Texas Basketball 2024-25

On 7/10/2024 at 12:40 PM, YGIFS said:

Dogus is starting to look that actor, Chris Messina.  And the dude over his left shoulder in the all-black looks like Champ Kind from 'Anchorman' grew a beard and had one too many seafood dinners with Dorothy Mantooth.  

When's the damn schedule coming out!?!?!?

Dude over right shoulder looks like Jackie Chan 

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's probably the camera angle, but he also doesn't look like the 6'1" dude I remember on the 40 Acres.

It's probably the glass half empty side of me, but when I think of Doj, my mind always thinks of how poor his outside shooting and free throw shooting was for a guard.  There were times when the other team could basically not defend him outside the paint or hack him on drives late in the game.  I imagine he became a better shooter during his pro career and like having him as a team mentor for his experience in that regard, but as a Texas guard, I can't recall him doing anything that made me think he was anything more than a backup, role player who couldn't shoot the ball.

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

It's probably the glass half empty side of me, but when I think of Doj, my mind always thinks of how poor his outside shooting and free throw shooting was for a guard.  There were times when the other team could basically not defend him outside the paint or hack him on drives late in the game.  I imagine he became a better shooter during his pro career and like having him as a team mentor for his experience in that regard, but as a Texas guard, I can't recall him doing anything that made me think he was anything more than a backup, role player who couldn't shoot the ball.

Yes, made Freddie Williams seem like Curry with his awful shooting

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VinyVango said:

doj is the second or third best guard we had in transition under barnes. only TJ was clearly better. doj was also as good of a perimeter defender as we’ve ever had. he’d go from locking up michigan state’s PG kalin lucas to putting the clamps on 6’7” big xii poy james anderson like it was nothing. he had an extremely high iq and had one of the best ast/to ratios we’ve ever had. he was also an elite athlete. for as bad as he was at shooting he was equally great at the things he was good at.

the 2009/10 team had two PGs each playing ~25 mpg (iirc) who if combined would have made the perfect PG. take the opposite of everything i just said and you have j’covan brown. totally unathletic, low basketball iq, hated defending, but could really, really score. if you combined their strengths you’d have a first team all american. 

still, Doj is one of the most underrated players we’ve ever had because he was such a poor shooter. before that team collapsed it was the best UT team ever, and Doj was the perfect pg for that team turning defense into offense in the blink of an eye. he did so much that wasn’t obvious at an elite level, he just absolutely could not shoot or really score. i’ll always love that guy, and it’s a shame that team collapsed the way it did.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t mind having a PG who can’t score. I can’t handle having a PG who can’t shoot free throws. Doj was unplayable at the end of games. And unfortunately he never got better in euroball. Dude averaged 53% free throw over his entire career.

That said, he was an absolute terror on defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, HookEm said:

I don’t mind having a PG who can’t score. I can’t handle having a PG who can’t shoot free throws. Doj was unplayable at the end of games. And unfortunately he never got better in euroball. Dude averaged 53% free throw over his entire career.

That said, he was an absolute terror on defense.

this is true, but we couldn't have picked a better time to employ a guard like that, with such a deep and talented team. at the end of the game you still have j’covan at the pg position who is a killer FT shooter, and you still have avery bradley as an equal/superior defender.

doj was sixth on the team in minutes but had a huge impact on winning, yet ive only ever known a handful of fans who truly appreciated him. i’m sure a huge part of that is everyone’s infatuation with j’covan brown who was irrefutably the inferior player between the two when they were teammates.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

For the record, J'Covan Brown is my least favorite longhorn of all time.  Hated his style of play.

I liked Doj, but the free throws were just so frustrating. How can a point guard not be able to shoot free throws??? I can understand a guy who is 7 ft with huge hands having trouble, but a point guard?  Still though, his defense was just so disruptive that it was impossible to not like him. 

i still remember in that tourney game vs minnesota when he had to throw up a 24 footer to beat the buzzer and it was an absolutely perfect shot. even doj was laughing at that one. we were all just like, “do that more often! at least from the ft line!” lol.

It's interesting that injuries robbed both Balbay and Brown of their potential.  Balbay spent off-seasons rehabbing a knee and it kept him from improving his shot.  I definitely wouldn't call Brown a "low IQ" player.  He was terrific at seeing the floor (reckless, yes), understood spacing, entry passes and moving without the basketball.  Obviously maturity (more than injury) was his biggest issue.  Doj was a coach's dream, especially the one he played for.  Guard recruiting was very interesting under Barnes.  Lots of guys that were not strong ball handlers, couldn't beat anyone off the bounce or were weak shooters.  Most of those toward the end of his tenure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It was announced a while ago, but I don’t think they had the dates set. 

Our home slate should be pretty good this year especially sec play.

Yeah this isn't new news. 

21 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

It's interesting that injuries robbed both Balbay and Brown of their potential.  Balbay spent off-seasons rehabbing a knee and it kept him from improving his shot.  I definitely wouldn't call Brown a "low IQ" player.  He was terrific at seeing the floor (reckless, yes), understood spacing, entry passes and moving without the basketball.  Obviously maturity (more than injury) was his biggest issue.  Doj was a coach's dream, especially the one he played for.  Guard recruiting was very interesting under Barnes.  Lots of guys that were not strong ball handlers, couldn't beat anyone off the bounce or were weak shooters.  Most of those toward the end of his tenure.

He shot .422/.323/.534 in his pro career averaging 1.7 ppg, so I think its safe to assume he was just a shitty offensive player. But the fact that he managed a 12 year pro career with those abysmal shooting stats means you didn't keep him around for his scoring prowess. 

31 minutes ago, Blotto said:

just a shitty offensive player.

shitty shooter, not a shitty offensive player. again, only TJ Ford was defintely better in transition than Doj, who basically never turned the ball over and consistently set up his teammates with good looks. on many days he was better offensively than his running mate j’covan brown, who turned the ball over constantly, was selfish, full of hubris, and who had a terrible shot selection. in a game of 1 on 1 j’covan is better offensively, but when the other four guys on the floor are avery bradley, jordan hamilton, damion james, and dexter pittman then you don’t need another scorer, you need someone who runs the show, and doj >>>>>>>> JB in that regard.

11 hours ago, Derka said:

Can you list the academic year/class for these guys?  I wonder how much turnover we will be looking at next year.  Sadly, class doesn't provide much of an indication of sticking around anymore with NIL, but it helps a little with knowing who will be gone without question.

2 hours ago, VinyVango said:

Pope - 2 years
Larry - 1 year
Weaver - 2 years
Vinson - 4 years
Shedrick - 1 year
Kaluma - 1 year
Bott - 2 years
Clark - 3 years
Codie - 4 years
Mark - 1 year
Presley - 3 years
Johnson - 4 years
Onyema - 1 year
Pryor - 3 years
Kent - 1 year
McDermott - 4 years

Larry, Shedrick, Kaluma, Mark, Onyema, Kent will cycle out and we all know Tre Johnson is likely one and done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

just doing my daily it hoops social media perusing and it’s hitting me how asinine this transfer portal business has already become. we’re going to set an all time record for, “ ow who is this guy again?” utterances at the moody center this fall.  urning the whole thing down and starting over every year is an objectively stupid and not-fan-friendly way to go about things.

• Hook 'Em 1

just doing my daily it hoops social media perusing and it’s hitting me how asinine this transfer portal business has already become. we’re going to set an all time record for, “ ow who is this guy again?” utterances at the moody center this fall.  urning the whole thing down and starting over every year is an objectively stupid and not-fan-friendly way to go about things.

Yes… even free agent pro players stick with a team longer than college mercenaries nowadays

I think it will improve a little once all the extra covid years are burned up after this year. There are a ton of 5th year players going somewhere new for their final year. I don’t think you will see nearly as many just leave in their final year.

Also when the 5th years are gone the balance of power will shift back a little bit to the elite freshmen. The situation is still dynamic. The formula for winning the last 2-3 years is going to change this year and then change again the following year.

40 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean the big 12 slate was probably tougher overall than the sec but it will still be tough and fun to play new teams and the road games will always be fun atmosphere to play in. 

Yeah, and Texas basketball gets the bonus of avoiding games in some really shit B12 basketball venues. 🤘

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's a decent non-con schedule overall when you factor in who is in the Legends Class (Saint Joseph's, Tech and Syracuse), but there isn't much middle ground between Q1 opponent and one of the worst teams in the country. 4 of the 5 good matchups are away from Moody.

No one will get up for that home schedule outside of Uconn but I guess they don't schedule for fans and it's better than last year's non-con home schedule that featured nothing.

Edited by Hookem2147

Man, watching Royal Ivey coach South Sudan has been fun.  He is doing an incredible job.  There is zero... ZERO chance that Rodney Terry would be doing a comparable job.  And I say that as one of the bigger RT apologists on this site.

We are going to F around and watch him get picked up by another school or NBA team. I really think he is going to do well when he gets his break.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Man, watching Royal Ivey coach South Sudan has been fun.  He is doing an incredible job.  There is zero... ZERO chance that Rodney Terry would be doing a comparable job.

What is the point of even bringing hypotheticals like this up? Y'all are hating before the season even starts.

You know who has never, in his life, coached a college basketball game as the HC? Royal Ivey. He's never even coached at the college level.

I think he has some solid potential but he is just straight up not qualified to take the reins somewhere like Texas. It could wind up a fucking disaster for all we know.

Also - South Sudan has some good players. I'll give Ivey his flowers but there's a reason they are giving other intl teams problems - and it isn't just because some of y'all think Ivey is the 2nd coming of John Wooden. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Man, watching Royal Ivey coach South Sudan has been fun.  He is doing an incredible job.  There is zero... ZERO chance that Rodney Terry would be doing a comparable job.  And I say that as one of the bigger RT apologists on this site.

We are going to F around and watch him get picked up by another school or NBA team. I really think he is going to do well when he gets his break.  

What gives me hope is that I don’t think he’ll secure a college job better than Texas or an NBA HCing position before Texas is open again. However, unless he experiences college coaching success elsewhere, he doesn’t fit what CDC normally hires. I hope he finds his way to Austin eventually though. 

7 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

What gives me hope is that I don’t think he’ll secure a college job better than Texas or an NBA HCing position before Texas is open again. However, unless he experiences college coaching success elsewhere, he doesn’t fit what CDC normally hires. I hope he finds his way to Austin eventually though. 

His coaching career says he has zero interest in being a college coach.

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

What is the point of even bringing hypotheticals like this up? Y'all are hating before the season even starts.

You know who has never, in his life, coached a college basketball game as the HC? Royal Ivey. He's never even coached at the college level.

I think he has some solid potential but he is just straight up not qualified to take the reins somewhere like Texas. It could wind up a fucking disaster for all we know.

Also - South Sudan has some good players. I'll give Ivey his flowers but there's a reason they are giving other intl teams problems - and it isn't just because some of y'all think Ivey is the 2nd coming of John Wooden. 

yeah this is weird, even for Texas fans. Lusting after a guy who hasn’t coached a single college game, ever

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

yeah this is weird, even for Texas fans. Lusting after a guy who hasn’t coached a single college game, ever

Ok fine, but that wasn't really my point in bringing it up.  My main point is that there is no chance Terry would be doing as good of a job with South Sudan as Ivey.  Does anyone on this site disagree?