Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

29 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Reports say Astros have a hard on for D-Back first baseman, Christian Walker. I'm watching him demolish the Dodgers, and it moved. 

I could roll with that, like the cheaper options.

Reports say Astros have a hard on for D-Back first baseman, Christian Walker. I'm watching him demolish the Dodgers, and it moved. 
Id try to trade for Candelario and then play him at 1st....let Bregman walk at end of season....move him to 3rd and sign Walker

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

I never fully understood why they had “elb” on their caps. 

Elastic load balancer they were just ahead of the tech times.

I did ask my dad what are the JB expos when I was 7 because I missed the E & L nuance.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

D-Backs really gonna be sellers ?

2.5 out of the last WC after getting in on the number last year and being 3 wins away from taking all 

hell no …

angels

oakland

whitesox

miami

rockies 

maybe Toronto, Detroit 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Overlord said:

I never fully understood why they had “elb” on their caps. 

The Expos logo consists of the stylized letters "eb", which stands for "Expos Baseball". When taken as a whole, the logo forms a large "M", representing "Montreal".

you know rainbow GIF by Hyper RPG

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking at MLB’s list of guys on the market if we aren’t going big game hunting, I’d do something like:

Justin Turner and 3M for Pedro Leon

Jesse’s Winker for a couple prospects in the org chart between 20 and 30 or so. 
both low cost moves that would lengthen the lineup and make it so we don’t have any automatic outs. 
Thats presuming Turner can play 1B which I assume he can. 

Big game Hunting:

Crochet for Melton, Mathews, Arrighetti or Bloss, Blubaugh, 

Vlad Jr for Leon, Ullola, Chas or Jake, Montero (they don’t have to take Montero- they could send us 10M instead 

Mason Miller for Arrighetti or Bloss (whichever didn’t go out in the other trade), Dezenzo, Loperfido, whatever prospects we get back from trading Presley and 10M to the Orioles (which should get 2 decent prospects) 

Astros resulting roster,

Diaz, Caratini, Vlad, Altuve, Pena, Bregman, Yordan, Dubon, Jake or Chas, Tucker, singleton, Kessinger Cabbage

Crochet, Brown, Framber, Blanco, JV, Garcia

Hader, Miller, Abreu, Scott, Martinez, Dubin, king or Contreras.

that would leave the farm with 2 players of note- whitcomb to take over for Bregman after 24 and Baez to take over for Tucker or Vlad after 2025.
you’d have ace level guys in Crochet (and maybe Brown) in 2026,  to go with probably mid level guys in Blanco and Garcia, whatever you can get out of LMJ, I’d try to turn Dubin into a starter, plus whatever BOR guys you sign or whoever you develop. 
Thats maybe WS favorites in 24 and 25 and still a legit bite at the apple in 26. That gives Dana brown 3 years to develop for 27.  If that works cool keep on contending

if not you start the rebuild by trading:

Guys: with 2 years (Miller, Brown, Blanco, Hader, Yainer Diaz, Yordan) and guys with 1 year (Pena, Meyers- if he stays over Chas)

That trade haul should jumpstart the rebuild with somewhere between 15 and 20 decent prospects- or- way better situation than we were in when Luhnow took over. 
That kind of decimation of the farm I am absolutely in favor of. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Justin Turner and 3M for Pedro....Thats presuming Turner can play 1B which I assume he can. 

I'm told anyone can play 1B. So I'd explore a move for Jimmie Foxx or Lou Gehrig. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm told anyone can play 1B. So I'd explore a move for Jimmie Foxx or Lou Gehrig. 

I’m in the camp of almost anyone can play 1B- he played there 41 times last year and 9 this year- and with Vlad Jr there that basically means he’s playing 1B for then anytime Vlad needs a day off or a day to DH. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Big game Hunting:

Crochet for Melton, Mathews, Arrighetti or Bloss, Blubaugh, 

Vlad Jr for Leon, Ullola, Chas or Jake, Montero (they don’t have to take Montero- they could send us 10M instead 

Mason Miller for Arrighetti or Bloss (whichever didn’t go out in the other trade), Dezenzo, Loperfido, whatever prospects we get back from trading Presley and 10M to the Orioles (which should get 2 decent prospects) 

Astros resulting roster,

Diaz, Caratini, Vlad, Altuve, Pena, Bregman, Yordan, Dubon, Jake or Chas, Tucker, singleton, Kessinger Cabbage

Crochet, Brown, Framber, Blanco, JV, Garcia

Hader, Miller, Abreu, Scott, Martinez, Dubin, king or Contreras.

that would leave the farm with 2 players of note- whitcomb to take over for Bregman after 24 and Baez to take over for Tucker or Vlad after 2025.
you’d have ace level guys in Crochet (and maybe Brown) in 2026,  to go with probably mid level guys in Blanco and Garcia, whatever you can get out of LMJ, I’d try to turn Dubin into a starter, plus whatever BOR guys you sign or whoever you develop. 
Thats maybe WS favorites in 24 and 25 and still a legit bite at the apple in 26. That gives Dana brown 3 years to develop for 27.  If that works cool keep on contending

if not you start the rebuild by trading:

Guys: with 2 years (Miller, Brown, Blanco, Hader, Yainer Diaz, Yordan) and guys with 1 year (Pena, Meyers- if he stays over Chas)

That trade haul should jumpstart the rebuild with somewhere between 15 and 20 decent prospects- or- way better situation than we were in when Luhnow took over. 
That kind of decimation of the farm I am absolutely in favor of. 

Half Baked Yes GIF

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, runthebone said:

We are to going to sweep them and be in first by Monday

Or only do we sweep- but we make them cry and send them into a tailspin- like we did with the Memorial Day massacre in 2017. Never forget! 
either that or 2 out of 3. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, texashorne said:

Lets hope Salazar doesn't get hurt. Do we have another catcher on the roster? 

We signed Omar Narvaez. He'd be the next guy up. I'd bring him up over Kessinger, since our manager loves to PH for Salazar in games.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Everyone who thought Loperfido was the answer, raise your hand. A 42% SO rate while slugging .353 answers your question. 

We were hoping. Hopes dashed. Tucker sucked for a while when he came up……😝 I kid, I kid

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Everyone who thought Loperfido was the answer, raise your hand. A 42% SO rate while slugging .353 answers your question. 

What was the question?  Better than Abreu?  Sure. Possible platoon partner at 1B with Dubon?  I mean- singleton is going better right now but he also had a 6 week stretch without an RBI and with like 2 hits, so I’d still go with Loperfido there. 
the everyday Left fielder of the future?  
not without a k rate under 30% and in a hurry.