The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

So, Sol has turned from potentially interesting, tortured character hiding a dark secret (technically true, I suppose, it was a secret and a pretty dark one) to unbelievably stupid actual dipshit in just 35 short minutes.

His immediate fixation on the twins and determination to extract them from their home after meeting them for like 5 total minutes kinda gave me the ick.

It started off similar to Qui-Gon/Anakin then they decided to write Sol as a Karen calling CPS and the cops demanding that the lesbian's kids be removed from their home immediately.

They're witches! Night Sisters? No. We don't know anything about these people but let's break into their home and demand to see their children.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm going to finish the show just to see it through, but this is the episode where the awful writing finally lost me.

Lee Jung-jae is a great actor. The fight scenes are the best lightsaber/force user fight scenes we've ever seen. Some of the lore has been good.

The rest is just... low-rent sets exposed by overdone lighting, wooden acting, and some truly horrible writing. I mean Star Wars has always had problems here, but these are particularly bad.

Literally nobody's behavior makes any sense, other than "He/she/they did this because the plot requires them to." I can look past that once in a while, but in episode 7, it's literally every character doing nonsensical things based on the slimmest of explanations at best.

This guy here, he wants to go home. He wants to go home so badly he's going to ignore everything he's taught... why, exactly? This guy here, he wants a student. He wants a student so bad he's going to ignore everything he's dedicated his life towards because... but why? This person here, she's doing the right thing, except now she's going to suddenly lie about it and cover it up because... why, exactly?

Because the story requires them to, that's why.

Idiotic.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Is this worth my time?

It's not "so bad that it is good" like Cats or old Batman & Robin.  It's pretty bad for Star Wars, but it's no worse than any random thing on Netflix.

It's on a decent enough foundation, like a synopsis of the show would read pretty well.  It's just poorly executed.  They supposedly had two rewrites/reshoots and it shows.

This past episode was supposed to be the flashback revealing "what really happened." Turns out that nothing important has changed and the motivations of the main characters still don't make a whole lot of sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, there was some good in the episode:

Anisaya inside Torbin's mind was very cool use of the force
The fight between Sol/Kenneca/Torbin and the Torbin/the witches
Trinity flying in to take down Kenneca and basically force murdering the witches

Spoiler

Mother Koril is inside Qimir, isn't she? 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The whole stupid plot revolves around a simple misunderstanding between Sol and the witch mom.  Ridiculous.

Maybe if she had used her words first and not resorted to becoming the smoke monster from Lost first, none of that would have happened 

But Koril wasn’t going to let it go that easily 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Episode 6: Vernestra is top 10 worst actresses in any big budget work I’ve ever seen.  Lightsaber whip is hokey bullshit.

Episode 7: Making all the Jedi behave like pieces of shit is fucking stupid.

It would be fine to make them behave like pieces of shit, it would in fact be good storytelling because it would illustrate that Jedi are not robotic monks and are instead actual people with the capacity to behave badly/stupidly even when not corrupted by the dark side....IF their motivations made any sense in the context of the circumstances they find themselves in. The problem is, none of their motivations make any sense at all and no real person would behave like they did in this episode. It's fucking bizarre.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

twins mom attacks sol, gets stabbed and then says “I was gonna let Sol go with you”. Doesn’t make sense

Except she wasn't attacking Sol. She just scared him and he attacked her.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Maybe if she had used her words first and not resorted to becoming the smoke monster from Lost first, none of that would have happened 

But Koril wasn’t going to let it go that easily 

And why did she do this? Because the plot required her to. And no other reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The problem is, none of their motivations make any sense at al

They’re groomers and they have to collect all the kids who have even a tiny bit of force sensitivity. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It would be fine to make them behave like pieces of shit, it would in fact be good storytelling because it would illustrate that Jedi are not robotic monks and are instead actual people with the capacity to behave badly/stupidly even when not corrupted by the dark side....IF their motivations made any sense in the context of the circumstances they find themselves in. The problem is, none of their motivations make any sense at all and no real person would behave like they did in this episode. It's fucking bizarre.

Except she wasn't attacking Sol. She just scared him and he attacked her.

What was she doing?  Maybe I’ll rewatch that part. 

looked like an aggressive ass move to me.  Or maybe sol should’ve sensed it

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I don't know WHAT she was doing. And I'm not sure she did, either.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

What was she doing?  Maybe I’ll rewatch that part. 

looked like an aggressive ass move to me.  Or maybe sol should’ve sensed it

Mae was vanishing in smoke too. It looked like she was trying to escape with her somehow.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

twins mom attacks sol, gets stabbed and then says “I was gonna let Sol go with you”. Doesn’t make sense

She didn't attack him, she just turned smokey. The dude freaked out and killed her. Standard cop, I mean Jedi tactics.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I don't know WHAT she was doing. And I'm not sure she did, either.

Sol was treating the situation like Anakin. Ride on your emotions, and when she did the smoke thing Sol went into “shoot first, ask questions later” mode. 

32 minutes ago, Levi said:

Sol was treating the situation like Anakin. Ride on your emotions, and when she did the smoke thing Sol went into “shoot first, ask questions later” mode. 

I mean in fairness (can’t believe I’m saying that) it looked like she was dissolving Mae/Osha whichever the fuck one it was so it kinda makes sense he would stab her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I mean in fairness (can’t believe I’m saying that) it looked like she was dissolving Mae/Osha whichever the fuck one it was so it kinda makes sense he would stab her. 

Not sure I can blame Sol either and he immediately regrets the action afterwards by not wanting to fight Koril. In that moment he’s probably wishing they would have obeyed the order to come home. The stabbing and then the “she actually picked you” aspect doesn’t work to try and make Sol look worse. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’ll finish it.  I’ve committed this much time.

Same, but next time, Disney ain't gonna trick me.  I'll binge it at the end.  

I have found, on rewatches of some shows that air weekly on the streaming sites, they watch so much better in a binge.  Rings of Power was 10x better when you binge it over a few days and not 8 weeks. 

Most of them aren't memorable enough to actually remember what happened a week later. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What a goofy dumb episode. There is no way Isner doesn't watch this and look at Leslye Hedland and Kathlene Kennedy like WTF

Episode 7:

D

One more episode to watch and end this craptastic abortion of a Star Wars series. for fucks sake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh and ONE MORE thing, why in the blue fuck did they not inform the council that Osha was one half of a vergence in the force when they were asking them if they could bring her back? What possible reason could there be to hide that information?

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Same, but next time, Disney ain't gonna trick me.  I'll binge it at the end.  

I have found, on rewatches of some shows that air weekly on the streaming sites, they watch so much better in a binge.  Rings of Power was 10x better when you binge it over a few days and not 8 weeks. 

Most of them aren't memorable enough to actually remember what happened a week later. 

I'll watch the next one. I'm a sucker for anything Star Wars. But yeah, this is... not good.

I think it does benefit from binge-watching; whole story would've fit better as a single direct-to-streaming movie. Then they could've nixed some of the garbage, I think. Maybe even made a more sensible story.

Alternatively, they could've written it like actual episodes and given the characters a bit more depth so that the motivation isn't just...

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Oh and ONE MORE thing, why in the blue fuck did they not inform the council that Osha was one half of a vergence in the force when they were asking them if they could bring her back? What possible reason could there be to hide that information?

...because the plot required them to.

And y'all know I'm no critic of Star Wars. I usually defend anything with droids in it. If anything, I aim my hate towards the so-called "fans" who seem to trash it at every opportunity. Its roots are in Edgar Rice Burroughs and that sort of thing; it's pulp silly fun in space. It's not supposed to be deep or scientific or anything, although it's kinda neat when it is.

But sometimes, bad is bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

And y'all know I'm no critic of Star Wars. I usually defend anything with droids in it. If anything, I aim my hate towards the so-called "fans" who seem to trash it at every opportunity. Its roots are in Edgar Rice Burroughs and that sort of thing; it's pulp silly fun in space. It's not supposed to be deep or scientific or anything, although it's kinda neat when it is.

I was still hopeful about this show until yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife calls me a star wars apologist… I’ll try to defend droid episodes of TCW to my kiddos…

None of us like this very much.

Saber play was nice tho
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's just incredibly incongruent now. The motivations don't make a lot of sense. Mae already knows Sol killed her mom. Why wouldn't she go after him first? He kicked it all off. Why does Torbin feel so guilty that he's fine with taking the route of suicide after being silent for years? He was manipulated massively. Is he upset about all the deaths being his fault? Why does Sol want a padawan so badly that he does stupid thing after stupid thing? Indara is about the only one who is not a moron. Yes, the lie is a problem but Mae doesn't even know that happened. They're going to need a quick recap of why they all went their separate ways then.

I'm not sure how you make the ending work now. How does the Sith even come into play unless it's horn mom controlling Qimir. Is horn mommy behind it all? 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's just incredibly incongruent now. The motivations don't make a lot of sense. Mae already knows Sol killed her mom. Why wouldn't she go after him first? He kicked it all off. Why does Torbin feel so guilty that he's fine with taking the route of suicide after being silent for years? He was manipulated massively. Is he upset about all the deaths being his fault? Why does Sol want a padawan so badly that he does stupid thing after stupid thing? Indara is about the only one who is not a moron. Yes, the lie is a problem but Mae doesn't even know that happened. They're going to need a quick recap of why they all went their separate ways then.

I'm not sure how you make the ending work now. How does the Sith even come into play unless it's horn mom controlling Qimir. Is horn mommy behind it all? 

We are talking about the creator of the show that likes to say nothing is what it seems and it turns out that it is indeed what it seems. The fire with Mae and the identity of her master are good examples. It’s entirely possible Qimir is simply a Sith like he eluded to and his master is unsurprisingly horn mom. I feel like there is so much that needs to happen in the last episode with the pieces we already have, and making an elaborate entrance with who the Sith are would be too difficult pull off in 30min.  

11 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Episode 6: Vernestra is top 10 worst actresses in any big budget work I’ve ever seen.  Lightsaber whip is hokey bullshit.

She is the spouse/wife of the showrunner, so nepotism got her the role

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s obvious this last episode was desperately re-edited into oblivion. You could pick any random episode of the A-Team and find a better scripted, more cohesive viewing experience. What an absolute mess this series has been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, I'm going to finish the show just to see it through, but this is the episode where the awful writing finally lost me.

Lee Jung-jae is a great actor. The fight scenes are the best lightsaber/force user fight scenes we've ever seen. Some of the lore has been good.

The rest is just... low-rent sets exposed by overdone lighting, wooden acting, and some truly horrible writing. I mean Star Wars has always had problems here, but these are particularly bad.

Literally nobody's behavior makes any sense, other than "He/she/they did this because the plot requires them to." I can look past that once in a while, but in episode 7, it's literally every character doing nonsensical things based on the slimmest of explanations at best.

This guy here, he wants to go home. He wants to go home so badly he's going to ignore everything he's taught... why, exactly? This guy here, he wants a student. He wants a student so bad he's going to ignore everything he's dedicated his life towards because... but why? This person here, she's doing the right thing, except now she's going to suddenly lie about it and cover it up because... why, exactly?

Because the story requires them to, that's why.

Idiotic.

So now it's an artistic description of Police in America?  

On 7/9/2024 at 9:27 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I thought it was good. And everyone was bitching about the fire / explosion being pretty lame, but it was hinted then things weren’t what they seemed, and now we see the full story, and the hubris of the Jedi that leads to their down fall on full display 

at this point the only, ONLY, ONLY saving moment of this piece of dogshit show were the lightsaber scenes in the last 2 eps.  

It was beyond fucking horrible.  the "mistakes/actions made/mistunderstood by both sides resulting in a war" thing is pretty much the only route the could go because of how badly they framed this whole dogshit series.

Ive played a shit load of the star wars games, and read all the legacy series books (nothing since 2012 cause Im still pissed that we lost a fuckton of great expanded universe characters)

But suddenly the writers have come up with a new force-skill that has, to my normal layman knowledge. never been mentioned in any cannon before.  

We've had force speed -which in terms of the movies is only seen once in episode 1 and never really talked about or used again, but is used in the games., we've had mind-erasure and mind-takeovers, and mind-suggestions, we've had force push/pull, force choke and of course force lightning....

Turning into a random teleporting-body-snatching smoke monster has never been on the bingo card.   where in the holy fuck did the show runners pull that out of?

and finally how in the holy fuck does Trinity manage to force kill 30ish witches that have taken over the Wookies mind with a force mind wipe?   knock em out, sure, discombobulate them, OK, have them all wake up and start fighting... yeah that makes the most fucking sense.

So rather than pick the most obvious option (getting kicked out of the wookies mind wakes them up), and they then attack the Jedi, and btw  that choice could have easily explained WHY the 4 Jedi all felt guilty about the damn thing (they would have been forced to kill the Coven)....

instead we get Sol being guilty because he fucking ignored orders twice and killed Mom 1 "on a misunderstanding", Tommen is guilty because he pulled a Carl Grimes and refused to listen to the adults, didnt stay in the house, and got women killed.   The wookie is guilty because his mind was too weak to defend against 30 witches taking it over, and Trinity is guilty because she somehow managed to force kill 30 witches with a mind-push

oh yeah, and they all decide that they need to lie to the council cause HOLY FUCK that was a shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 1

I believe this whole series can be summed up thusly

showrunner: "we need more 5 minutes in this episode somehow"

writers: "we can have Osha and Mae scream each others name. does that work?"

showrunner: "done"

• Haha 2