The Dead Don't Hurt - Viggo directs/stars

mchookem

Posted (edited)

seems like it's been a while since we've had a really good western. this one looks very promising, and Viggo is always interesting! 🤞

also...Garrett Dillahunt 👍

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, mchookem said:

seems like it's been a while since we've had a really good western. this one looks very promising, and Viggo is always interesting! 🤞

also...Garrett Dillahunt 👍

Watch. This film will be better than Horizon, 6 hours shorter, and 1 admission ticket. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Watch. This film will be better than Horizon, 6 hours shorter, and 1 admission ticket. 

haha yeah i was thinking 'he's pulling a Costner!' 😄

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Is this a good movie? I’m not sure. I watched half in the theater and half at home. 

I love and support Westerns. I like Viggo. 

While I appreciate making a subtle, slow paced film revolving around cinematography, it’s painfully devoid of action. Viggo’s character presents as pretty handy, and we get maybe 2-3 minutes of him showing his craft. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Solid effort. It's not a shoot-em-up and the lead is the female, Vivienne, rather than Viggo. Vivienne is written, directed, and performed quite well. I like that Mortensen use dialogue for people to announce who they are. Their identities play out through action and the faces of the actors.

It will be too slow if you're looking for an action picture. 

The story is good with a few problems. I think there's a problem with the story arc. It seems that filmmakers start off being good at either scene creation or story sense. Think of it as tactical versus strategic. Scene creators make people believable and interesting, but the story becomes tends to drift. Story people know how to plot and get tempo, but often their characters are shallow and the dedication to plotting doesn't allow much breathing space for good human moments.

Clearly, Viggo is of the first type but he's learning the other side. It's not easy to balance all the shit it takes to make a good film. This is a good film, not a great one.