Texas Basketball 2024-25

Devon Pryor is really the same age as all the true freshman that are starting college this year since he reclassified last summer to start a year early.  So his #21 in Texas ranking / #209 National ranking in 2023 is really a little misleading since he was a year younger than everyone else in his class.... AND he has been competing with grown men for the last year. I bet he will play more like a national top-50 freshman.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Also, my high school Gainesville played Dunbar every year in OOC. Those matchups were awesome.

I played against his Dunbar teams for 4 years in the mid-late '70s.  He was a great coach, but so was ours, and we always beat Dunbar until he introduced FWISD to the now widely-practiced strategy of recruiting kids in other schools' footprint.  

I’ve always wondered why we get people new to the basketball board who “don’t understand” why Longhorn fans get angry or upset about Texas Badketbsll when we fail to make expectations or don’t do well overall. The phrase “it’s just basketball” gets uttered by certain posters and it’s stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

That's an interesting analysis . . . it's obviously arbitrary in terms of the metrics applied, but you gotta start somewhere.  Subjectively, I would never put Texas above Florida in basketball, especially when post-85 results are weighted more heavily.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's an interesting analysis . . . it's obviously arbitrary in terms of the metrics applied, but you gotta start somewhere.  Subjectively, I would never put Texas above Florida in basketball, especially when post-85 results are weighted more heavily.

Yeah…UF has 2 titles and runner up finish since 2008. 5 Final Four trips since 94 

I was surprised we were above Florida as well with those 2 NCs. The only thing is they didn’t start having real success until Donovan got there. Kruger helped build it though. Most of their success is in the 2000, 2010s. Before that, they were terribad. Like Mississippi basketball level bad. They might have been a worse program than Mississippi before Donovan/Kruger.

I would just weigh national titles more.  Texas has been intermittently in the conversation, just a few times, but never really came close to pulling it off.  A century of "eh" shouldn't outweigh a couple of kickass decades.

Put it this way -- I'd trade our history for theirs any day of the week.

These are the type of results that would make me question my algorithm.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I would just weigh national titles more.  Texas has been intermittently in the conversation, just a few times, but never really came close to pulling it off.  A century of "eh" shouldn't outweigh a couple of kickass decades.

Put it this way -- I'd trade our history for theirs any day of the week.

These are the type of results that would make me question my algorithm.

We've only had like 1 final four since the date referenced there, right? 

That says it all.

Yeah, I understand their metrics for "of all time" rankings, but Florida has been a far more successful program than Texas in the last 30 years. 

People clown on Boston for all their titles from the old days, so for this metric, I'm going to clown on all those titles/F4 appearances also from the old days that are inflating some programs and discounting others. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

so for this metric, I'm going to clown on all those titles/F4 appearances also from the old days that are inflating some programs and discounting others. 

UCLA is an interesting case.  Absolutely dominant for a decade (including cheating), then another title two decades later (11 total).  Not really a powerhouse any more, but still better than Texas (and ranked accordingly).  That run 40-50 years ago has to count, but it's rapidly becoming ancient history.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think we've only had 2 FF total, and one was ancient history when the tournament was way different.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, I understand their metrics for "of all time" rankings, but Florida has been a far more successful program than Texas in the last 30 years. 

People clown on Boston for all their titles from the old days, so for this metric, I'm going to clown on all those titles/F4 appearances also from the old days that are inflating some programs and discounting others. 

If the NCs count for way more, then yes. After that, I’m not so sure and that’s with me sort of agreeing with you. I’ve always thought Florida was a better job than Texas when it came to basketball.  We have more tournament appearances. Maybe that’s why Texas is ahead in basketball?

IMG_0136.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Huh . . . since Florida first made the tournament, we've STILL shown up more often (30-24 appearances).  I think this points to a problem with the calculation, because there is no way I would say Texas has been more successful than Florida since 1987.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We have more tournament appearances.

I mean, i guess, but that's a shit metric. 

Florida - 68 games, 48-20 record, 2 titles, 1 runner up
Texas - 80 games, 40-40 record

This is my FUCK YOU to Barnes/Shaka for the no tournament win drought.

Assholes.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

Well just making the tournament was only worth 3 points as it was in their calculation. 

I’m still baffled we are above Florida though. I knew we were/are a top 30ish program overall even without NCs but never thought we’d be above a program that has won two NCs 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is my FUCK YOU to Barnes/Shaka for the no tournament win drought.

this is what really bums me out about the evolution of college hoops. all anyone cares about anymore is “did we win it all?” meanwhile, kansas, a full fledged blue blood, had a whopping THREE total banners in the rafters when i went to lawrence for the Texas game in 2022. they’ve since added a fourth. so in the entire history of the program that was led by the guy who invented the sport, a program that has kind for pound had the best coaching in CBB history they’ve won it all four times. but yet it’s still, “fuck any coach who doesn’t win it all.” 

this is the hardest list to join in all of sports:

IMG_7561.jpeg

IMG_7562.jpeg

Again, Florida becomes an easy measure to determine a stupid ranking system.  Gonzaga first appeared in the NCAA tournament 8 years after UF did.  To their credit, in that timeframe they've made 2 more appearances (26-24).  

NCAA champions:  UF 2, Gonzaga 0

NCAA runners-up:  UF 1, Gonzaga 2

Final 4:  UF 5, Gonzaga 2

Elite 8:  UF 9, Gonzaga 6

Sweet 16:  UF 11, Gonzaga 14

Round of 32:  UF 18, Gonzaga 22

They ranked them Gonzaga Tier 2B, Florida Tier 4.  What the fuck?  These people are not to be taken seriously.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think we've only had 2 FF total, and one was ancient history when the tournament was way different.

3 total. However, 1943 and 1947 only required one win in an 8 team tournament so not really a big accomplishment.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Can't find a consistent answer on the googles.  When does the portal close/rosters for 2024 Fall Semester get locked in?  

The portal closed May 1.  The NBA withdrawal date was May 29, so those players that entered the portal and wanted to explore the draft have only been 100% in the portal and out of the draft for less than a month.

Wouldn't the "roster date" just be whatever date the University will accept transfer students for the fall semester? 

That date has already passed for 'regular' students.  Obviously exemptions are made for student-athletes in transfer portals, varying by sport.  But yeah, if we're done with the portal, and the NBA draft deadlines, I guess we're complete.  24 July is typically when Belmont sends over the money to the registrar for scholarship athletes' tuition.  not sure if that makes a difference.  I used to know all these details before the COVID/portal situation because we had some academic/named scholarships that would supplement a few student-athletes that weren't on full rides but were also really smart.  But I have no clue anymore (as usual).  

So anybody wanna compile the full roster for us?  

Kaluma 4 and Kent 5 for 8 mins a game to rest Shedrick would do. Extra depth if Pryor isn’t ready. We’re still screwed if Shedrick can’t stay healthy, but would be a great pickup. 

I’ll settle for a 6’7” dude that wants rebounds and doesn’t shy from contact over some 6’10” who wants shoot threes and can’t box out.

Kaluma would be a great add and would round out this team nicely. He brings a lot of the things Dillon Mitchell provided but is a much better offensive player.

6’2 Pope + 6’5 Mark + 6’6 Johnson + 6’7 Kaluma + 6’8 Kent is enough size, skill and defense to give anyone problems if coached properly. Beard would have killed it with a team like that. My guess is that if we sign Kaluma, we would bring Kent off the bench and start the above team plus Shedrick. Then we could have Larry and Kent, who are very used to playing together, leading the 2nd unit. Weaver will also get a lot of minutes off the bench.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else steps up. Devon Pryor, Malik Presley and Nic Codie all have the talent to contribute if they develop.

3 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

From everything I saw last year, Weaver better be starting this year. 

That’s just the recency bias talkin, man. The effort was always there, but Chendall didn’t exactly start last season on fire. There were some awkward, frustrating moments. The improvement was fun to watch though and he came on strong with double digits in both NCAA tourney games.

All of which is to say: Weaver is a valuable contributor and my favorite returning player, but I think him starting to begin the season is far from certain.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

That’s just the recency bias talkin, man. The effort was always there, but Chendall didn’t exactly start last season on fire. There were some awkward, frustrating moments. The improvement was fun to watch though and he came on strong with double digits in both NCAA tourney games.

All of which is to say: Weaver is a valuable contributor and my favorite returning player, but I think him starting to begin the season is far from certain.

I like his energy off the bench with the second unit 

• Hook 'Em 2

we can’t really comment on him right now as we don’t know what kind of progress he’s made since last season, nor do we have any idea what our new pieces will look like together or how ready they’ll be. weaver could be our sixth man or he could be our best player. he’ll have an important role either way, and it’ll be up to the staff to figure out how to best utilize him.

3 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

From everything I saw last year, Weaver better be starting this year. 

Which of these players do you want Weaver to start over?

• Jordan Pope - 17.6 PTS, 3.4 AST, 2.6 TRB, 50.4 FG%, 37.1 3P%, 87.9 FT% - 6'2, 165
  • Tramon Mark - 16.2 PTS, 1.8 AST, 4.3 TRB, 48.0 FG%, 36.4 3P%, 80.4 FT% - 6'5, 180
  • Julian Larry - 11.0 PTS, 4.8 AST, 2.8 TRB, 52.5 FG%, 46.2 3P%, 78.0 FT% - 6'3, 185 - 3rd team MVC, 2x All Defense
  • Tre Johnson - 11.1 PTS, 2.6 AST,2.9 TRB, 43.3 FG%, 35.7 3P%, 94.1 FT% (FIBA U19 Stats) - 6'6, 190 - #6 National Recruit
  • ----------------------------------------
  • Chendall Weaver - 6.2 PTS, 0.6 AST, 3.0 TRB, 49.0 FG%, 23.7 3P%, 74.0 FT% - 6'3, 164

I'll be surprised if we start any group of guards other than Pope, Mark and Johnson. Larry and Weaver will be great off the bench.

• Hook 'Em 1