Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I hear ya but the problem is at some point, in order to actually get to the playoffs, we have to actually have to field the Houston Astros and not the Sugarland Space Cowboys. 
Infield of Bregman, Pena, Kessinger, dubon/singleton

and OF of Loperfido, Meyers, Cabbage is not going get it done no matter how shitty the M’s offense is

and yes, I know Altuve being out for any extended period of time would force the hand of making meaningful moves but that’s just that much more you’re depleting your system for the future  

I mean- that’s the darkest timeline. 
If we are fucking around with minor moves you trade Chas for Yandy Diaz, go get a LF that can hit 110 ops+, play Dubon at 2B for 2 months, have Tucker come back and go into the playoffs without a single hole in your lineup and elder statement Altuve well rested. Thats the optimist case. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

We have a team that, potentially, can compete for the WS and we have a coach that’s a rookie. 

It was always a dumb hire because of this (and because he’s a big dumb dumb as I say twice a week at least). 
still better than Dusty. 

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Thank God for that Bregman insurance HR to put us up by 8!

I mean- I would assume if that wouldn’t have happened he wouldn’t have let Contreras melt completely down- but he is a clown so who knows for sure. 

The fucker gives away runs because he doesn't understand when to make the pitching move and hangs his pitchers out to dry way too often. If I was Contreras I would absolutely be fucking pissed right now. He's been throwing great since he got called up, and then the manager fucks him over. He's going to be sent down, and may not get called back up again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Goddamn, I really like Hader. He shows signs of becoming lockdown. But fuck he likes giving up the long ball. 

He’s like a closer version of Verlander, except closers shouldn’t give up home runs.
  • Drool 1

Couple of buddies made the road trip for this one after talking about doing so for years. Little bit of regret at not tagging along. Not gonna get above 80 in the Twin Cities this weekend. Meanwhile, sitting around here hoping not to catch too much of a hurricane. 

Just now, BrickTop said:

I notice Hader is fine with movement, once he starts grooving fastballs he gets stepped on, his high shit or corner shit rarely gets touched.

He seems like he knows exactly how many runs he can give up. 

In this case, clear the deck and win by one.

Easy peasy.

He seems like he knows exactly how many runs he can give up. 
In this case, clear the deck and win by one.
Easy peasy.

What was that stat? Like 60 something strikeouts in 30 some odd innings? I mean he’s only blown 1 save, and he’s been used in a shitload of weird situations but whatever, results speak for themselves.

My guess is Whitley and Coleman up after today, Dubin and Contreras down. 
bad luck that it’s a 1:00 pm game. Honestly if this org was smart Whitley would have been in Minnesota tonight and the plan would have been to send Dubin down regardless of results just due to too many pitches as the starter and not needing another bullpen game with a Bloss coming back likely Thursday. 
Should end like this:

brown, Arrighetti, Blanco, Framber, Bloss, Brown, Arrighetti, Blanco. 

7 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Tuve needs to be ok. We are in deep shit if not. 

He didn't play well at all in the entire postseason of 2022 and we still got by to win the crown. 

And yet I do agree with you. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My guess is Whitley and Coleman up after today, Dubin and Contreras down. 
bad luck that it’s a 1:00 pm game. Honestly if this org was smart Whitley would have been in Minnesota tonight and the plan would have been to send Dubin down regardless of results just due to too many pitches as the starter and not needing another bullpen game with a Bloss coming back likely Thursday. 
Should end like this:

brown, Arrighetti, Blanco, Framber, Bloss, Brown, Arrighetti, Blanco. 

Boy, you think Spaghetti gets lit up? Bloss is going to get ass fucked next time he starts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Boy, you think Spaghetti gets lit up? Bloss is going to get ass fucked next time he starts. 

Against the marlins?  I bet he’s just fine. I liked what I saw from him. 

2 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Yea, he’s got good stuff but looked as nervous as a cat on meth last time he pitched.

First major league game and he had some bad luck and not amazing defense behind him. Could have gone better than the stats but he was fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First major league game and he had some bad luck and not amazing defense behind him. Could have gone better than the stats but he was fine. 

Almost seemed like he injured himself because he was so tense, or was he the one our manager kept out there for the 45 pitch inning?
  • Hook 'Em 1

First caller goes Htownhorn and the host jumps down his throat. LuLZ

Bring up some fresh arms asap. Managing a team short on pitching can only last so long. We need some guys to heal up, asap 

no fifth starter is getting old 

Contreras was sooo close to being the hero, but he came in with a 8 run lead and couldn’t get it done 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Almost seemed like he injured himself because he was so tense, or was he the one our manager kept out there for the 45 pitch inning?

38 pitch inning. Lots of seeing eye hits and foul balls. Major league debut and you know he was amped. Was really dumb to send him back out. Baltimore announcers (and me) even first guessed it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texashorne said:

We have an entire rotation on the DL plus Tucker and Caratini yet we keep winning. WTF were we doing in April

Brown and Arrighetti (and France) were completely unplayable 40% of the time. When you start out 0-2 every trip through the rotation it’s not hard to go 11-21. Plus Abreu.