The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

On 6/23/2024 at 3:25 PM, Levi said:

I always thought the Jedi were the clear cut good guys and still do.

Qui-Gon Ginbottle was showing us otherwise though.  Maybe he was the exception, but he played fast and loose with the truth and he happily manipulated and ripped off other people.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, Nivek said:

When TLJ revealed the stormtrooper was black the outcry wasn't racism as much as it was "hey, I thought they were clones of Fett?" in my opinion. 

Seeing the original Star Wars as a little kid, I always assumed they were humans (of a certain size obviously, much like military police used to be of a certain size) and the idea of clone troopers really didn’t enter my mind until the prequels came out. Until then, thanks to all of the EU books I read, the clone stuff was fixated on cloning Jedi, complete with rumors in the 80s or early 90s that Obi-Wan was really Obi-One, a clone or an original copied for clones.  Since the prequels and thanks to the animated shows, it’s been explained that they were clone troopers and then why they switched to human storm troopers when A New Hope rolled around.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sol definitely knew it was Mae by the way he hesitated and asked where her sister was, not where Mae was. Darth Steve also knew it was OHSA that he found. 

That wookie must be a real bitch or was drunk AF to go down like that. If these Jedi are indicative of standard issue Jedi in the late republic, it’s no wonder Obi Wan and Anakin shot up the power rankings so quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Qui-Gon Ginbottle was showing us otherwise though.  Maybe he was the exception, but he played fast and loose with the truth and he happily manipulated and ripped off other people.

Seeing the original Star Wars as a little kid, I always assumed they were humans (of a certain size obviously, much like military police used to be of a certain size) and the idea of clone troopers really didn’t enter my mind until the prequels came out. Until then, thanks to all of the EU books I read, the clone stuff was fixated on cloning Jedi, complete with rumors in the 80s or early 90s that Obi-Wan was really Obi-One, a clone or an original copied for clones.  Since the prequels and thanks to the animated shows, it’s been explained that they were clone troopers and then why they switched to human storm troopers when A New Hope rolled around.

IIRC the part about the Clone Troopers being replaced for regular troopers didn't really come out until after TLJ.   So going into that movie the troopers not being clones of Jango was a surprise.  

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

it was the will of the force to manipulate the dice /s

Ep5 was much better primarily because there was actual action.  The writing wasn't actually much better.  Spoilers:

Spoiler

1) Recurring stuff is starting to bug me about the show's understanding of the Jedi.  (a) Jedi and Charles Xavier are different things.  (b) Weird jedi rules just kind of made up for bad plot points.  Killing an unarmed combatant or attacking from behind. (c) Same in that the jedi preventing training of children seems to be a major plot point with no foundation established.  Maybe that could be a rule that exists in this era, but the show didn't really establish it.

2) The characters can't seem to decide whether Sith should die or not. We don't want to kill him, but also it's okay if we feed him to giant moths?

3)  The Sith's motivations still nebulous.  "I just want to be left alone and to train an apprentice."  So he's literally hunting and killing jedi?  Maybe this is a purposeful misdirection and we'll have a backstory at some point.  Why does he even reveal himself?

4)  I thought Mae wanted to turn herself in?  Why is she trying to avoid arrest?

5) The Sith tries to kill Osha and Mae several times during the episode and then decides to save one at the end.

6) The diaglogue between Osha and Mae was painful.

7) I feel relieved that the goofball and the irritating padawan died.  They were terrible characters.

8 ) Parent trap?  Seriously?

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nivek said:

IIRC the part about the Clone Troopers being replaced for regular troopers didn't really come out until after TLJ.   So going into that movie the troopers not being clones of Jango was a surprise.  

Finn said something in FA about being taken away from his home and family at a young age, "like most troopers."  First Order operated like 3rd-world warlords do to build its forces.

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

That padawan a fuckin g. Damn. I love her fine ass 

Bruh. Holding the saber to the neck. That shit evil dope 

Bruh. I’ve re watched the fights like 8 times now.  This shit was fire!

We cookin now 

Fuck the haters 

for fucks sake, stop posting like a retarded 13 year old wannabe gangster

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I was kinda half joking about parent trap but then they went and did it anyway.

Maybe Mae is going to reunite him with her horn head mommy and they'll end up together in the end!

The fights were pretty kickass. I expected a lot of deaths but not the two that were the most shocking. Took some balls to do that. And I feel like this guy isn't a Sith, he's the original Ren. The armor was well done. Still would be nice to know how he snuck up on the Wookie. I guess a story for a different time. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2024 at 9:25 PM, Buzzrock said:

At least they had the guts to kill off a somewhat likable character (the spiky one)

Jecki fukin threw down. Bad ass lil padiwan.  Yord sucked. 

Buncha huge nerds in here per usual. Can’t ever be satisfied lol. Hey ohh

Edited by utxmike05

9 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Jecki fukin threw down. Bad ass lil padiwan.  Yord sucked. 

Buncha huge nerds in here per usual. Can’t ever be satisfied lol. Hey ohh

Gimp blocked a strike from the back with his arm, and his helmet blocked a lightsaber hit.   Not as bad as the leather jacket saving Finn, but still.  It isn't difficult to not fuck up.  

Edited by Nivek

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Gimp blocked a strike from the back with his left arm, and his helmet blocked a lightsaber hit.   Not as bad as the leather jacket saving Finn, but still.  

His helmet has armor and he's wearing a gauntlet that is like Beskar. According to book nerds, it's from a Legends book and one about Thrawn that Timothy Zahn recently wrote. Cortosis is the material and it disrupts the Kyber crystals inside lightsabers. That's why they shut off and later restarted. If we're okay with the literal plot armor of Beskar that keeps Mando from dying from repeated blaster shots, we should be okay with this new one. 

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cortosis

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Was the lightsaber short circuit thing ever done elsewhere or just some more shit they made up?

I'm pretty sure we're seeing Cortosis on screen for the first time. In legends (and the new comics cannon too actually) it shows it effectively short circuiting lightsabers on contact unless they're finely tuned to the material, or something. The catch is that it's very brittle and prone to shattering so it's not much good for anything except lightsabers

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we're seeing Cortosis on screen for the first time. In legends (and the new comics cannon too actually) it shows it effectively short circuiting lightsabers on contact unless they're finely tuned to the material, or something. The catch is that it's very brittle and prone to shattering so it's not much good for anything except lightsabers

Right where Beskar was an ore and highly resistant to everything including blaster bolts and lightsabers.

Cortosis was a mineral that was highly brittle in pure form. So it was alloyed into metals and made into weaved armor. That way it could deflect blaster bolts and defend against a save strike. The purer the Cortosis, the greater the ability to short out a saber blade but a liability against not energy based weapons.

In Legends a Cortosis Blade was created to kill Vader while he was hunting down Jedi. They lured him into a trap, disabled his saber and almost killed him. He gains control of the blade and kills all the Jedi there with it.

7 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

In Legends a Cortosis Blade was created to kill Vader while he was hunting down Jedi. They lured him into a trap, disabled his saber and almost killed him. He gains control of the blade and kills all the Jedi there with it.

They actually re-cannonized a cortosis blade in the comics! Someone even fought Vader with it

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 1