Colonoscopy Talk

Rex Kramer

I had one last week on the five year plan.  They found one 3mm non-precancerous polyp and said to come back in 5 years.  5 years ago, they found one, precancerous 5mm polyp.  So this is an improvement. 

The prep still sucks.  But putting a package of crystal light lemonade mix in the jug made it much more tolerable.  And a bidet is an absolute must.

Cologuard detect 90% of cancer.  So the good news is you save some money and miss the procedure - and the bad news is you’ll die of metastasized cancer of the 10% variety
Edit: did not see new doc before I posted.   I would also not do 10 years between colonoscopies nor would I wait till 50 to get my first one.    Like doc said, people get the cancer more frequently in earlier than they used to, so the standard of care as to frequency of procedure is probably off

The SOC changed from 50 to 45 without family history of cancer a few years ago. My doc told me about this change during treatment because I was dx’d at 40. So probably 2017-18-ish.

Get a colonoscopy. If you have any issues of upper GI issues get an upper at the same time. Dont be a pussy. Or an idiot. Find a gastroenterologist and schedule it.

My son is cursed with a poor genetic history with this cancer and it took me pushing his wife to push him to start at 35. He had some polyps and is on a 3 year plan.

I called an old friend a couple years ago I had lost touch with. He was not doing well as he was late stage IV colon cancer that had spread into his spine. He was starting a final Hail Mary trial which he knew he was a guinea pig for. And why was he dying? “I was scared of it; the whole thing. And there’s nothing to it so I feel like a fool. I won’t see my grandkids grow up.”

Think about that. See a gastro. Don’t shit in a box.