The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean this is kind of insane. They had a panel for Qimir at D23. They announced books for it. The replicas of the helmet he wore sold out when it was put up. I wonder if it gets pulled from Disney+ like Willow was.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I think the media needs to have a discussion with the fans rather than writing them off as sexist white supremacists that live in their mothers’ basements. Plenty of 30 and 40 something normals that grew up on the trilogy in the fanbase. They might be the majority. Almost all of the criticisms I’ve seen here and on Reddit are valid criticisms of the story telling, acting, directing, and writing. 

The big media outlets are howling that The Acolyte didn’t get a fair chance. Disney gave Headland 329 minutes and $180 million to tell her story. She failed because the show isn’t any good. 

For perspective, Dune II cost $190 million. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the media needs to have a discussion with the fans rather than writing them off as sexist white supremacists that live in their mothers’ basements. Plenty of 30 and 40 something normals that grew up on the trilogy in the fanbase. They might be the majority. Almost all of the criticisms I’ve seen here and on Reddit are valid criticisms of the story telling, acting, directing, and writing. 

The big media outlets are howling that The Acolyte didn’t get a fair chance. Disney gave Headland 329 minutes and $180 million to tell her story. She failed because the show isn’t any good. 

For perspective, Dune II cost $190 million. 

The fans want Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie back. Why do you think the Luke episode of Mandalorian was so highly rated? They want fan service. It's up to Lucasfilm and Disney to give us new things like Rogue One, Andor, Ahsoka, and the Mandalorian so that those things can be the next obsession. Honestly, I wish Disney would just go media silent and stop worrying about the latest Twitter outrage or clickbait YouTube personality. We and they cater way too much to negative shitbags. It gets very tiring. I give George a ton of credit. He got angry at the criticism but he made the stories he wanted to make and didn't apologize or adjust when people didn't like them. He knew his job was to put out the content and people either liked it or they didn't. 

Now, that doesn't excuse Lucasfilm and Disney from making bad choices, bad decisions or mediocre content. But I don't want to turn the franchise over to the fans. They will just want what they got when they were kids. That time is gone. You will never be that kid again and nothing will be as good as when you were the age. You'll just be chasing that feeling for the rest of your life. Either watch it or move on.

And maybe we all should stop worrying about what the media or fan sites say and just enjoy the content we enjoy and ignore the content we don't.

• Hook 'Em 5

I dont wholly fault Disney. Its a natural response to defend your product when it goes sour. They simply followed where they thought the money will be, and when it turned out the show was a flopped, they pulled the plug.

It is a media thing, where they are over-represented by fanatic ideologues wielding 'bigotry' as a cudgel. Or they amplify the voices of those who are. Because it isnt just with the Disney/SW products -- remember Captain Marvel? Ghostbusters reboot? Hell, remember Charlie Strong Texas Football?

The arbiters of good taste and exemplary morals says no, no, it's not that the product is bad causing your dislike, it must be your latent hatred of xxx marginalized groups....in this case millionaire producers, actors, and coaches. And if that is in fact true for 1 person out of a hundred million, that'll be the cherry they pick to poison the well for everyone else.

Ignore those 'negative shitbags' and let them wallow in their self-righteousness.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

The fans want Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie back. Why do you think the Luke episode of Mandalorian was so highly rated? They want fan service. It's up to Lucasfilm and Disney to give us new things like Rogue One, Andor, Ahsoka, and the Mandalorian so that those things can be the next obsession. Honestly, I wish Disney would just go media silent and stop worrying about the latest Twitter outrage or clickbait YouTube personality. We and they cater way too much to negative shitbags. It gets very tiring. I give George a ton of credit. He got angry at the criticism but he made the stories he wanted to make and didn't apologize or adjust when people didn't like them. He knew his job was to put out the content and people either liked it or they didn't. 

Now, that doesn't excuse Lucasfilm and Disney from making bad choices, bad decisions or mediocre content. But I don't want to turn the franchise over to the fans. They will just want what they got when they were kids. That time is gone. You will never be that kid again and nothing will be as good as when you were the age. You'll just be chasing that feeling for the rest of your life. Either watch it or move on.

And maybe we all should stop worrying about what the media or fan sites say and just enjoy the content we enjoy and ignore the content we don't.

The Office Thank You GIF

I sincerely hope there is a behind the scenes book written about this show. $180 million dollars, $550,000 per minute. It feels like Disney was grafted. Headland used all of her own people, including her spouse, to make one of the most expensive shows in the history of television. Perhaps, she used Disney as a cash grab and didn’t care about quality. The giddy interviews leading up to the release felt like somebody getting one over on the studio. It could explain Disney’s pettiness. I don’t think an audit would go well here. 

If you don’t think this sort of thing happens in the entertainment business, go read up on Sheridan, Yellowstone, and Paramount. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I sincerely hope there is a behind the scenes book written about this show. $180 million dollars, $550,000 per minute. It feels like Disney was grafted. Headland used all of her own people, including her spouse, to make one of the most expensive shows in the history of television. Perhaps, she used Disney as a cash grab and didn’t care about quality. The giddy interviews leading up to the release felt like somebody getting one over on the studio. It could explain Disney’s pettiness. I don’t think an audit would go well here. 

If you don’t think this sort of thing happens in the entertainment business, go read up on Sheridan, Yellowstone, and Paramount. 

That kind of stuff usually happens after the studio screws up the show or gets too controlling. I don't know of that ever happening FROM THE BEGINNING. 

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

*grifted

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think this was one of the productions that have Covid affecting it so maybe that explains some of the bloated budget. I don't think she was doing a cash grab or trying to pull over something on Disney. She definitely appears to be a fan of the franchise, especially the prequels. Perhaps Disney should just be done with TV Star Wars unless it's animated going forward. Just focus on movies again. Disney+ is no longer paying off. 

10 hours ago, mdmost said:

do people on this site really worry about what the media or fan sites are saying?  and yes what they need to do is stop trying to force feed crap and make good shit that people like, like the 4 you mentioned, which aren't really "fan service" at all.  the problem is they need something new regardless of how good it is to keep streaming going.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I sincerely hope there is a behind the scenes book written about this show.

Serious question - unless you’re a Disney shareholder, why do you care so much? The show is over. Move on. You seem to want to get your outrage jollies over the autopsy of this show that seemingly no one liked but has more discourse than any other Disney show or movie the last couple years. 

let it go GIF

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

do people on this site really worry about what the media or fan sites are saying?  and yes what they need to do is stop trying to force feed crap and make good shit that people like, like the 4 you mentioned, which aren't really "fan service" at all.  the problem is they need something new regardless of how good it is to keep streaming going.

Ahsoka, outside of Baylon, is 100% fan service. She's a Clone Wars favorite and you have to be a fan of Rebels to understand who Ezra, Sabine, and Thrawn are unless you read the Zahn Trilogy. Again, another fan specific character. People thought the third season of Mandalorian was mediocre because it leaned too much into the Mandalorian lore from Clone Wars. 

My preference is go way into the future or way into the past. Stop putting anything around the established timeline. That's what Shawn Levy and James Manigold are supposedly doing with their movies. But yes, also focus on quality and good storytelling. Something this show did not do which is sad because a Sith-centric show was a new concept that was interesting to explore. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Ahsoka, outside of Baylon, is 100% fan service. She's a Clone Wars favorite and you have to be a fan of Rebels to understand who Ezra, Sabine, and Thrawn are unless you read the Zahn Trilogy. Again, another fan specific character. People thought the third season of Mandalorian was mediocre because it leaned too much into the Mandalorian lore from Clone Wars. 

My preference is go way into the future or way into the past. Stop putting anything around the established timeline. That's why Shawn Levy and James Manigold are supposedly doing with their movies. But yes, also focus on quality and good storytelling. Something this show did not do which is sad because a Sith-centric show was a new concept that was interesting to explore. 

That is my point.  Many, many Star Wars fans don't know anything or very little about Ahsoka, so it is a new character to them, but it was still good and had some connection to the movie characters obviously.  I think Mandalorian season 3, it had just run it's course.  There are different levels of SW fans(movie only, movie and animation, movie/animation/books). 

you don't have to have the sole or major focus be a major movie character you just have to think a bit on how to incorporate some of the "legend".

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Serious question - unless you’re a Disney shareholder, why do you care so much? The show is over. Move on. You seem to want to get your outrage jollies over the autopsy of this show that seemingly no one liked but has more discourse than any other Disney show or movie the last couple years. 

let it go GIF

IMO, the way to stop the discourse is to put out some new crap stat...

Andor was basically all new characters, we had seen some before but thet weren't really developed (Mon Mothma, Luther, Andor).  We already know what happens to Andor, so there was no reason to be heavily invested.   And yet....

Andor didn't do well at launch, but it's one of those things that grew via word of mouth.  Just make something good and people will come.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

DGAFIAP

yep, I am a middle aged straight white guy, so I know I am not allowed to talk about diversity because I dont know what its like....  but the fun part about that is it makes a perfect fort to hide behind when the shit hits the fan.

there may have been a few channels screaming woke-ness. but for most of the channels, they were pretty pissed at the plot, the writing, especially writing having to do with sticking with known cannon regarding how the force works, how the Jedi are trained to act and how jedi actions are thought through.  

The "gotcha" surprise attack from behind is only supposed to work if the jedi is completely overloaded trying to defend themselves or others. 

This shows very first fucking episode started with a gotcha where a Master was so distracted trying to help a single innocent from a SINGLE attack, that they completely forgot about the lightsaber wielding dark user in front of them.   and then doubled down on that where 2 other Masters got taken out by surprise attacks, and the 4th just decided fuck it, im gonna drink poison cause I couldnt control my mind being taken over.

this fucker whining about the production people being fucked by Disney seems to have no fucking idea that the writing team is who fucked them all from the very beginning, by writing a completely unbelievable Jedi-led tale of multiple "light-side" masters keeping pretty heavy secrets for 16 years, and then doubling down on that fuckery by ending with the lead Master lying to everyone else except Yoda.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, mdmost said:

I disagree. The fans want good stories told well in their beloved universe. They read the books, played the video games, grew up on the OT and have watched a steady stream of mostly garbage ever since. Everyone loved Andor for a reason: it was good. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

yep, I am a middle aged straight white guy, so I know I am not allowed to talk about diversity because I dont know what its like....  but the fun part about that is it makes a perfect fort to hide behind when the shit hits the fan.
there may have been a few channels screaming woke-ness. but for most of the channels, they were pretty pissed at the plot, the writing, especially writing having to do with sticking with known cannon regarding how the force works, how the Jedi are trained to act and how jedi actions are thought through.  

The "gotcha" surprise attack from behind is only supposed to work if the jedi is completely overloaded trying to defend themselves or others. 
This shows very first fucking episode started with a gotcha where a Master was so distracted trying to help a single innocent from a SINGLE attack, that they completely forgot about the lightsaber wielding dark user in front of them.   and then doubled down on that where 2 other Masters got taken out by surprise attacks, and the 4th just decided fuck it, im gonna drink poison cause I couldnt control my mind being taken over.

this fucker whining about the production people being fucked by Disney seems to have no fucking idea that the writing team is who fucked them all from the very beginning, by writing a completely unbelievable Jedi-led tale of multiple "light-side" masters keeping pretty heavy secrets for 16 years, and then doubling down on that fuckery by ending with the lead Master lying to everyone else except Yoda.

That dude is kind of ignorant on the motivations of a business. They are there to make money, not to be a safe haven for creatives to experiment with investors money. Disney made Frozen. They can do good stuff.
  • Like 1

Compare the resume/filmography depth of the producers and showrunners of the other SW live action shows: they've all done action/fantasy series. 

Disney annointing Headland was their version of a Darko Milicic draft pick.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 11:17 AM, Captain Ron said:

DGAFIAP

This whole vid is hiding behind the idea of because something is new then it’s already good and exciting. Do I want to see more of Plagueis after only have read one of the best SW novels and being teased in the prequels? I most certainly do. It’s a crucial back story in the Skywalker saga. But what I don’t want is it being done by a show that has obvious flaws in directing, writing, plot, acting ect. And those reason do not make anyone a bigot. It’s not my fault that Disney as company sees dollars before quality. Maybe if they put the quality of the product first then they might consistently put out new shows that fans care to see more of.

21 hours ago, JBJ said:

Andor was basically all new characters, we had seen some before but thet weren't really developed (Mon Mothma, Luther, Andor).  We already know what happens to Andor, so there was no reason to be heavily invested.   And yet....

Andor didn't do well at launch, but it's one of those things that grew via word of mouth.  Just make something good and people will come.

I agree that it was something new. They succeeded because Tony was proven and had an ability to bring in other highly talented people. No one really wanted Andor and thought it was a waste of an idea but they stuck the landing and it showed. I had a feeling the show might have a chance to be good when I found out the production designer hired for Andor also worked on the HBO series Chernobyl. Hiring competent people and have a  well thought out plan will lead to success. 

Edited by Levi
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 8:45 PM, Buzzrock said:

I disagree. The fans want good stories told well in their beloved universe. They read the books, played the video games, grew up on the OT and have watched a steady stream of mostly garbage ever since. Everyone loved Andor for a reason: it was good. 

Nope. This was just a great show, canceled due to "hyper conservative bigotry"

Amandla Stenberg Blames ‘Hyper-Conservative Bigotry’ For ‘The Acolyte’ Being Canceled (dailywire.com)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Stenberg is hot, but not very talented. A dime a dozen in Hollywood. I doubt we’ll hear from her again. 

While true and true, her politics are aligned with Hollywood, so if she wont be heard from again, it wouldnt be for that reason. 

On 8/22/2024 at 10:35 AM, mdmost said:

The ESB and ROTJ, outside of Yoda and Lando, were 100% fan service to people who enjoyed the original movie and wanted to see more Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, R2-D2, and C-3PO.

Giving more content, backstory, or future stories that add more color to beloved characters doesn’t have to be a travesty. I’d love to know more about Luke and Leia post-ROTJ (I’d appreciate if they’d nuke Ep. 7-9 as non-canon, but I digress). I’m enough of a fan that I will watch Disney+ shows and cartoons, but I stop short of comic books and novels. I don’t think that makes me an outlier of SW core fan base. I’ll watch new stories set centuries before or after, even shit shows like the Acolyte, because it’s all SW content. I still enjoy “fan service” to fill in the missing portions of beloved characters’ stories. 

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The ESB and ROTJ, outside of Yoda and Lando, were 100% fan service to people who enjoyed the original movie and wanted to see more Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, R2-D2, and C-3PO.

No, that's a sequel. It continued the story Lucas had originally wanted to tell. It was always intended to be a trilogy. 

• Like 1