes ago, Levi said:

But he stopped. Same with Luke almost killing Vader out of anger. 

True. But Luke also struggled with the dark side at times. I was simply pointing out that Sol has that in him, too. Maybe he didn't have someone back at the coven to hold him back when the twins were young. It's a possibility, at least.

It could also be that the angry one of the two moms is much more powerful than we imagined, and she went into a fit, killing everyone. Or they all got killed in the crossfire between her and the Jedi. Maybe she's still alive and ends up being the Sith master we're speculating about.

I dunno -- just playing out scenarios. Let's just see how this all turns out.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

True. But Luke also struggled with the dark side at times. I was simply pointing out that Sol has that in him, too. Maybe he didn't have someone back at the coven to hold him back when the twins were young. It's a possibility, at least.

It could also be that the angry one of the two moms is much more powerful than we imagined, and she went into a fit, killing everyone. Or they all got killed in the crossfire between her and the Jedi. Maybe she's still alive and ends up being the Sith master we're speculating about.

I dunno -- just playing out scenarios. Let's just see how this all turns out.

Theres been speculation that she is still alive and that would make sense. The big thing with Sol is he stuck up for Osha in the beginning and was one of the few that believed in her. I think it would make more sense that trinity did something dark that night rather than Sol. 

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

Theres been speculation that she is still alive and that would make sense. The big thing with Sol is he stuck up for Osha in the beginning and was one of the few that believed in her. I think it would make more sense that trinity did something dark that night rather than Sol. 

I could buy that at this point, too.

6 hours ago, Levi said:

I think the turn will be that Sol learned about what Trinity did and didn't turn her in. The classic cop conundrum kinda thing

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

One don't have to turn to the dark side to kill.  The guy wiped out a group of Jedi, trained a crappy force user that killed 2 Jedi and he killed a little girl Jedi.  Killing him is the job.  It is not evil, it is how he saves any of the survivors.  To not act, is to risk everyone else's life.   The idea that he weaponless is no longer a threat after he killed a Jedi while unarmed a moment ago right in front of Sol, is silly.   

The idea of letting the bugs kill him was stupid and obviously a failure of a plan.  The light sabers getting damaged was nice, but again they just start right up again (and they overdid it).   The jedi were mediocre at best.  The little padawan was better than most of the other jedi.   The idea that they fight one at a time for the most part is also silly.  None of them used their force powers to attack the Gimp.   Why was Mae fighting the Jedi when she declared she was going to surrender to them last episode, and suddenly she is pulling throwing knives out to kill the little girl Jedi?  Why is Mae wearing chain mail armor and a chest/back plate?   

If Gimp was afraid of Jedi Mind Tricks why didn't they mind trick him once the helmet was removed?  

Overall it was better but it is still a fundamentally flawed show.   I am surprised they killed off the Jord and the little girl jedi (I can't recall her name).  But disappointed they didn't kill off the twins now.  They are just so unlikeable.  Even Jord had more personality.   

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

One don't have to turn to the dark side to kill.  The guy wiped out a group of Jedi, trained a crappy force user that killed 2 Jedi and he killed a little girl Jedi.  Killing him is the job.  It is not evil, it is how he saves any of the survivors.  To not act, is to risk everyone else's life.   The idea that he weaponless is no longer a threat after he killed a Jedi while unarmed a moment ago right in front of Sol, is silly.   

First off, I don't know why you're addressing all these questions at me, but your statements above directly contradict the Jedi Code, which forbids them from killing unarmed opponents. During the 47 years that I've been watching Star Wars shows, I can't recall a single instance of a Jedi intentionally killing an unarmed opponent. I've never read any of the books or comics, so it's possible there are instances I'm unaware of. If you have an example of it happening, enlighten me.

The idea of letting the bugs kill him was stupid and obviously a failure of a plan.

I'm not sure if they had realistic expectations that the flying cockroaches would kill him, but it worked to remove him from the picture for a bit. So, regardless of how cheesy it was, that idea was a success.

The light sabers getting damaged was nice, but again they just start right up again (and they overdid it). 

I think the showrunners were just super-excited to show off the introduction of cortosis to film.

The jedi were mediocre at best.  The little padawan was better than most of the other jedi.   The idea that they fight one at a time for the most part is also silly.  None of them used their force powers to attack the Gimp.

It's nearing the end of the High Republic, yo. Maybe the Jedi Quality Control Team has started slacking off. I don't know what to tell you other than they maybe didn't send their best to support Sol.

Why was Mae fighting the Jedi when she declared she was going to surrender to them last episode, and suddenly she is pulling throwing knives out to kill the little girl Jedi?  

I think what we're seeing with Mae is that she's an opportunist. When she became more scared of the Jedi catching her, she figured she'd be better off turning herself in. On the other hand, when she figured out she was in more immediate danger from Qimir, she quickly switched back over. Her character lives by no "code" other than revenge, which leads her down the path of using the dark side. My guess is that she's not necessarily a true believer in it other than she finds it useful. She is kind of a coward, though, because I think she's been killing off the Jedi more out of fear of her master for not carrying it out.

Why is Mae wearing chain mail armor and a chest/back plate?

She thinks it looks cool? Look, man, armor is armor. Sure, it might not protect against sabers and blasters, but those aren't the only weapons out there, e.g., throwing knives. That's kind of a silly minor detail to bitch about.

If Gimp was afraid of Jedi Mind Tricks why didn't they mind trick him once the helmet was removed? 

Fuck if I know. It was probably a plot hole by the writers but could easily be dismissed as Sol being rattled and a fucking mess.

1. He failed to protect all the other no-name dead Jedi.
  2. He had been getting his ass kicked by a dark force user he's never seen before from out of nowhere.
  3. He knows his big secret about what happened to the witches is about to get out.

Overall it was better but it is still a fundamentally flawed show.   I am surprised they killed off the Jord and the little girl jedi (I can't recall her name).  But disappointed they didn't kill off the twins now.  They are just so unlikeable.  Even Jord had more personality.   

Agreed that the twins are the weakest link in the show, especially going forward when all the dull Jedi with poor acting skills are now dead.