Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

His inability to hit a slider + Vanover’s zone having balls 5” off the plate being a strike = golden sombrero 

Despite how streaky and unreliable history shows Pena to be, I'd be tempted to try him behind Tucker and slide Alvarez back a spot. Even if only for a few games. Anything to shift the dynamic of this mess behind Tucker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would like to replace Bagwell with Uncle Mike. 
Michael Brantley is the loveable uncle you can’t wait to see at family get-togethers, Bagwell is the embarrassing drunk uncle you try not to talk or think about.

Abreu’s lack of defense in the 1st allowed Crawford and Rodriguez on and both scored.  

I never saw a replay of Rodriguez’s opposite field hit at Abreu who was shifted over to the 2nd base area, I’m just playing the odds.

They can choke on his RBI last night.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Despite how streaky and unreliable history shows Pena to be, I'd be tempted to try him behind Tucker and slide Alvarez back a spot. Even if only for a few games. Anything to shift the dynamic of this mess behind Tucker. 

2 hole. Think the opposing pitchers get a mental boost knowing after the first two hitters in the lineup the rest are meh. 

I think I'd prefer a manager, at least for this Astros team, that the players all hated but understood was ruthless in search of tactical efficiency. 

Zero loyalty, zero "he did it last year, back of the baseball card" nonsense and was relying heavily on data. 

@Wulaw Horn and others (including me) have opined that a championship aspirant shouldn't be breaking in a rookie manager--maybe it's also that THIS Astros team shouldn't be breaking in THIS manager. 

@Planet HoustonDidn't you have a contact in the GM's office?  Do you hear anything that colors Espada as more of a taskmaster behind the scenes?

• Hook 'Em 2

Who the fuck is tonights SP? Brown?

TheScore app has Brown listed as SP for tonight and tomorrow. At this point I wouldn't put that past the group of head dingleberries we have, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not happening.

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Who the fuck is tonights SP? Brown?

TheScore app has Brown listed as SP for tonight and tomorrow. At this point I wouldn't put that past the group of head dingleberries we have, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not happening.

MLB App has Brown starting tonight and Verlander tomorrow 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I think I'd prefer a manager, at least for this Astros team, that the players all hated but understood was ruthless in search of tactical efficiency. 

Zero loyalty, zero "he did it last year, back of the baseball card" nonsense and was relying heavily on data. 

@Wulaw Horn and others (including me) have opined that a championship aspirant shouldn't be breaking in a rookie manager--maybe it's also that THIS Astros team shouldn't be breaking in THIS manager. 

@Planet HoustonDidn't you have a contact in the GM's office?  Do you hear anything that colors Espada as more of a taskmaster behind the scenes?

Man..... Last year a while bunch of people wanted Espada to replace Dusty right then.

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

2 hole. Think the opposing pitchers get a mental boost knowing after the first two hitters in the lineup the rest are meh. 

We certainly had a better record with him batting 2nd. Of course, most around him were hitting well, so who knows? I'm almost willing to draw the first four out of a hat at this point. I mean, provided Bregman's not in that grouping. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slacks said:

Man..... Last year a while bunch of people wanted Espada to replace Dusty right then.

I’ll probably regret this later but I would take Dusty back right now.  

Do we have to play the worse defensive first baseman and DH the guy who can actually play the position?

I don’t blame Espada for putting him in the lineup but I do blame him for not DH’ing Abreu when Singleton is going to play anyway.

Fucking Morons!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

Do we have to play the worse defensive first baseman and DH the guy who can actually play the position?

I don’t blame Espada for putting him in the lineup but I do blame him for not DH’ing Abreu when Singleton is going to play anyway.

Fucking Morons!

What makes you think he has any say in this?