Alien: Romulus

mchookem

I loved it. I guess it’s getting some shit for too much fan service but fuck it I had a good time. The only thing I didn’t love was

Spoiler

Everything after the pregnant girl gets pulled back out of the cryopod. I thought it was enough to have the reference to A3 where the xeno wouldn’t touch her because she was pregnant. But introducing the alien goo that way was kinda meh for me. 

I have a lil bit of an issue. I enjoyed the movie, very solid entry and storyline. But… While I understand that the ships are built on what 1978 thought 2120-something technology would be, but with even the current touch screen and 4k tech on cell phones I found the VHS with tracking issues styles of the monitors and Apollo style lights and punch buttons distracting along with the constantly glitching lights everywhere. I can’t imagine what will be standard in another 100 years, but I can surely say it won’t be that. As I say it’s certainly probably just me. Still loved the movie though.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I thought it was weird they brought in Chris Evans as the Human Torch, but whatever, it's still Aliens.

Actually the movie could have used some fire.  Lots of freezing and not any flame throwing.

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 8:57 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Here’s the only thing you need to know about how stupid Prometheus is…

IMG_9227.gif.d4317916909fa0ab7b92038ed21e7753.gif

This death scene was absolutely stupid on its own. But added to the whole sequence before this of her scrambling to barely make it to the escape pod off the ship only to be killed because she doesn't know how to run to the right or left, this may be the stupidest shit ever written in any movie. 

Why save her from the ship only to die 2 mins later from this shit?

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I have a lil bit of an issue. I enjoyed the movie, very solid entry and storyline. But… While I understand that the ships are built on what 1978 thought 2120-something technology would be, but with even the current touch screen and 4k tech on cell phones I found the VHS with tracking issues styles of the monitors and Apollo style lights and punch buttons distracting along with the constantly glitching lights everywhere. I can’t imagine what will be standard in another 100 years, but I can surely say it won’t be that. As I say it’s certainly probably just me. Still loved the movie though.

Future technology cannot be accurately depicted in the present because our current minds are incapable of imagining the advancements yet to come and don't fully understand those which came before.

I really appreciated that they kept the retro-future look. Romulus takes place between Alien and Aliens on the fictional timeline, so it would have been weird to put modern tech in this one.

I know they put more modern looking tech in the prequels but for some reason that doesn’t bother me. Maybe because I see those films as outliers.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yall hyped this movie up too much. This movie is essentially Alien Resurrection. About 20-30% in, I thought this movie had promise. Soundtrack and acting, especially by David Jonsson as Andy was very good. But man. The last hour of the movie was a snoozefest and something we have seen a million times already

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought the first 30 minutes was solid.  Seemed like it became paint by numbers after that.

Spoiler

Someone gets chest-burstered.  Check.  Synthetic is really a corporate spy who is going to cause problems.  Check.  More aliens show up.  Check.  Acid blood is a problem.  Check.  Machinegun noise from Aliens.  Check.  Tell an alien to get away from her you bitch.  Check.  Add some stupid shit from the Prometheus/Covenant films.  Check.  Have a goofy looking hybrid at the end.  Check.  Have main character run around in her underwear.  Check.  Blast alien out of the ship.  Check.

55 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Thought the first 30 minutes was solid.  Seemed like it became paint by numbers after that.

Hide contents

Someone gets chest-burstered.  Check.  Synthetic is really a corporate spy who is going to cause problems.  Check.  More aliens show up.  Check.  Acid blood is a problem.  Check.  Machinegun noise from Aliens.  Check.  Tell an alien to get away from her you bitch.  Check.  Add some stupid shit from the Prometheus/Covenant films.  Check.  Have a goofy looking hybrid at the end.  Check.  Have main character run around in her underwear.  Check.  Blast alien out of the ship.  Check.

This

4 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Hide contents

Sometimes fan service lands. It did with me. Deadpool not as much, for instance. 

After the shitshow that was Covenant I enjoyed this palate cleanser and all its callbacks. But I can understand why some didn’t. 

David Jonsson seems to be getting universal praise. I want to see him in more stuff. 

I enjoyed it. 

The movie went back to its original basis, alien rapes whatever it can get its hands on. 

A ton of people like Aliens because of the action and such. 

But ol' what's his name didn't want to do another horror movie for the sequel. 

Thus a crappy franchise of movies was born that made a ton of money.

Anyway, Romulus had the creepy vibe about it like Alien did.

I was a kid when Alien came out and it scared the fuck out of me.

Romulus is my second favorite movie although that's not saying much given what has been put out there.

I would like to see an HBO or Apple series with the premise that an alien sample is retrieved and taken to that mining planet.  That was a world we need more time in and you could definitely build an awesome show of trying to contain the threat with a huge population of potential hosts.

Unfortunately, Disney owns the franchise and I would bet a lot of the worst fan service was their execs forcing it on the director.

I don’t really care for all the engineer stuff and the weird mutant/hybrid/alien/black goo stuff. I just want more atmospheric xenomorph scares with some action thrown in occasionally. 

That said if they could work out a (good!) story where David turns Daniels into the queen and spawns the whole race of xenomorphs after Covenant I’d watch that. 

I saw Prometheus in theaters before I ever saw the other Alien movies. And then I watched Alien and Aliens each once, and that’s the extent of my exposure to the Aliens franchise. I decided to see a movie today and picked this with no other advance knowledge about it - this was super fun. Enjoyed.

How did these little jabronis get a ship in the first place though? 

man this was enjoyable! saw it in our Harkins CineXL theater, sound was incredible. callbacks to all four of the first films.

i also loved how they kept the look and sounds of the originals, even the low camera angles from the first. i'd put it a solid third in the franchise. 

On 8/23/2024 at 7:37 PM, mchookem said:

man this was enjoyable! saw it in our Harkins CineXL theater, sound was incredible. callbacks to all four of the first films.

i also loved how they kept the look and sounds of the originals, even the low camera angles from the first. i'd put it a solid third in the franchise. 

This is my take, although I have a soft spot for Alien 3 because it’s David Fincher’s first flick even if he disowned it, and Charles Dutton goes damn hard.  Romulus has got the atmospheric’s in spades and some excellent jump scares/oh shit moments. They did a Good job of turning the creepy HR Giger factor to 11.

Glad I saw it in the theater instead of Deadpool.  This movie deserves a cinematography nomination for sure. 

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

This is my take, although I have a soft spot for Alien 3 because it’s David Fincher’s first flick even if he disowned it, and Charles Dutton goes damn hard.  Romulus has got the atmospheric’s in spades and some excellent jump scares/oh shit moments. They did a Good job of turning the creepy HR Giger factor to 11.

Glad I saw it in the theater instead of Deadpool.  This movie deserves a cinematography nomination for sure. 

Check out the Special Assembly Cut if you haven't already

My son and I watched Alien and Aliens yesterday and then went to see Romulus today. It was great. They nailed the horror movie in space vibe from the Alien. David Jonsson was incredible as Andy. Looking forward to the Alien TV show coming out on Hulu next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw it last night. I enjoyed it but it did feel very familiar since it borrowed from each Alien movie. I didn't mind that necessarily, outside of the horrible repeat of the Aliens line that was horribly hamfisted. Andy was great. I didn't mind the other android except he should've been an animatronic or practical effect. The CGI looked off at times in an otherwise flawless CGI movie. It really felt like a movie set in the Alien universe. That said, everything felt massively accelerated. The time frame of the chest bursting was what 10 minutes? The original took a day I thought. Also the growth of the xenomorph was also rapid. Also, how did they create the face huggers? I thought those were hatched from eggs? Did they splice DNA off the xenomorph they recovered that then got loose? 

Saw it last night. I enjoyed it but it did feel very familiar since it borrowed from each Alien movie. I didn't mind that necessarily, outside of the horrible repeat of the Aliens line that was horribly hamfisted. Andy was great. I didn't mind the other android except he should've been an animatronic or practical effect. The CGI looked off at times in an otherwise flawless CGI movie. It really felt like a movie set in the Alien universe. That said, everything felt massively accelerated. The time frame of the chest bursting was what 10 minutes? The original took a day I thought. Also the growth of the xenomorph was also rapid. Also, how did they create the face huggers? I thought those were hatched from eggs? Did they splice DNA off the xenomorph they recovered that then got loose? 

Rook said they were engineering the species dna to accelerate it even more than the “Engineers” had from Prometheus and Covenant

Which is why Rook showed them the snippet of the rat but left out that it grew out of control way too fast

[/code]

• Hook 'Em 1