Texas Basketball 2024-25

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

So he can’t recruit the player or the big cigars to his vision?

It seems similar to that DE that just transferred to OU instead of us.

He wanted as much money as possible. Sark and the NIL guys said "here's what we'll offer" and didn't get into a bidding war with OU. 

You're assuming 1) Toppin was a big part of RT's vision, and 2) the NIL guys would be willing to vastly overpay to serve that vision.

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

He wanted as much money as possible. Sark and the NIL guys said "here's what we'll offer" and didn't get into a bidding war with OU. 

You're assuming 1) Toppin was a big part of RT's vision, and 2) the NIL guys would be willing to vastly overpay to serve that vision.

I don't think these two recruitments are similar at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

RT would have to completely and totally shit the bed to get fired after this year. If he wins at least say 12 games, I think he is coming back. 

If he gets to the 2nd weekend this year or next year, I assume he will get an extension.  If not, he should be gone.

He’s not getting fired or extended before completion of year three barring a national championship or total wheels off season. 

56 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Toppin was a big enough part of RT’s vision that they were left without an immediate back up plan. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I think he can tell the NIL guys who he wants, but if that player's price is way higher than they want to pay (as is allegedly the case with Toppin) he can't force them to pay it

So he has problems constructing a roster. Which is a major function of the head coach, wouldn’t you say?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

So he has problems constructing a roster. Which is a major function of the head coach, wouldn’t you say?

In a pay for play world, when the richest public university in the world won't pay, then I'm sorry, that's not on the coach.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

In a pay for play world, when the richest public university in the world won't pay, then I'm sorry, that's not on the coach.

It’s like they’re intentionally missing my point 

As always I will see how the season plays out. One more decent big and it’s a team with a shitton of potential 

15 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I'm assuming nothing. I have no idea what RT's vision is because there doesn't seem to be one. My point was about his inability to persuade either players or moneymen to whatever vision includes the target. I don't bother to keep up with the details beyond reading updates on this board, but even I can see that he keeps swinging and missing on a critical need. 

I've also yet to hear a legitimate reason why Texas is operating with a self-imposed cap on NIL. There is no mandated cap. Set the fucking market or shut the fuck up about being a big dog in the NIL world. Overspend and outspend. Guess what? Texas can and should go that route in the current NIL world. Allowing Tech of all places to outbid is a fucking joke. You want something I want? You can't have it. That's how the big dog should roll.

Posted (edited)

The vision is pretty clear. Get as many guards and wings as you can that can shoot and/or score the basketball. That's how you win in the NCAAT, not slugging play through bigs or athletes with no offensive game outside of 5' from the basket.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The vision is pretty clear. Get as many guards and wings as you can that can shoot and/or score the basketball. That's how you win in the NCAAT, not slugging play through bigs or athletes with no offensive game outside of 5' from the basket.

If the vision is so clear then explain why Rodney Terry wears glasses....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Former Vanderbilt signee that left when Stack got shitcanned. I think Kentucky wanted him too.

yeah i googled him yesterday and it said UK had offered and was his top school. guess not! 🤘🏼 

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We beat out basketball powerhouses South Carolina(not the womens) and Rutgers, according to Gerry.

South Carolina is good and Rutgers has been on an absolute recruiting heater that I don't think Texas has ever matched. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

South Carolina is good and Rutgers has been on an absolute recruiting heater that I don't think Texas has ever matched. 

Lets tap the brakes a bit there. Here's the current 247 hoops rankings reflecting both recruits and transfer portal

image.thumb.png.51fd5cec667ff543c75c011e71e5c0e2.png

Not to mention Rick had some pretty f'n salty classes as  well. 

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Can you expound on this a bit more. I don’t see these as comparable programs to where Texas should be in basketball. And I’m a bit skeptical about the Kentucky offer. 

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lets tap the brakes a bit there. Here's the current 247 hoops rankings reflecting both recruits and transfer portal

image.thumb.png.51fd5cec667ff543c75c011e71e5c0e2.png

Not to mention Rick had some pretty f'n salty classes as  well. 

They have Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper who are 2 of the top 3 recruits in the nation. That is comparable to anything Rick did on its own. 

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can you expound on this a bit more. I don’t see these as comparable programs to where Texas should be in basketball. And I’m a bit skeptical about the Kentucky offer. 

South Carolina was very good this year as exhibited by getting a 6 seed and Rutgers is clearly trying to invest in making basketball a priority. You're also not recruiting against the usual group of teams when you get to June and many teams don't have spots left. I'm not overly enthusiastic about this take but we are beyond desperate for big depth and good teams thought he was a take so I'll be cautiously optimistic.  Still need someone who we can be pencil in for 20+ minutes as a big but given the options available it's not nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Teryor said:

comparable to anything Rick did on its own. 

thats a bit different than claiming what Steve Pikiell has accomplished at Rutgers is "a recruiting heater that Texas has never matched." Which I maintain is a ridiculous statement. 

Vinson seems like a good late season add to round out the roster, but not someone we should expect to get more than 5 minutes a game.  We still need a significant contributor at PF/C.  I think we still have one roster spot open.  Can anyone confirm?

Notes from Gerry on the current team.

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns 2024-25 team has reported to Austin, and is in the gym daily. 

OTF picked up some early thoughts and returns around the program in the last 24 hours. 

Jayson Kent has been mentioned early on as an impressive pick up. Both physically (from a strength of frame stand point) and really knowing how to play the game. 

The "knowing how to play the game" is a theme around the program. Texas feels like Tre Johnson and the portal additions are going to a better "know how to play" team this year. 

Julian Larry, Pope and Tre Johnson get mention in that regard. 

Tramon Mark has received positive chatter. 

Devon Pryor is seen as a player that is expected to make a considerable jump in year two. He works very hard at his craft, and the Texas S&C coach is elite. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Our team last year would have been soooo much better with Ron Holland than with Ithiel Horton.  I count six losses that likely would have been wins if he was on the team, which would have been enough to get us to a 3-4 seed and likely the Sweet 16 or beyond.

And it wasn't just that he bailed, it was that he did it so late that it was hard to recover.  F him. Hope he goes to Charlotte.

21 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Notes from Gerry on the current team.

Reveal hidden contents

The Texas Longhorns 2024-25 team has reported to Austin, and is in the gym daily. 

OTF picked up some early thoughts and returns around the program in the last 24 hours. 

Jayson Kent has been mentioned early on as an impressive pick up. Both physically (from a strength of frame stand point) and really knowing how to play the game. 

The "knowing how to play the game" is a theme around the program. Texas feels like Tre Johnson and the portal additions are going to a better "know how to play" team this year. 

Julian Larry, Pope and Tre Johnson get mention in that regard. 

Tramon Mark has received positive chatter. 

Devon Pryor is seen as a player that is expected to make a considerable jump in year two. He works very hard at his craft, and the Texas S&C coach is elite. 

All that good news just to maybe sneak into the top 25