Texas Basketball 2024-25

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

anyone have any more insight into our non-conf. schedule?  

Most teams are still filling out their schedules. Stuff gets announced everyday. The UCONN game at Moody isn’t on that link above, though, and that’s been announced for a while now.

SMU just announced H/Hs with Mississippi State and Butler.

I thought I saw A&M is playing @UCF with home games against Ohio State and Wake Forest. That’s pretty decent for them for a change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

that’s a great transfer class. really nice work in the portal. no superstars, but lots of proven players with varying skill sets. this class + Tre Johnson = a whole lot of new talent that we now have to integrate and maximize. the offseason has been a real success. expectations will rightfully be high for this team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah that is a solid, solid team.  I personally think we close with Pope, Mark, Johnson, Kaluma and Kent... but who knows at this point.  

Also, we aren't really that small inside. This is pretty solid size for the college game:

Major players:

• 6'11, 216 Kadin Shedrick
  • 6'8, 185 Jayson Kent 
  • 6'7, 220 Arthur Kaluma

Bench:

• 6'11, 210 Jamie Vinson
  • 6'9, 200 Nicolas Codie (nobody is talking about this guy)
  • 6'8, 215 Ze'Rik Onyema
  • 6'7, 190 Devon Pryor

And we have really good size for once at the guard spots.  The shortest guy on the team is now Pope at 6'2 and then Weaver and Larry at 6'3.  That is going to be so much better than starting Hunter and Abmas who were a stretch to call 6'0.

• Hook 'Em 3

The roster looks seasoned, deep, and promising.  It's one that a good coach should be able to make the tournament with as a decent seed.  Roster management / substitutions will be important, as will scheming players getting the ball where they are most effective.  I'd like to see a big upswing in passing this year.  Abmas and Hunter dribbled way too much at times and when they did pass, they were underwhelming.  How quick they gel with one another on the court will be important. 

I think Rodney did a good job pulling a good haul from the portal... no real excuse for a step backwards this year or finishing outside the top 1/3 of the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good point regarding passing.  FWIW, here is how we stack up vs. last year in assists.

Last year's top-5 in assists:

• 4.1 - Abmas
  • 4.1 - Hunter
  • 2.1 - Cunningham
  • 1.5 - Disu
  • 1.4 - Mitchell

This year's team based on last year's numbers:

• 4.9 - Larry
  • 3.4 - Pope
  • 2.6 - Johnson (FIBA)
  • 2.0 - Kaluma
  • 1.4 - Mark

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope we portaled in a real offensive system or the roster won’t matter much. Spread them out to go one on one or kick it out doesn’t work over the course of a full game. 

We might have a couple guys on the roster we can do occasional ISO plays with, but that should be the situational/match-up, limited exception not the primary gameplan.

Just saw that this 3-years no draft picks is our second longest draught in 30 years for Texas.  

Anybody have a full roster?  I mean, I know we have all the names through this thread but is there a place where's all put together with updated class/eligibility/etc.?  

Here is a shot at it. Probable starters bolded.

• Jordan Pope - 6'2, 165, Guard - JR - 2 yrs left
  • Julian Larry - 6'3, 185 - Guard - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Chendall Weaver - 6'3, 164 - Guard - JR - 2 yrs left
  • Tramon Mark - 6'6, 185 - Wing - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Tre Johnson - 6'6, 184 - Wing - FR - 4 yrs left
  • Malik Presley - 66, 185 - Wing - SO - 3 yrs left
  • Arthur Kaluma - 6'7, 220 - Forward - SR - 1 yr left
  • Jayson Kent - 6'8, 185 - Forward - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Nic Codie - 6'9, 200 - Forward - FR - 4 yrs left
  • Devon Pryor - 6'7, 185 - Forward - RS-FR - 4 yrs left
  • Kadin Shedrick - 6'11, 216 - Center - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Jamie Vinson - 6'11, 210 - Center - FR - 4 yrs left
  • Ze'Rik Onyema - 6'8, 215 - Center - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Here is a shot at it. Probable starters bolded.

• Jordan Pope - 6'2, 165, Guard - JR - 2 yrs left
  • Julian Larry - 6'3, 185 - Guard - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Chendall Weaver - 6'3, 164 - Guard - JR - 2 yrs left
  • Tramon Mark - 6'6, 185 - Wing - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Tre Johnson - 6'6, 184 - Wing - FR - 4 yrs left
  • Malik Presley - 66, 185 - Wing - SO - 3 yrs left
  • Arthur Kaluma - 6'7, 220 - Forward - SR - 1 yr left
  • Jayson Kent - 6'8, 185 - Forward - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Nic Codie - 6'9, 200 - Forward - FR - 4 yrs left
  • Devon Pryor - 6'7, 185 - Forward - RS-FR - 4 yrs left
  • Kadin Shedrick - 6'11, 216 - Center - SR+ - 1 yr left
  • Jamie Vinson - 6'11, 210 - Center - FR - 4 yrs left
  • Ze'Rik Onyema - 6'8, 215 - Center - SR+ - 1 yr left

If shedrick can stay relatively healthy and codie, pryor and/or vinson can provide a handful of meaningful lunchpail minutes a game defending and rebounding, this team could exceed what are already positive expectations.  This is a very deep team and RT has no excuse having to ride with a guy having a shitty game.  He will need to get a lot of guys on the court against the scrub teams to let them get acclimated and mentally ready to answer the call during conference play.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Just saw that this 3-years no draft picks is our second longest draught in 30 years for Texas.  

Anybody have a full roster?  I mean, I know we have all the names through this thread but is there a place where's all put together with updated class/eligibility/etc.?  

Not really concerned about draft picks.  Just want to see Texas basketball improve and at least play in the Sweet 16 this next season.  

I agree.  But we’re not being recruited to play college hoops.  Young men still care about which programs are getting guys into the league.  Of course, the portal is a bigger factor in recruiting than draft picks, I suppose. As are deep tourney runs.  I follow UT hoops more than most, but you guys know far more.  But the whole way we attract high school players has changed so much because they can see who comes and goes on a university roster and change their mind in late spring with not much impact.  Whole different with. NiL too.  

Here’s to second weekend in the Big Dance 

I obviously don’t know a lot about all these transfers, but I do like how it’s been constructed, their sizes, and their stats. Terry ought to be able to finish top 4-5 in conference, win one or two ncaa games. Anything better than that is a win. Anything less than that and the concern over coaching grows. 

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope we portaled in a real offensive system or the roster won’t matter much. Spread them out to go one on one or kick it out doesn’t work over the course of a full game. 

We were top 40 in the nation in assists per field goals made last year with a team that didn't really shoot a lot of drive and kick threes. That stat and the lack of 3pters as a percentage of shots made doesnt really reflect an iso based system. We got a lot of assists off of backdoors and movement based cuts. This isn't the NBA, quit holding college players to NBA standards and you'll be much happier. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We were top 40 in the nation in assists per field goals made last year with a team that didn't really shoot a lot of drive and kick threes. That stat and the lack of 3pters as a percentage of shots made doesnt really reflect an iso based system. We got a lot of assists off of backdoors and movement based cuts. This isn't the NBA, quit holding college players to NBA standards and you'll be much happier. 

And by replacing Cunningham with Kent and Kaluma the number of those cuts, that Cunningham did nothing with will be converted into layups/fouls, likely increase.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not sure this is even a bad thing. 

The Elite 8 team is the best roster we've had in long time with good and experienced college players. See Timmy Allen, Marcus Carr, and Jabari Rice. 

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don’t want nba I want a college offense. ISO and spread the floor is nba. I’d love a motion team offense and maybe we will see one this season.