The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I believe this whole series can be summed up thusly

showrunner: "we need more 5 minutes in this episode somehow"

writers: "we can have Osha and Mae scream each others name. does that work?"

showrunner: "done"

I guess the thing that gets me is where is the oversight? I mean even the most diehard Star Wars fane that loves everything and everyone has to look at this series and go "meh"

and the spent more money than probably any series ever made. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Turning into a random teleporting-body-snatching smoke monster has never been on the bingo card.   where in the holy fuck did the show runners pull that out of?

The night sisters and other force witches have done that before, IIRC. But I can't disagree with your post. The show runners blew a really great opportunity to add a lot of missing depth to the lore.

We got a crappy YA novel, not a dark tale of the sith

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

It was beyond fucking horrible.  the "mistakes/actions made/mistunderstood by both sides resulting in a war" thing is pretty much the only route the could go because of how badly they framed this whole dogshit series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot_plot

Ebert didn't invent, but popularized the term, "idiot plot" -- a story in which the conflicts would be resolved if the characters in it would stop being idiots.

There are times where Idiot Plots work; the example he gave is the 1935 Astaire/Rogers film Top Hat (or any classic mid-century American musical for that matter). Or comedies: The entire film Dude, Where's My Car? hinges on the fact that the characters are idiots. I watched this in grad school with some brilliant people, and we made a drinking game out of it: If you ever found yourself questioning why a character did something, take a drink, because you're clearly not drunk enough to enjoy the show. (We got pretty sloshed.)

But in a drama, it's just infuriating.

Maybe I'll go back and rewatch this show and pretend it was meant to be a comedy? Maybe that'll make it good?

...NAAAAAAAAAHHHH fuck that, I ain't watching this garbage again, sober OR drunk. Not when I've still got 3 seasons of The Boys to catch up on.

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The lightsabers look like fluorescent tube lights. They don’t look right. 

All the flaws with this series, and THAT'S the thing you notice? 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

I guess the thing that gets me is where is the oversight? I mean even the most diehard Star Wars fane that loves everything and everyone has to look at this series and go "meh"

YES. THIS. I mean, think how far off the reservation you've got to go to get ME railing about it. I'm an eternal absolute sucker for all things Star Wars; I love even its most mediocre efforts; I downright worship its best. I watched Solo in a theater, and will argue that it's terribly, awfully, undeservedly underrated. Because it fucking is.

But there's one two Star Wars things that were too much for me. Resistance, and this. But unlike Resistance, I'll actually finish this, because I'm just that sick.

43 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Ebert didn't invent, but popularized the term, "idiot plot" -- a story in which the conflicts would be resolved if the characters in it would stop being idiots.

There are times where Idiot Plots work; the example he gave is the 1935 Astaire/Rogers film Top Hat (or any classic mid-century American musical for that matter). Or comedies: The entire film Dude, Where's My Car? hinges on the fact that the characters are idiots. I watched this in grad school with some brilliant people, and we made a drinking game out of it: If you ever found yourself questioning why a character did something, take a drink, because you're clearly not drunk enough to enjoy the show. (We got pretty sloshed.)

Maybe I'll go back and rewatch this show and pretend it was meant to be a comedy? Maybe that'll make it good?

...NAAAAAAAAAHHHH fuck that, I ain't watching this garbage again, sober OR drunk. Not when I've still got 3 seasons of The Boys to catch up on.

And Jedi masters aren’t supposed to be idiots

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And Jedi masters aren’t supposed to be idiots

let me introduce you to one Ms. Kathleen Kennedy...

Not a big deal in the larger picture of suck, but it is kinda funny that all the male characters are complete idiots(Qimir TBD) and the female characters are not.  

I've got a good feeling about episode 8.  some nice cliffhangers in prep for season 2.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Not a big deal in the larger picture of suck, but it is kinda funny that all the male characters are complete idiots(Qimir TBD) and the female characters are not.  

I've got a good feeling about episode 8.  some nice cliffhangers in prep for season 2.

Oh fuck.   They green lighted a season 2?  Fml

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Unpossible. I would shocked if there was a second season to this shitshow

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

All the flaws with this series, and THAT'S the thing you notice? 🤣🤣🤣

YES. THIS. I mean, think how far off the reservation you've got to go to get ME railing about it. I'm an eternal absolute sucker for all things Star Wars; I love even its most mediocre efforts; I downright worship its best. I watched Solo in a theater, and will argue that it's terribly, awfully, undeservedly underrated. Because it fucking is.

But there's one two Star Wars things that were too much for me. Resistance, and this. But unlike Resistance, I'll actually finish this, because I'm just that sick.

I'm watching just to see how bloody the train wreck really is going to be. They aren't going to stick the landing. Its going to be bad hard and glorious disaster

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone who was sporting a rat tail not be an idiot.

Not being able to spot a sith lord in their midst for years sealed it for me. "The dark side surrounds Palpatine.... but anyway, about this mysterious sith lord pulling the strings... who could it be?". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not being able to spot a sith lord in their midst for years sealed it for me. "The dark side surrounds Palpatine.... but anyway, about this mysterious sith lord pulling the strings... who could it be?". 

The detectives curse

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

Unpossible. I would shocked if there was a second season to this shitshow

it was sarcasm.  Episode 8 is gonna be benny hill like.  including the sped up filming just to close out all the open plot lines complete with the theme music.

• Hook 'Em 1

Major outlets (not fan driven) are already forecasting it. This previous episode was widely criticized. When this thing wraps up on Tuesday I think the official narrative shifts to “this series was a failure.”

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:03 PM, Rimbo said:

We did the 'take a sip every time someone says Dude or Fuck in The Big Lebowski'.   If you're not ready to drink an 18 pack in 1.5 hours, I'd advise against it. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 7/13/2024 at 1:03 PM, Rimbo said:

..NAAAAAAAAAHHHH fuck that, I ain't watching this garbage again, sober OR drunk. Not when I've still got 3 seasons of The Boys to catch up on.

Romeo and Juliet matches this description.

7 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Garbage.

1 cool part. 2 meaningless cameos. No arcs tied up properly. Everyone was unlikeable.

Please don’t give this a second season.

lemme guess if the one part you thought was cool was the same part I thought was cool:

Spoiler

Stop talking.

22 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Garbage.

1 cool part. 2 meaningless cameos. No arcs tied up properly. Everyone was unlikeable.

Please don’t give this a second season.

Quite garbage 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I had to go back and watch that bc I missed it. Probably looked down out of boredom 

I would guess they’re hoping with the 2 cameos enough fans will want a second season and Disney will give it to them. 

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Is that who that was? I just figured it was yet another loose end.

Thats what I saw and what others are saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i am 6 fucking mins into the finale and I want whoever the fucking writers are for this piece of shit to lose their fucking guild card.

this was written by a moron who clearly never watched a fucking second of the original trilogy. Nor have they tried to read a fucking book about how star wars operates.

Pip, and the tracker are CLEARLY fans of Osha, yet they fucking help her do a miraculous escape while TALKING to a fucking Jedi Master who is too stupid to fucking notice shes using the droid to fucking escape???

oh yeah, and the fucking odds of surviving an asteroid belt are approx 3,720 to 1.....  I dont fucking care if those rings are ice crystals, they would fuck up any ship  smaller than a star destroyer.

I have no fucking idea how I am going to watch the rest of this shit

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i am 6 fucking mins into the finale and I want whoever the fucking writers are for this piece of shit to lose their fucking guild card.

this was written by a moron who clearly never watched a fucking second of the original trilogy. Nor have they tried to read a fucking book about how star wars operates.

Pip, and the tracker are CLEARLY fans of Osha, yet they fucking help her do a miraculous escape while TALKING to a fucking Jedi Master who is too stupid to fucking notice shes using the droid to fucking escape???

oh yeah, and the fucking odds of surviving an asteroid belt are approx 3,720 to 1.....  I dont fucking care if those rings are ice crystals, they would fuck up any ship  smaller than a star destroyer.

I have no fucking idea how I am going to watch the rest of this shit

Honestly, you can stop watching after the lightsaber fight.

• Hook 'Em 1

jesus, its getting even fucking worse.

Sol cant fucking sense where Mae is hiding- I mean fuck thats Jedi 101.

oh yeah... and now Osha is using an elevator thats been broken for 15 years..... in a facility WHOSE POWER SUPPLY BLEW UP.... what the fuck is powering the elevator now?

and now for the 2nd time this series, Sol has the half-assed Sith 1 lightsaber stroke away from being ended.  and he doesnt fucking strike. 

and now evil will always triumph... because good is stupid.....

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

That sucked. There is no way on God's green Earth that gets a 2nd season. There are no characters to even get behind minus the Stranger and only because he had some badass scenes where he kicked the ass of the Jedi. Osha sucks. Mae's now a moron. Osha's turn was silly and you could see coming from a mile away. The otter character fucking sucked. Worse than a prequel diner guy who had great intel that Jedi didn't even have.

And now, we're roping Yoda into the conspiracy? Man, people were right about this series. Making Jedi into power hungry people willing to lie to maintain their authority is just fucking shitty. I get that there can be bad Jedi. But to make complicit Jedi is just stupid and a terrible move. I really wanted to like this and hoped it would be something unique. We are as far away from that bad ass episode 5 as we could possibly be. Just a fucking mess of a show. 

Still don't understand why Torbin was fine with offing himself. He was manipulated and then bad shit happened and he had to defend himself.

Disney Star Wars needs to figure out how to make Jedi not suck or be some political force trying to maintain power. Ahsoka is about the only one and she's an existing character that Filoni won't allow people to fuck with. Sabine's a fucking idiot now. Ezra is a monk.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Still don't understand why Torbin was fine with offing himself.

The whole series is like a buffet of bad writing techniques. None of the characters' behavior makes sense at all. Which might have been somewhat forgivable if the story were any good! What even was that plot? It wasn't a rise, it wasn't a fall, it wasn't "man in a hole," it wasn't Cinderella, it wasn't a mystery. It was like one of those stories your kid writes (or you write as a kid):

Spoiler

"And then the guys had a big fight! But suddenly, Osha's BAD! And now Mae has to go away forever. And then she told Yoda."

I mean. God. As bad as Episode 9 was, at least it had a mostly coherent story; "Somehow, Palpatine returned" is iconically bad, but at least the movie has a beginning, middle, and an end, you know why people are doing things mostly even if they're sometimes stupid or the reasons for them aren't ever properly explained. You can enjoy the movie, if you try not to think about some of the plot holes, ignore how stupid the twists are (She's a PALPATINE!), it more or less makes sense within itself and has some really cool SFX like that lightning blast from Palps at the end.

This is just... UGH! Incoherent and ...

I am literally angry at the time I spent watching it.

After this show, all Jedi should die.

The Sith are the good guys or at least better than Jedis.

Trackers are useless.

The senate was feckless.

Yoda is probably the worst Jedi ever.

Droids default to Sith status when hard rebooted.

QGJ at least moved the Jedi forward spiritually despite being a terrible person/jedi.

Crouching tiger hidden Jedi and The matrix strikes back can’t save this.

• Hook 'Em 2

this is Disney.... who the fuck wants good characters to turn to evil just because no one told her that her smoke monster mother was killed doing smoke monster shit?

and dont even get me started on the fucking lightsaber turning red.  

"a pupil of mine who turned to evil"  thats word for fucking word what ObiWan said to Luke... so these asshole writers use that fucking line, while completely fucking up the rest of the cannon. 

12 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

The whole series is like a buffet of bad writing techniques. None of the characters' behavior makes sense at all. Which might have been somewhat forgivable if the story were any good! What even was that plot? It wasn't a rise, it wasn't a fall, it wasn't "man in a hole," it wasn't Cinderella, it wasn't a mystery. It was like one of those stories your kid writes (or you write as a kid):

Hide contents

"And then the guys had a big fight! But suddenly, Osha's BAD! And now Mae has to go away forever. And then she told Yoda."

I mean. God. As bad as Episode 9 was, at least it had a mostly coherent story; "Somehow, Palpatine returned" is iconically bad, but at least the movie has a beginning, middle, and an end, you know why people are doing things mostly even if they're sometimes stupid or the reasons for them aren't ever properly explained. You can enjoy the movie, if you try not to think about some of the plot holes, ignore how stupid the twists are (She's a PALPATINE!), it more or less makes sense within itself and has some really cool SFX like that lightning blast from Palps at the end.

This is just... UGH! Incoherent and ...

I am literally angry at the time I spent watching it.

The series suffers from having a decent idea/vision with absolutely terrible execution. I don’t know how many times I thought I knew what they were trying to do with a character and then be completely confused an episode later. Sometimes from one scene to the next. This really should have been a movie. 

11 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

and dont even get me started on the fucking lightsaber turning red.  

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

This was the dumb icing on a dumb fucking cake.

That shit is actually well established canon, though. Red lightsabers turn red by torturing other-colored khyber crystals into "bleeding" red. Ahsoka got her white ones by healing an Inquisitor's red saber crystals.

As dumb things go, that doesn't even register.

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

That shit is actually well established canon, though. Red lightsabers turn red by torturing other-colored khyber crystals into "bleeding" red. Ahsoka got her white ones by healing an Inquisitor's red saber crystals.

As dumb things go, that doesn't even register.

I think it being a character with hardly any force power used in a long time all of the sudden getting mad and turning it red was dumb. 

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

high quality GIF

There was something there in the beginning….maybe

In this show, I’m pretty sure you could walk up to any Jedi with a hammer hiding behind your back. And then stand there for as long as you want, and then hit them in the head and knock them unconscious.

In this show, I’m pretty sure you could walk up to any Jedi with a hammer hiding behind your back. And then stand there for as long as you want, and then hit them in the head and knock them unconscious.

Based on this show, they’d kill you and blame Porkins or Red Two…
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Levi said:

I think it being a character with hardly any force power used in a long time all of the sudden getting mad and turning it red was dumb. 

Oh, yeah, that was certainly idiotic. If the writing had done ANYTHING to establish that she was powerful... or being seduced by the dark side...

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Worst live action Star Wars ever? Holiday special doesn’t count.

Fuck it, include that. It's still the worst. Include the animated series, too.