Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Yainer has played it for the Astros.  His height is not ideal, but he should be ok there.  Maybe Bagwell could do something that would actually help the team and work with him on it.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yainer has played it for the Astros.  His height is not ideal, but he should be ok there.  Maybe Bagwell could do something that would actually help the team and work with him on it.

Considering is last project I think I want him to stay as far away from Yainer as possible

• Hook 'Em 4

He was a good 1st basemen.  As long as he doesn't try to have Yainer adopt his stance at the plate, he could offer good advice about playing first.  Bagwell has a good baseball mind between the chalk lines.  It's running an organization that is beyond his abilities.  He should have gotten in to coaching instead of the front office.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He was a good 1st basemen.  As long as he doesn't try to have Yainer adopt his stance at the plate, he could offer good advice about playing first.  Bagwell has a good baseball mind between the chalk lines.  It's running an organization that is beyond his abilities.  He should have gotten in to coaching instead of the front office.

this is who is needed ….

IMG_0757.jpeg

Iykyk

• Drool 1

^ This. Absolutely. Matt Galante spent countless hours working with Craig Biggio in Kissimmee when he switched to second base. While the rest of the team rushed out to make tee times, Galante and Biggio stayed on one of the back practice fields taking grounders and practicing turning double plays. They would go all afternoon. We'd grab lunch, return to the hotel to write, log tapes, edit stories, and satellite them back to Houston, then hustle back to the facility for the 6 p.m. live shot. More often than not they were wrapping up or had just left.  

Edited by Saint Tacky
typo
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Well looks like we got a good shot of being tied for 2nd after tonight since the NY Grimaces are doing work

Now tied with Arlington.  Meh, kind of loses any boost with Seattle up to 12 over.

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Speaking of shitty players.....JD Davis was DFA by Oakland yesterday....any takers? 

I mean, I'd probably rather run him out at 1st everyday than Singleton.  Not that it would make a huge difference either way.

Have to trade Bregman. It’s the only way to improve the team for this year and moving forward. Having him leave and getting a 3rd or 4th round pick isn’t good enough anymore. We’ve let too many guys go. Teams need corner help. If the Yankees or someone dangle a package that makes too much sense then you do it. I don’t think it even necessarily means you give up on this year. But getting a pitcher that could help this year and a young position player close to ready that’s younger and cheaper helps moving forward. And if you still want Bregman for whatever reason you are going to be competing with the other 29 teams no matter what in the winter to sign him. Nothing changes there. I’d go all in on Tucker and Yordan as the cornerstones. See what the Dodgers will give you for Pena with Mookie out. We need some bold moves and vision. We’ve been treading water with waiver claims for too long.

12 hours ago, dr99 said:

The farm system is so weak they have to move them quickly.

Both things can be true.  Houston’s farm is relatively weak, so there’s a need to move prospects quickly, BUT it’s not like they’re moving guys up who aren’t performing.  Ferreras, Williams, and Matthews all had a wRC+ of >140 in High a before moving up, and they all had at least 95 pa.  Bloss has been dominant at both levels.  So yes, they are moving up partially because they aren’t blocked, but also the early returns on Dana Brown’s first draft are extremely positive.

17 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Is will Wagner not ready to play 1B in the majors yet?  Dude seems to just hit. 

Wagner is a poor defensive player who doesn’t hit for much power.  He’s hit just 21 HR across more than 250 minor league games, many of those coming in very hitter-friendly parks.  He has a plus hit tool and hits from the left side, so he has a big league future, but it is extremely likely to be limited to bench duty or as a fringey regular.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Have to trade Bregman. It’s the only way to improve the team for this year and moving forward. Having him leave and getting a 3rd or 4th round pick isn’t good enough anymore. We’ve let too many guys go. Teams need corner help. If the Yankees or someone dangle a package that makes too much sense then you do it. I don’t think it even necessarily means you give up on this year. But getting a pitcher that could help this year and a young position player close to ready that’s younger and cheaper helps moving forward. And if you still want Bregman for whatever reason you are going to be competing with the other 29 teams no matter what in the winter to sign him. Nothing changes there. I’d go all in on Tucker and Yordan as the cornerstones. See what the Dodgers will give you for Pena with Mookie out. We need some bold moves and vision. We’ve been treading water with waiver claims for too long.

You're not getting much for 2 months of Bregman

And Mookie will be back in plenty of time for the playoffs.  The Dodgers don't need to do anything.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, WBT said:

You're not getting much for 2 months of Bregman

And Mookie will be back in plenty of time for the playoffs.  The Dodgers don't need to do anything.

Possibly. But I’d rather choose my compensation in a trade than take chances with a 4th round pick. And if nobody offers anything then so be it. But I’d shop him every day from now until July 31. Pena was just illustrating that nothing should be off the table. Doing nothing is going backwards. I’m sick of watching the same shit for a year and a half. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Both things can be true.  Houston’s farm is relatively weak, so there’s a need to move prospects quickly, BUT it’s not like they’re moving guys up who aren’t performing.  Ferreras, Williams, and Matthews all had a wRC+ of >140 in High a before moving up, and they all had at least 95 pa.  Bloss has been dominant at both levels.  So yes, they are moving up partially because they aren’t blocked, but also the early returns on Dana Brown’s first draft are extremely positive.

Wagner is a poor defensive player who doesn’t hit for much power.  He’s hit just 21 HR across more than 250 minor league games, many of those coming in very hitter-friendly parks.  He has a plus hit tool and hits from the left side, so he has a big league future, but it is extremely likely to be limited to bench duty or as a fringey regular.

What about Shay Whitcomb at 1B?

23 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

What about Shay Whitcomb at 1B?

I’d like to know why a 26 and 27 year old David Hensley is performing worse every season at the same level.  

It’s a small sample size but the numbers support playing Loperfido at first.  I’m presuming there’s a good reason they are resisting that idea because God knows it’s Singleton isn’t the answer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1