The Acolyte (Star Wars Disney+ show)

mdmost

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well and she was actually one of the better parts of it and they killed her off. She was basically an example of a good Jedi but this show didn't seem to like having any of those around. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 12:53 AM, PRONG HORN said:

The Empire Strips Back

If burlesque parody of Star Wars is your thing, the show will be in Syracuse, NY from September 4th through the 8th.  Other cities and dates on the website.

image.png.00b5329679c232bed3652968a3ad7dbc.png

Edited by ScottS
show is places other than upstate new york

So let’s dissect the body now that it’s dead. 

- How the fuck did Headland get a Star Wars show? She got her start in the business with Harvey Fucking Weinstein. Disney decided to not hold that against her, and gives her a $180 million Star Wars vehicle after 1, one modest success in Russian Dolla. Many accomplished directors and showrunners are also Star Wars super fans. 

- The Acolyte,  Ahsoka, Kenobi, and Obi Wan can all be described as unsuccessful. Does this cause a chilling effect on future Star Wars shows on Disney +? I would say yes, unless Skeleton Crew is a mega hit. I think they’ll focus on movies because they’ve all made money except for Solo. I doubt Mando ever comes back as a TV show. If the film does well, they’ll just make another one. It’s very plausible we get one last season of Andor and that’s it for Star Wars TV for a stretch. 

- I think a non-Jedi show set outside of established canon would do well. It’s a big ass universe. There’s plenty of room for new stories without trying to retcon everything. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

The problem with Star Wars is the enemy.  You can always find new heroes, but it gets stale when they keep fighting the same basic enemy (Sith and some version of the "Empire" they are leading in a gambit to take over the galaxy).  Something like James Bond works because the villain and his particular brand of evil plan are just different enough to make for something that feels comfortable yet new simultaneously.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They could still wait a year and release Maverick: Star Wars and give full fan service and print a Billion. 

Yeah a Rogue Squadron series set during the New Republic era would be allsome

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

- How the fuck did Headland get a Star Wars show? She got her start in the business with Harvey Fucking Weinstein. Disney decided to not hold that against her, and gives her a $180 million Star Wars vehicle after 1, one modest success in Russian Dolla. Many accomplished directors and showrunners are also Star Wars super fans. 

- The Acolyte,  Ahsoka, Kenobi, and Obi Wan can all be described as unsuccessful. Does this cause a chilling effect on future Star Wars shows on Disney +? I would say yes, unless Skeleton Crew is a mega hit. I think they’ll focus on movies because they’ve all made money except for Solo. I doubt Mando ever comes back as a TV show. If the film does well, they’ll just make another one. It’s very plausible we get one last season of Andor and that’s it for Star Wars TV for a stretch. 

- I think a non-Jedi show set outside of established canon would do well. It’s a big ass universe. There’s plenty of room for new stories without trying to retcon everything. 

The budgets are a huge part of the problem. No different than Marvel movies and shows that have bloated budgets that don't pay off (Secret Invasion). Andor and Skeleton Crew are it for a good while. Disney is very risk averse right now. That's why they're only doing mostly prequels and sequels. The audience just doesn't show up for original content now. So if they do anything going forward, it will be fan service or be some derivative of existing content like Ahsoka. At some point, you have to take a risk that propels the franchise forward. Everything can't be Maverick or Deadpool 3. At some point, the audience will be fickle and even that won't pay off like the last Mission Impossible movie. 

While I ultimately didn't like this show, I enjoyed that Lucasfilm tried something different. It just wasn't well written or acted outside of a few characters. At least we still have Andor. I'm excited for Skeleton Crew but it's an extreme appeal/homage to 80s kid adventure movies. I hope it doesn't just lean into that. I doubt Jude Law would sign up for something like that. I think we'll find that he isn't a Jedi at all and more of a force sensitive con man. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They could still wait a year and release Maverick: Star Wars and give full fan service and print a Billion. 

I’m thinking Star Wars/Star Trek crossover.  Vader vs Borg.  Solo vs Riker.  Etc.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

While I ultimately didn't like this show, I enjoyed that Lucasfilm tried something different. It just wasn't well written or acted outside of a few characters. At least we still have Andor. I'm excited for Skeleton Crew but it's an extreme appeal/homage to 80s kid adventure movies. I hope it doesn't just lean into that. I doubt Jude Law would sign up for something like that. I think we'll find that he isn't a Jedi at all and more of a force sensitive con man. 

Yeah.  I was hyped up when the show idea was first floated around like a decade ago.  Limited series focused on a Sith assassin in the High Republic Era?  Can't possibly lose, right?

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Riker would kick the crap out of Solo and his pet Wooky, and steal his girlfriend. 

Han would shoot first.

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yeah.  I was hyped up when the show idea was first floated around like a decade ago.  Limited series focused on a Sith assassin in the High Republic Era?  Can't possibly lose, right?

You could've said the same thing about a limited series focused on Boba Fett. Again, the writing and acting were terrible in both. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Riker would kick the crap out of Solo and his pet Wooky, and steal his girlfriend. 

Step out of the holodeck Mr. Barclay.

Han has flown from one side of the galaxy to the other. He's seen a lot of strange stuff, but he's never seen anything to make him believe a bearded second in command could "kick the crap" out of him. 

Solo shoots first...even with the ladies. 

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

While I ultimately didn't like this show, I enjoyed that Lucasfilm tried something different. It just wasn't well written or acted outside of a few characters

When a good idea gets mud-holed by actually having to do the hard work.  Weird how that works.

Posted (edited)

Obi Wan wasn't bad. It was just kinda unnecessary. The parts with Vader and Obi Wan were good. The Reva and Leia parts were not. The former because her character was fairly one-dimensional. The latter because it felt like they were forcing a storyline between the two characters to tie it to the OT. I didn't mind the part at the end with Luke. I do not enjoy prequels that backbend to change or "improve" the storylines or motivations of characters in existing content. Ahsoka is good but you have to be a Rebels and Clone Wars viewer to get it. That's a problem. Star Wars stories shouldn't require additional content to supplement or draw from. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I disagree that Obi wan or Ashoka were bad. Obi wan was good, and Ahsoka wasn’t far off from Andor or S1 of Mandalorian. This was a great idea with terrible execution. It happens. 

agreed.  Obi Wan was a C+/B-, Ahsoka was a solid B to B+.  Boba Fett was not good.  The only thing that saved Acolyte from a straight F was the saber play.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

The only thing that saved Acolyte from a straight F was the saber play.

man, I dont know... the power of 1,2, many was really, really, really, REALLY bad , so was turning every Jedi master into a pussy or an asshole

I would give it an F  but maybe i could be persuaded  to give it a D minus minus minus minus

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just like DC, they should stick to animation(for TV). Tales of the Jedi and Tales of the Empire are the best things they have done lately.

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem with Star Wars is the enemy.  You can always find new heroes, but it gets stale when they keep fighting the same basic enemy (Sith and some version of the "Empire" they are leading in a gambit to take over the galaxy).  Something like James Bond works because the villain and his particular brand of evil plan are just different enough to make for something that feels comfortable yet new simultaneously.

I dunno, some pretty good stories have been told across the books and video games. The Thrawn trilogy would have made for three great movies or a few seasons of a good show.