Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

This is so dumb I shouldn’t even be responding to this but here’s his expected stats and the rankings from the nerds. He’s a top 10 type fielder, a fine baserunner and an above average player at the plate with a specter numbers showing him also an above average (I.e. he hasn’t been flukey or anything). He’s on pace for 3+ War. If he’s hitting 8th or 9th in your lineup and playing CF every day that’s fucking awesome. He’s the Of version of Jermey Peña. Who if he’s hitting 8th or 9th in your lineup it’s also fucking awesome. The problem isn’t those guys at all/ they are elite level glove average level bats at the two most important defensive positions in baseball and on pace to combine for about 7 or 8 war over the course of the season. 

IMG_1217.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

In June, 15 Games, that includes his incredible hot streak of last night when he went 2-4 with 2 doubles ending a 0-12.

.167/.182/.241/.423 with 1 BB and 17 Ks.

This season without his month of May when he had an extremely flukely and unsustainable .379 BAbip.

.192/.229/.337/.566 4 BBs, 29Ks.

His career minus his two months with unsustainable BAbips.

633 ABs, .218/.281/.357/.638 45 BBs, 197 Ks.

He fucking sucks.

But then again you were bitching for a month that Hunter Brown needed to go back to AAA.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Very interesting statistical profile in 44 AA innings.  Missing lots of bats but not getting strikeouts.  Also not homer prone.  I’m not sure who’s a good match, maybe Jarred Cosart?

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Very interesting statistical profile in 44 AA innings.  Missing lots of bats but not getting strikeouts.  Also not homer prone.  I’m not sure who’s a good match, maybe Jarred Cosart?

Hopefully minus the attitude and the propensity to walk people.

55 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He has just under 800 MLB ABs.  Most players aren't going to look as good when you arbitrarily eliminate the best 20% of their ABs.

He looked good in his 2021 cameo, fucked up his shoulder in the 2021 playoffs, looked bad when he came back early in 2022, looked better but still not great in 2023, and in 2024 looks about back to the 2021 this year.  That timeline gives me hope.

Screenshot_20240620_105425_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3d6e1f5ad7193e6db491abe25668400d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Baseball Playoffs GIF by MLB

IMG_0785.jpeg

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is so dumb I shouldn’t even be responding to this but here’s his expected stats and the rankings from the nerds. He’s a top 10 type fielder, a fine baserunner and an above average player at the plate with a specter numbers showing him also an above average (I.e. he hasn’t been flukey or anything). He’s on pace for 3+ War. If he’s hitting 8th or 9th in your lineup and playing CF every day that’s fucking awesome. He’s the Of version of Jermey Peña. Who if he’s hitting 8th or 9th in your lineup it’s also fucking awesome. The problem isn’t those guys at all/ they are elite level glove average level bats at the two most important defensive positions in baseball and on pace to combine for about 7 or 8 war over the course of the season. 

IMG_1217.png

his trade value will never be higher 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

In June, 15 Games, that includes his incredible hot streak of last night when he went 2-4 with 2 doubles ending a 0-12.

.167/.182/.241/.423 with 1 BB and 17 Ks.

This season without his month of May when he had an extremely flukely and unsustainable .379 BAbip.

.192/.229/.337/.566 4 BBs, 29Ks.

He fucking sucks.

But then again you were bitching for a month that Hunter Brown needed to go back to AAA.

I have said Hunter brown is a potential cy young type for 2 years. He was utter garbage in April and I thought he might need a change of scenery to fix his pitch mix and get some confidence back. He did it at the major league level good for him. 
So- we only count a Meyer’s bad streaks and not his good streaks is that the deal?  Look at his expected stats and his BABIP for the season and you will see there is nothing flukey about his offensive stats. He’s a gold globe caliber CF (with a rag arm) which you continue to ignore- that was expected to hit 8th or 9th. You are delusional. 

• Drool 1

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Baseball Playoffs GIF by MLB

IMG_0785.jpeg

his trade value will never be higher 

I mean- that’s fine too. I’m engaged in a 6 week long show prep for the trade deadline if we don’t get it together in the next couple weeks. He’s a guy with 3 .5 years of club control left that should get a top 100 (ass end) type prospect and maybe a couple lotto tickets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope Jake goes on another hot streak for the next couple weeks and we can trade his ass and end this discussion forever. But it can’t be so hot that we keep him. Just good enough to get him gone. Especially against Baltimore. Hope he goes 2-4 every game this weekend and we can include him in a package to pry a player from them. Hopefully their nerds believe the nerd stats too. They openly want a CF and they know him. Please come get him. I’m just so over the Jake talk. We need a new whipping boy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

Astros pitchers on the injured list:

60-day:
-Luis Garcia
-Lance McCullers Jr
-Cristian Javier
-Jose Urquidy
-Kendall Graveman
-Penn Murfee
-Oliver Ortega
-Bennett Sousa

15-Day:
-Justin Verlander

Minor league IL but 40-man:
-JP France
-Forrest Whitley

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Single game tix for the 2nd half on sale at 1pm.

Will be interesting to see what the face value looks like …

Bring back the ballpark pass!

Single game tix for the 2nd half on sale at 1pm.
Will be interesting to see what the face value looks like …
Not sure what you are looking for but its gonna be the same expensive shit it has been.

Not really sure why some people here think "tickets will be cheaper"

No they won't. If people are talking 3rd party buying then sure you can probably pull last minute deal, but you can do that now.

A face value get in the door ticket for next wednesdays day game against the shitty Rockies is going for like $40. Having to do work arounds like GovX or coca vola bundle to get cheaper ticket, and its still not all that cheap.

53 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

Astros pitchers on the injured list:

60-day:
-Luis Garcia
-Lance McCullers Jr
-Cristian Javier
-Jose Urquidy
-Kendall Graveman
-Penn Murfee
-Oliver Ortega
-Bennett Sousa

15-Day:
-Justin Verlander

Minor league IL but 40-man:
-JP France
-Forrest Whitley

That is a perfect recipe for a meh season.

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I hope Jake goes on another hot streak for the next couple weeks and we can trade his ass and end this discussion forever. But it can’t be so hot that we keep him. Just good enough to get him gone. Especially against Baltimore. Hope he goes 2-4 every game this weekend and we can include him in a package to pry a player from them. Hopefully their nerds believe the nerd stats too. They openly want a CF and they know him. Please come get him. I’m just so over the Jake talk. We need a new whipping boy. 

The O’s don’t want a CF, openly or not.  They’ve been first or second in runs scored per game all season.  They have 3 guys, not named Mullins, who have played CF this season and another in Norfolk who was sent down this week to get ABs.  If you watch the O’s at all, you realize quickly that Mullins isn’t indispensable, but he’s a defensive luxury they can afford.

Their problem … if having the third best record in MLB is problematic … is SP and the growing impact their injuries/limited innings has had on the bullpen.  Experienced ML arms on the IL all over the place … Bradish, Means, Kremer, Bautista, Wells, Coulombe, and probably others whose names slip my mind.

But, like you said, the O’s nerds know what Houston has.  Now, you really need to ask yourself if Brown and Bagwell are equipped to deal with them?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

The O’s don’t want a CF, openly or not.  They’ve been first or second in runs scored per game all season.  They have 3 guys, not named Mullins, who have played CF this season and another in Norfolk who was sent down this week to get ABs.  If you watch the O’s at all, you realize quickly that Mullins isn’t indispensable, but he’s a defensive luxury they can afford.

Their problem … if having the third best record in MLB is problematic … is SP and the growing impact their injuries/limited innings has had on the bullpen.  Experienced ML arms on the IL all over the place … Bradish, Means, Kremer, Bautista, Wells, Coulombe, and probably others whose names slip my mind.

But, like you said, the O’s nerds know what Houston has.  Now, you really need to ask yourself if Brown and Bagwell are equipped to deal with them?

Ha ha no.  The thing about Luhnow was- when he had it rolling the way yall have it rolling farm wise was that he never was afraid to trade out talent to get what he wanted- we had lots of good players go do good things elsewhere that were signed and developed by us. I imagine the same will happen in Baltimore.

I'm dreaming of Framber and Presley to yall if we sell for a top 50, two top 100 and a lotto ticket or two.  Yall could pay that price easily and it fixes your two biggest needs. We can even throw in Montero if you want him and pay some of his salary.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Now, you really need to ask yourself if Brown and Bagwell are equipped to deal with them?

Of course they are....yall still have the rights to Chris Davis I believe....Bagwell would jizz his shorts for him
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha ha no.  The thing about Luhnow was- when he had it rolling the way yall have it rolling farm wise was that he never was afraid to trade out talent to get what he wanted- we had lots of good players go do good things elsewhere that were signed and developed by us. I imagine the same will happen in Baltimore.

I'm dreaming of Framber and Presley to yall if we sell for a top 50, two top 100 and a lotto ticket or two.  Yall could pay that price easily and it fixes your two biggest needs. We can even throw in Montero if you want him and pay some of his salary.  

I hope the convo starts with Coby Mayo.  Play him at first the rest of the year and he can take over third for Bregman next year.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I forget, what’s the surly thread reasoning that brown is a ‘bad’ gm ?

The organization keeps doing dumb things.  To be fair to Brown I don't think it's really on him at all- I think his hands are tied- and the only thing he's really 100% in charge of is draft and development and that seems to be doing just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Of course they are....yall still have the rights to Chris Davis I believe....Bagwell would jizz his shorts for him

Did you know that Mountcastle uses Chris Davis’ 1B mitt?  He borrowed one from Davis during spring training the year he switched from SS.  Mountcastle loved it and oral tribal history is that Davis furnished him two new ones.

Apparently, Mountcastle chose well.  The dude can pick it.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

He has just under 800 MLB ABs.  Most players aren't going to look as good when you arbitrarily eliminate the best 20% of their ABs.

He looked good in his 2021 cameo, fucked up his shoulder in the 2021 playoffs, looked bad when he came back early in 2022, looked better but still not great in 2023, and in 2024 looks about back to the 2021 this year.  That timeline gives me hope.

Screenshot_20240620_105425_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3d6e1f5ad7193e6db491abe25668400d.jpg

That's the problem though, he's had 2 good months for his entire career which were 100% due to an unsustainable BAbip which you guys continue to gloss over. Those two months he had a .407 and .379 BAbip. His career averege is .311 and with that .311 BAbip his triple slash is .239/.300/.388/.688. At best, he's a 5th OF on a team that is contending for a title, you can't really say he's a useful defensive replacement because his arm is worse than yours. I was laughing when Korey Lee gave no shits going 1st to 3rd on a blooper to him last night. This is amazing the reimaging going on for Jake Meyers. The player that no other team wanted in the off-season when the Astros were trying to flip for anything useful, before naming him their everyday CF. Oh boy, he went 2-4 for last night, great, he's now got a triple slash of .143/.143/.286 in his last 5 games., .200/.200/.314 in his last 10 , and .193/.230/.277 in his last 23 games with a spectacular 4/23 BB/SO ratio.

Looking at his splits, every season he's had at least 1 month early in his season where his OPS+ was above 100, then it cratered for the rest of the season.

2021 - hot after callup, 2023 Jose Abreu.

2022 - below average 1st month, 100+ 2nd month, 2023 Martin Maldonado

2023 - he put up back to back 100+ OPS+ then averaged 78.25 the rest of the season.

2024 - Below average in April, superstar in May, slightly better than Abreu in June.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

That's the problem though, he's had 2 good months for his entire career which were 100% due to an unsustainable BAbip which you guys continue to gloss over. Those two months he had a .407 and .379 BAbip. His career averege is .311 and with that .311 BAbip his triple slash is .239/.300/.388/.688. At best, he's a 5th OF on a team that is contending for a title, you can't really say he's a useful defensive replacement because his arm is worse than yours. I was laughing when Korey Lee gave no shits going 1st to 3rd on a blooper to him last night. This is amazing the reimaging going on for Jake Meyers. The player that no other team wanted in the off-season when the Astros were trying to flip for anything useful, before naming him their everyday CF. Oh boy, he went 2-4 for last night, great, he's now got a triple slash of .143/.143/.286 in his last 5 games., .200/.200/.314 in his last 10 , and .193/.230/.277 in his last 23 games with a spectacular 4/23 BB/SO ratio.

Looking at his splits, every season he's had at least 1 month early in his season where his OPS+ was above 100, then it cratered for the rest of the season.

2021 - hot after callup, 2023 Jose Abreu.

2022 - below average 1st month, 100+ 2nd month, 2023 Martin Maldonado

2023 - he put up back to back 100+ OPS+ then averaged 78.25 the rest of the season.

2024 - Below average in April, superstar in May, slightly better than Abreu in June.

THIS IS SO STUPID.  He has a 305 babip for the year- there's nothing unsustainable about that at all-he's faster than average and the league average babip is something like right around 300.  His wOBA and OPS+ are like 110 for the season.  So fucking what if he had a good babip for one month and bad babip for another- yet we only talk about the good babip but not the bad one and we only throw out the good stretches but not the bad ones for reasons?

Guys that put up 3+ WAR seasons (which is what his prorated numbers are every year he wasn't hurt) aren't 5th OFers.  

2 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

10 year old Phil hated the trade 

This is why it's as bad to make a 10 year old a GM as Jeff Bagwell and Reggie Jackson. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

THIS IS SO STUPID.  He has a 305 babip for the year- there's nothing unsustainable about that at all-he's faster than average and the league average babip is something like right around 300.  His wOBA and OPS+ are like 110 for the season.  So fucking what if he had a good babip for one month and bad babip for another- yet we only talk about the good babip but not the bad one and we only throw out the good stretches but not the bad ones for reasons?

Guys that put up 3+ WAR seasons (which is what his prorated numbers are every year he wasn't hurt) aren't 5th OFers.  

This is why it's as bad to make a 10 year old a GM as Jeff Bagwell and Reggie Jackson. 

I dunno I prob would have got us Chris Bosio and Eric Davis though

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Count me in on the Jake train, but not enough to really explore deeper.    Eye test he's an elite defender, that at least plays and runs hard.   So when your team fucking sucks, it's refreshing.  

Now trade Chas's ass now.   How can you expect to hit when your whole ass is facing the camera when the pitch comes?

• Hook 'Em 1