The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

I finally was able to wrap up this show.

Christ it was shit. Meandering pointless shit that made no sense.

There isn't much to say that hasn't been said about this show. After the 5th episode, when things were cool - it just ran off the track. It was like they were filming and they said - ok, Episode 6, 7 and 8 start filming tomorrow. And the writers were like SHIT YOU WANT MORE?

Go Faster Wallace And Gromit GIF by Aardman Animations

What a waste of time. Fuck that cliff hanger, just end it all.

• Hook 'Em 4

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey Honey - I'm headed to GameStop to pick up that limited edition Torbin action figure for little Billy's birthday gift. You know, Torbin... the Jedi that committed suicide."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I learned my lesson after GoT. It was re-enforced with the Obi series. Not watching any series until the end when reviews come out. 

Hollywood has very low standards now.

Is it shit?

Yes

But will it make money?

Yes, probably.

Ok, let's do it. And cut back on everything, special effects, hire cheapest writers in fact check out writers of fan fiction on reddit, hire actors/actresses who will work for food...you get the idea.

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I learned my lesson after GoT. It was re-enforced with the Obi series. Not watching any series until the end when reviews come out. 

Hollywood has very low standards now.

Is it shit?

Yes

But will it make money?

Yes, probably.

Ok, let's do it. And cut back on everything, special effects, hire cheapest writers in fact check out writers of fan fiction on reddit, hire actors/actresses who will work for food...you get the idea.

It will make some money and be given a second season. The SW brand is so strong many will watch till the end hoping for good star wars content even if they are not enjoying it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I will say that Osha’s turn to the dark side made much more sense to me than Anakin’s in the prequels. Yes it’s a poorly acted mess, but I don’t take Star Wars that seriously 

Not really. Anakin was being manipulated by a veteran politician, and was getting pushback from Jedi leadership about getting promoted. Mace Windu telling Anakin he did not trust him. Dreams of his wife’s death. The Jedi being shitty to Ashoka which caused her to leave. His upbringing as a slave. His slaying of the Tuskens and failing to save his mother, which gets him mad pussy. Kenobi not trusting him, and faking his own death which nearly drove him insane. All around him, he had trust issues, heck he was born in slavery.

Osha attacked and downloaded new force powers for reasons. How adults couldn’t find 30 seconds to say “your 1 mom turned into a smoke monster and was vaporizing your sister after talking about sacrificing you and Mae” so I stabbed her thinking she was attacking us and killing Mae. I regret my actions that led to the loss of life, but in the moment it seemed logical and prudent given the situation.”
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I would also add that the saber fight scenes were pretty good, especially the padawans actors were able to pull it off quite well.   But the Mae/Osha fight was pretty meh.  Which is odd because she was outclassed basically everybody else.   The Korean dude learned a new language for the damn role, she could have tried to put in more effort here (however if she was cast late, that might explain why).

But good lightsaber combat isn't going to save a show.  This isn't 1968 where a car chase can make a film (Bullitt).  

2 questions

First, Osha and Mae were so unlikeable. Audience investment into a character has to be earned. Did they even try to make her/them likeable?

Second - this was one of the most expensive shows Disney has ever made. Where did the money go? There weren't any big stars eating up pay. It wasn't the sets. The effects look bad. Stunts maybe. There was a lot of wire work but that's cheap.

2 questions
First, Osha and Mae were so unlikeable. Audience investment into a character has to be earned. Did they even try to make her/them likeable?
Second - this was one of the most expensive shows Disney has ever made. Where did the money go? There weren't any big stars eating up pay. It wasn't the sets. The effects look bad. Stunts maybe. There was a lot of wire work but that's cheap.

My daughter said that they had less money but had to put more in for reshoots but I can’t find any confirmation on this.

But yeah for $180 it did not feel like it.

What’s frustrating about this show is that if you were handed a preproduction story outline, you’d be like “fuck yeah, let’s do this.”

The writing, acting, directing, and execution were complete shit for a pretty decent idea.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ajax said:

2 questions

I think the actress is just not that good but the writing did her no favors.  

I think the money is a bit of financial wizardry.   No way they spent $180 million on this.  There has to be some cost of the purchase of SW IP being saddled here as well as the studio or something like that.

Here’s another problem.  I don’t know who to root for?  Who’s the hero?

Well going forward the Jedi are the evil ones. So maybe Baylan when he gets recast.

I woulda said droids were still ok to root for but Pip providing evidence that further reinforces all droids are sith until captured and reprogrammed.
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Well going forward the Jedi are the evil ones. So maybe Baylan when he gets recast.

I woulda said droids were still ok to root for but Pip providing evidence that further reinforces all droids are sith until captured and reprogrammed.

This is a bit simplistic. Ezra isn't evil. Ahsoka isn't evil. Jehki and Yord weren't evil. Sabine might be stupid but she's not evil. She's just a flawed character who has dealt with a lot of loss and took the Anakin route to see Ezra again. She also shouldn't be a Jedi. But yes, in this show, there are no heroes to root for unless you root for the villains, which some seem to do. Outside of this forum, I see tons of people who enjoyed the show and are looking forward to a 2nd season. I don't and I doubt I'll watch if it somehow gets renewed.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Here’s another problem.  I don’t know who to root for?  Who’s the hero?

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

There isn't always a hero

See, I get that, but this wasn't, say, that horribly underrated Mel Gibson flick Payback where there's bad guys against bad guys, but they're all really charismatic bad guys so you more or less pull for 'em.* There was probably supposed to be someone to root for -- maybe Sol, perhaps? At least, before the script turned him into a stupid shithead -- but the script made them all awful, and the acting (again, outside of Sol) did them few favors.

So eventually, I'm just rooting for the meteor strike.

* "The movie's publicity makes much of the fact that the hero, named Porter, is a bad guy. It quotes the director, Brian Helgeland: 'I wanted to see a bad guy as the hero, but I didn't want to make excuses for him.' Of course, if the bad guy is played by Mel Gibson, you don't have to make the same kinds of excuses as if he's played by, say, James Woods." --Roger Ebert

This is a bit simplistic. Ezra isn't evil. Ahsoka isn't evil. Jehki and Yord weren't evil. Sabine might be stupid but she's not evil. She's just a flawed character who has dealt with a lot of loss and took the Anakin route to see Ezra again. She also shouldn't be a Jedi. But yes, in this show, there are no heroes to root for unless you root for the villains, which some seem to do. Outside of this forum, I see tons of people who enjoyed the show and are looking forward to a 2nd season. I don't and I doubt I'll watch if it somehow gets renewed.

Sadly you named only Ezra that kinda makes your point.

Ahsoka is no Jedi.

Yord and Jecki were killed off right after being introduced so they are a non-issue. Sabine was a failed Jedi, like Osha but at least was committed to the rebellion thankfully instead of whatever Osha decided.

That was the creative part of Ezra and Kanan, Kanan struggled with order 66. Ezra struggled with his connection to living creatures and the force, he showed his weakness at times to the dark side but resoundingly found his path along the light side.

I know I’m being narrow minded but that’s what pissed me off about the shitty writing here. There was so much potential to get creative in a window that could live within itself and instead it decided to shit on known characters including Yoda. And this is worse than Luke throwing his (and his dad’s) saber off a cliff despite Rey bringing it to him…

If Skeleton Crew does some crazy story line introducing an arc that presents Jabba the Hutt as a secret Sith master or some shit I’ll lose my mind. /s
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

It's almost like they forgot something

Hide contents

wbzf70n10h091.png?auto=webp&s=ef9003489126d40c09520b616487ab79b3cc3b1a

Yeah welcome to this thread. Instead of Anakin (and maybe Grogu?) being some one of a kind miracle (with influence by Darth Plagueis or Sidious), we have lesbian witches splitting zygotes to create twins without pronouns, and the new canonical backstory is Darth Plagueis was voyeuristically watching it all from the cave with his man boy, and stole the witches’ intellectual property to create Anakin. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Shmi created Anakin from masturbation with the force. . . which is cool

But when I Google "Force masturbation", I get to spend the rest of the day with HR. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just hope that in S2 we get a proper back story for Schmi Skywalker. Like she was a massive hutt slut that got around with all the Gamorreans but got in a little too deep financially.

And her last big move was pulling a heist on the Tuskens for one last spice score but Gardulla the Hutt double crosses her and instead gives her over to Watto as a slave.

Thus we really find out Anakin wasn’t the force reacting to Plageuis the peeping tom but instead he was the Force providing balance to Tatooine by becoming Vader, keeping Boba Fett alive and employed and thus restoring order to the Tuskens and Hutt cartel.

Boom! Smash wipe to Darth Bane secretly alive with his pet Sarlacc watching from a sand dune!

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah welcome to this thread. Instead of Anakin (and maybe Grogu?) being some one of a kind miracle (with influence by Darth Plagueis or Sidious), we have lesbian witches splitting zygotes to create twins without pronouns, and the new canonical backstory is Darth Plagueis was voyeuristically watching it all from the cave with his man boy, and stole the witches’ intellectual property to create Anakin. 

I can’t believe he wasn’t canceled for cultural appropriation.

Waited until the roll out was complete before turning on D+ to binge it.  Knocked it out over the past couple of days. 

By Star Wars standards, it is definitely below average.    That said, I always enjoy another peek into the Star Wars universe, especially if it tries to do something a bit different.   They get points for effort.   New worlds, new force users, new mythology, I’m here for it.  

You’ve got to expect that a sprawling IP like Star Wars is going to have some sub-par entries.  Keep experimenting and trying new things and it will give us more gems, too.  

We can’t have it both ways.  Can’t complain that TFA is a retread of ANH or “enough of the Skywalkers” and then turn around and bitch when a completely new story is put forward, even if it doesn’t 100% work.  

Star Wars isn’t going anywhere, and I’m glad that we no longer have to wait over a decade between entries.  The faster pace is worth a less than stellar entry every once in a while.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Waited until the roll out was complete before turning on D+ to binge it.  Knocked it out over the past couple of days. 

By Star Wars standards, it is definitely below average.    That said, I always enjoy another peek into the Star Wars universe, especially if it tries to do something a bit different.   They get points for effort.   New worlds, new force users, new mythology, I’m here for it.  

You’ve got to expect that a sprawling IP like Star Wars is going to have some sub-par entries.  Keep experimenting and trying new things and it will give us more gems, too.  

We can’t have it both ways.  Can’t complain that TFA is a retread of ANH or “enough of the Skywalkers” and then turn around and bitch when a completely new story is put forward, even if it doesn’t 100% work.  

Star Wars isn’t going anywhere, and I’m glad that we no longer have to wait over a decade between entries.  The faster pace is worth a less than stellar entry every once in a while.  

My biggest complaint with Acolyte is that much like the sequel trilogy, it has very weak story telling. There's no "because of... therefore...." with the characters, and it's all "and then.... and then...." that's moving the plot forward. 

Thankfully, it's not as contrived as a puzzle knife that's the solution to TWO macguffins in ROS, but the writers left so many threads unused and just dangling in Acolyte. 

I agree with the spirit of your post though, I love seeing more aspects of Star Wars and am happy to take a few C-'s and D's if it means we get the highs of Andor and Bad Batch s3

And that’s the problem.

I feel like this coulda been a completely stand alone entry. Instead they kept forcing in KAM and Yoda which makes “stand alone” moments instead become “wait did we just rewrite key parts of Ep 1, 4 & 7?!?”

They picked a time period that was ripe for exploration, even introduced some interesting Jedi and dark users, had a theme that coulda been interesting but instead of exploring, I feel like they divided that their path would be divisive and forcing the “issues”

And lastly I feel like the writing left way too many arcs all screwy and poorly answered if even answered

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

And that’s the problem.

I feel like this coulda been a completely stand alone entry. Instead they kept forcing in KAM and Yoda which makes “stand alone” moments instead become “wait did we just rewrite key parts of Ep 1, 4 & 7?!?”

They picked a time period that was ripe for exploration, even introduced some interesting Jedi and dark users, had a theme that coulda been interesting but instead of exploring, I feel like they divided that their path would be divisive and forcing the “issues”

And lastly I feel like the writing left way too many arcs all screwy and poorly answered if even answered

I have many issues with this show but what I really don't enjoy is twisting existing canon with new ideas because "Yoda must've known something since he knew the Rule of Two in TPM". I hate prequels backbending to add new motivations for characters. It was actually something I hated that Lucas did in prequels and Clone Wars. Tell a wholly independent story from what's come before. Adding Yoda and KAM just elicits an eye roll because now you've changed their character arcs that were already set. This isn't Rogue One where we already knew Vader was on the hunt for the plans. I really didn't mind Obi Wan for this reason even if it had other issues (like adding Leia when that was unnecessary) as it tied directly to those two characters and was more about Obi Wan dealing with his failure. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

No one is bitching about a new story. New stories are great. Shit stories are shit.

It really is incredible how you always link the biggest pieces of shit on Twitter lol. That profile is just a star wars themed culture war screed, they've even been noted a few times for tweeting angrily about shit that didn't happen lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)

I think she's kind of an idiot that knows enough buzz words to appeal to other idiots.  The protection of a mentor in a master-apprentice and even father-child relationship is not the same thing as benign sexism.

Or that's what she actually meant, but she wrote the show completely wrong.  This might be more likely because the show was written that Osha killed Sol because he killed her Mom and has been lying to her.

Edited by JBJ

SIAP but Manny Jacinto addressed the criticism in a pretty good way:

“It’s a cycle....With everything that’s come out since the original trilogy, there’s always a very passionate group that doesn’t like change, that wants that same feeling that they experienced when they were kids, only now they've grown up and their taste has matured and they're more critical about art or the world, and then they are just more precious about the things that they experienced when they were younger.”

Jason Mendoza GIFs | Tenor

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

SIAP but Manny Jacinto addressed the criticism in a pretty good way:

Jason Mendoza GIFs | Tenor

I like change, but I don't like change for the reasons stated mostly in this thread. This series is one of the lowest points in Star Wars because its crap