The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Yoda knew about this bullshit all along too, and didn’t say anything. I’m mad that this crowd was even allowed to put him in their show. They didn’t deserve it. 

By the end I was having trouble remembering which sister was which. And why were they both king fu experts?

Just terrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

btw... the

'oh, its you... I thought you were dead" spoken internal monologue.... that might have been the absolute height of her acting ability.  its almost like shes fucking the director or something to keep that job

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So Yoda knew about this bullshit all along too, and didn’t say anything. I’m mad that this crowd was even allowed to put him in their show. They didn’t deserve it. 

By the end I was having trouble remembering which sister was which. And why were they both king fu experts?
Just terrible. 

Sooo remember all the chatter and backbending that went on about Ki Adi Mundi earlier?

Just to tie a bow on it… KAM looks even worse now, he and Yoda are ruined.

KAM saw a red sabered villain was killing Jedi, the official “story” is Sol killed them… so KAM actively covers up the story and Yoda is in on it too based on that dumb cameo.

When they do a re-release of The phantom menace instead of making “Han shoot first”, they just need to rename it, “The phantom menace we’ve known about for 100 years and 2 grand master have been actively concealing”
  • Rage+1 2

Disney should hire someone else to retroactively shoot a post credit scene where after Vernestra strolls into Yoda’s office, he immediately senses her hidden evil. And then he force-explodes her medulla oblongata like fucking Scanners.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This was the dumb icing on a dumb fucking cake.

This sums it up for me pretty succinctly. I tried to be patient and not rush to hate it, but was pretty much disengaged before the end of first episode. Watched up through the next to last episode out of morbid curiosity. The descriptions of the final installment are enough to know I don’t need to see it. Surely this doesn’t warrant or receive an other season. 

30 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

and I guess the Sith stopped following the rule of 2 for this series 

Nah. They’ve always had assassins or whatever.  We don’t know what Qimir’s relationship is with *spoiler*. If I had to guess it’s a Palps>Dooku>Ventress situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nah. They’ve always had assassins or whatever.  We don’t know what Qimir’s relationship is with *spoiler*. If I had to guess it’s a Palps>Dooku>Ventress situation. 

Well he says he wants an acolyte. Going off canon, that’s a role for the apprentice when he decides he going after the crown.

Sith master
Sith apprentice
Sith acolyte/assassin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

and I guess the Sith stopped following the rule of 2 for this series 

To be honest, that was the one of the dumbest things Lucas ever introduced.  How could the Sith ever possibly amount to a being a threat when there's only two dudes at a time.  Kill them both and there's no threat.  It's regarded, even for Star Wars.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

To be honest, that was the one of the dumbest things Lucas ever introduced.  How could the Sith ever possibly amount to a being a threat when there's only two dudes at a time.  Kill them both and there's no threat.  It's regarded, even for Star Wars.

its 2 dudes manipulating many dudes. Most of the time they were hidden dudes until it was time to spring the trap

12 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Well he says he wants an acolyte. Going off canon, that’s a role for the apprentice when he decides he going after the crown.

Sith master
Sith apprentice
Sith acolyte/assassin

Right, and that is why it doesn’t break any rules. What made Ventress’ story with Dooku in the clone wars interesting is it allowed us to see that while there are only 2 Sith at a time, they still control some dark side users.  Can be an acolyte/assassin or something like what Palps did with Maul after defeating him and Savage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I dont have an english accent... and I also am not as tough on the pride scale as this guy seems to be.

other than that... he pretty much nailed almost everyone of my complaints already logged on this thread.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The most positive thing I can say about the series is that Amandla Stenberg, whom I'd never heard of before so I did some image googling, has a really nice rack.

unnamed.jpg.4349bb43ad9406eb1afb0cf22168ecfc.jpg

Yep.

Lee Jung-jae's acting and some well-made fight scenes rounded out the handful of good things about the show.

But man... it's impressive that someone actually got paid to write that, when writers with basic competence are starving.

53 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

its 2 dudes manipulating many dudes. Most of the time they were hidden dudes until it was time to spring the trap

Oh My George Takai GIF

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Seeing a HUGE disparity between the audience and critics on e.g. Metacritic, and reading through a few, it's clear why:

They only screened the first 4 episodes to reviewers.

Sneaky fucking trick: Don't show the critics what a goddamn mess the show became in the second half. At least through the first four episodes, there was hope the story might actually become coherent.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

To be honest, that was the one of the dumbest things Lucas ever introduced.  How could the Sith ever possibly amount to a being a threat when there's only two dudes at a time. 

"Sure, I may not look like a Sith. But it helps me sneak up on them."

mqdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The twin on twin fight scene might be the worst fight seen/scene in decades. 

I also didn’t care for the Matrix-y portions of the Sol/Qimir. The slow-mo stuff felt stupid. The rest of the fight was good 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I also didn’t care for the Matrix-y portions of the Sol/Qimir. The slow-mo stuff felt stupid. The rest of the fight was good 

The Crouching Dragon stuff was painful. It’s like instead of slow-mo they just moved the actors really slowly across the stage. Snyder would have done it much better, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never said that before. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

The twin on twin fight scene might be the worst fight seen/scene in decades. 

They did a piss poor job of attempting to show they were the same person by having them do the exact same move in unison. They were so bad at it, that it was just slow and clumsy. Maybe they filmed a walk through rehearsal and said that was good enough for this turd.
  • Haha 1

holy shit that was bad.  the acting was awful but the writing was the worst.  the twin unintended slow motion fight was a riot.  Qimir dude seemed to base his acting on every John Hughes/Teen movie "shitty jock boyfriend".

I really hope they kill this so I can just assume Yoda told the bitch "don't tell me shit. I told you I'm done with you morons and headed to play golf and fish on Dagobah".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm out for revenge on the jedi that killed my mom and destroyed my community.

Nevermind, I'm not.

Wait...Yes, I am.

Nah.

Or am I?

Ciritcs: MYSTERY!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

holy shit that was bad.  the acting was awful but the writing was the worst.  the twin unintended slow motion fight was a riot.  Qimir dude seemed to base his acting on every John Hughes/Teen movie "shitty jock boyfriend".

I really hope they kill this so I can just assume Yoda told the bitch "don't tell me shit. I told you I'm done with you morons and headed to play golf and fish on Dagobah".

Yep but instead of type cast as long duck dong he plays the Judd Nelson character

12 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I liked it.  

damn. Now I want season 2.  But I want it dropped all at once. 

[Image - 155222] | Futurama Fry / Not Sure If | Know Your Meme

But if you are then I am glad someone liked it. It just wasn't for me. Maybe enough people will enjoy it(but not too many for a second season) for Disney to take a serious look and make better Star Wars shows and movies. With better directors and writers and actors and acting and special effects and plots and some form of freaking continuity and some form of canon and on and on and on

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBJ said:

Nevermind, I'm not.

Wait...Yes, I am.

Nah.

Or am I?

I hated this show.

That being said, if they really are the embodiment of one person (split in two), then representing the duality of their opinion on this makes sense. It would also follow, though, that there's not going to be a time where they are both "good" or "bad", only that they can both be "neutral" (conflicted, torn, confused, whatevs) at the same time.

12 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I liked it.  

damn. Now I want season 2.  But I want it dropped all at once. 

We can watch it together since we are seemingly the only 2 that enjoyed it. I don’t disagree some things could have been better but overall I and my family liked it

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, JBJ said:

My wife and I just just finished.  She's so upset she won't talk about the series.

Me and your wife are on the same page, except I'm ranting.

I've only been this angry at a piece of fiction one other time: After reading Heinlein's alleged novel, Number of the Beast. I tossed the paperback across my wife's living room when I finished.

6 hours ago, JBJ said:

Nevermind, I'm not.

Wait...Yes, I am.

Nah.

Or am I?

Like I said above, the critics only saw the first 4 episodes. I saw promise and potential at that point, too. It was only when the 7th episode dropped that I realized it wasn't "mystery," it was a writer who had no idea how to write a story of any kind.

After episode 6, I thought it could be improved by making it a single feature-length film. Now I know better.

There's no saving writing THIS bad.

Last night, my son and I watched the direct-to-Netflix J-Lo thing Atlas. It's flawed and predictable; it has some really good things (great references to Titanfall, which was the only reason he was interested; J-Lo in yoga pants, who impressed my boy even though she's older than his mother; and the bit in Act 2 when Atlas and Smith are getting to know each other is some great, not good, dialogue).

And every time we came across something trite or predictable, I'd mutter, "Still better than the Acolyte." Because it fucking IS: At least something trite and predictable is COHERENT! You get no money for betting on what happens at the end, but at least it makes SENSE.

I'm so mad at this show because in the hands of someone with even BASIC competence in writing it would have been GOOD.

Edited by Rimbo

Also the ep3 & 7 rashomon bit failed miserably to me.

This didn’t show the same story from to different lying perspectives. Instead to me it basically showed snippets of a story and then the unraveling of that story. I don’t care if they made parts darker when Sol was being bad. The whole point is to tell the same story from multiple liars.

Bleh I’m frustrated with this show. Everytime I jump onto X more engagement farming pops up with terrible views or just outright “yeah but this saber play was better than anything ever!”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

We can watch it together since we are seemingly the only 2 that enjoyed it. I don’t disagree some things could have been better but overall I and my family liked it

I will say that Osha’s turn to the dark side made much more sense to me than Anakin’s in the prequels. Yes it’s a poorly acted mess, but I don’t take Star Wars that seriously 

26 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Also the ep3 & 7 rashomon bit failed miserably to me.

This didn’t show the same story from to different lying perspectives. Instead to me it basically showed snippets of a story and then the unraveling of that story. I don’t care if they made parts darker when Sol was being bad. The whole point is to tell the same story from multiple liars.

Bleh I’m frustrated with this show. Everytime I jump onto X more engagement farming pops up with terrible views or just outright “yeah but this saber play was better than anything ever!” emoji2359.png

I don’t think this is being said enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I did not invest a second on this series. I was waiting until the end to see what the feeling was. Judging from this page alone, I'm good with continuing to stay the fuck away. 

Thanks for watching this shit so that I don't have to. Y'all da real MVP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I rewatched Obi Wan recently. Was a good series, and a while this had good fight scenes, I feel like it had the best saber scene. Ever. 

Better than Maul vs Kenobi?

15 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Personally, yes I think so. And that’s not a knock against Maul v Kenobi. 

I'll admit that the light saber scene in Alcolyte was choreographed pretty good. I didn't care for the Matrix time freeze effects and just didn't really care about either character winning.