Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Maldy doin Maldy things 

2 LOB after we walked the 8-hole to get to him.  I would have rather gone after Lopez to have the pitcher lead off next inning though.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ha ha no.  The thing about Luhnow was- when he had it rolling the way yall have it rolling farm wise was that he never was afraid to trade out talent to get what he wanted- we had lots of good players go do good things elsewhere that were signed and developed by us. I imagine the same will happen in Baltimore.

I'm dreaming of Framber and Presley to yall if we sell for a top 50, two top 100 and a lotto ticket or two.  Yall could pay that price easily and it fixes your two biggest needs. We can even throw in Montero if you want him and pay some of his salary.  

Elias speaks frequently of his positive experiences in St Louis and Houston.  He also mentions his good fortune to have Sig Mejdal.  

I’d pass on your trade proposal.  I like Framber.  But, how much mileage is really on his arm?  Pressly is Kimbrel-lite and Montero is kinda … meh?

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Elias speaks frequently of his positive experiences in St Louis and Houston.  He also mentions his good fortune to have Sig Mejdal.  

I’d pass on your trade proposal.  I like Framber.  But, how much mileage is really on his arm?  Pressly is Kimbrel-lite and Montero is kinda … meh?

Presley has a 2.4 fip and a 5 era b/c his xba is 220 and in actuality it's 420 against him for the year.  Huge post season numbers- veteran presence blah blah blah.  

Framber should have been the WS MVP in 2022, he sucked in 23 playoffs but was probably hurt- he's got plenty enough left in the tank to get another 1.5 years out of him- I wouldn't personally extend him which is why I would trade him.  Montero is meh.  He's a guy that you are fine to have in your bullpen pitch the 5th or 6th inning in a regular season game or 7th - 9th if you are up or down 3, but yeah- he's a dude. That's why we'd have to give you a bunch of money.  Maybe you don't want them all together like that- maybe you don't need all that- but Framber is worth a top 50 and top 100 this year at the deadline if you have him for 2 post seasons, Presley is probably worth a top 100 and would be the best bullpen arm on the market (unless the A's trade their guy) and Montero- if the Astros paid half his salary would be one of the best mid/low leverage guys on the market as well. Yall got plenty of dudes and they are all blocked- I don't know how many arms you want though- or how much control you want them for. 
I miss and love Elias and Sig. So jealous of yall.  It's going to be a fun decade for yall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I hope the convo starts with Coby Mayo.  Play him at first the rest of the year and he can take over third for Bregman next year.  

That would definitely be the idea.  If the Astros sell it makes too much sense not to see that happen.  Matches up perfectly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Pena is lost at the plate 

would help if he didn't put himself in an 0-2 hole trying to bunt

But yeah he's been bad for awhile

Edited by WBT

Chas is lost at the plate 

remember when surly thread wanted to fire dusty for not playing Chas every game ? 

he’s a rotation player, not an every day starter. he needs to only pant when the match up is tilted towards him. Epic fail not trying to trade him this past offseason 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That would definitely be the idea.  If the Astros sell it makes too much sense not to see that happen.  Matches up perfectly.  

I’m also a little skeptical that the Astros can get more value in trade for Bregman than a 4th.  

We’ll never get him now but I really liked the scouting reports on Joey Ortiz when he a big trade chip in the off-season.  I don’t keep up with prospects like I used to but that’s the kind of template I’d be hunting-high contact ability.  Our minor league system is full of dudes who can run like the wind, hit the ball a mile, and will strike out 150-200 times with 600 at bats.    

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Chas is lost at the plate 

remember when surly thread wanted to fire dusty for not playing Chas every game ? 

he’s a rotation player, not an every day starter. he needs to only pant when the match up is tilted towards him. Epic fail not trying to trade him this past offseason 

Maybe they did try and trade him and nobody took the bait. Most baseball front offices are pretty smart. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Arrighetto was smoke and mirrors, neither his stuff or his command is good enough for the show.

his stuff is fine- he's striking out 10 per 9 and gets swing and misses.  His command is a problem most days.  He's always been a slow starter at each new level he's played at and he's been better recently than he was before. I think he can be a MOR guy if he maximizes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

his stuff is fine- he's striking out 10 per 9 and gets swing and misses.  His command is a problem most days.  He's always been a slow starter at each new level he's played at and he's been better recently than he was before. I think he can be a MOR guy if he maximizes.  

I’ll defer to your knowledge because you know way more than me, but to the eye test he looks like a softer throwing Ricky Vaughn
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BrickTop said:

I’ll defer to your knowledge because you know way more than me, but to the eye test he looks like a softer throwing Ricky Vaughn

He actually says his goal is to strike out every hitter- so that could be some measure of why he appears to have command problems at times.  He's trying to spin the ball a ton and he's trying to keep it out of the strike zone and get swing and misses.  Very LMJ like in that approach- he did similar.  

He actually says his goal is to strike out every hitter- so that could be some measure of why he appears to have command problems at times.  He's trying to spin the ball a ton and he's trying to keep it out of the strike zone and get swing and misses.  Very LMJ like in that approach- he did similar.  

And I get that but to do that don’t you have to pitch like Blanco? Prove the zone before wasting pitches?

1 minute ago, BrickTop said:

And I get that but to do that don’t you have to pitch like Blanco? Prove the zone before wasting pitches?

Sure.  Or have some really funky pitch tunneling where they just absolutely can't differentiate between fastball and breaking pitch b/c it comes down the same chute.  It was interesting to hear him talk about it. He's read and studied a lot of analytics and didn't watch bull durham where Costner explained strike outs are fascist.  No pitch to contact for him.  "Bad things happen with contact" or something like that. 

Sure.  Or have some really funky pitch tunneling where they just absolutely can't differentiate between fastball and breaking pitch b/c it comes down the same chute.  It was interesting to hear him talk about it. He's read and studied a lot of analytics and didn't watch bull durham where Costner explained strike outs are fascist.  No pitch to contact for him.  "Bad things happen with contact" or something like that. 

Interesting, thanks.

Did ya’ll see that?

They just showed Framber mad and crying in the dugout. 

I guess Yainer will never catch him again

In response to Yainer stealing a base on Maldy, his “Mentor”

Edited by Overlord
G