Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

The 3rd rounder we got from UC San Diego sounds good if he can stay healthy.

Looks like we went after big college pitchers rounds 3-5, have to like their projections. The Rice and Liberty pitchers look to be overdrafts.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Have to think those 3 college pitchers have underslot agreements already and the Astros will be taking some swings later in the draft with some HS talent that slips due to signability.

didnt they do that last year with the kid from north shore ?

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Have to think those 3 college pitchers have underslot agreements already and the Astros will be taking some swings later in the draft with some HS talent that slips due to signability.

They have very little pool money to work with. $5.9M. Dead last in the league. For comparison, the Guardians have the most at $18.3M

The Astros have the smallest pool for the MLB with $5,914,700. 

If they are able to sign some players below slot, they could lure a high ceiling HS prospect tomorrow.

This is similar to what they did with Ryan Clifford, who signed for $1.2M in the 11th round in 2023.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Astros have the smallest pool for the MLB with $5,914,700. 

If they are able to sign some players below slot, they could lure a high ceiling HS prospect tomorrow.

This is similar to what they did with Ryan Clifford, who signed for $1.2M in the 11th round in 2023.

Ochoa also got over slot with $300K. So likely a prospect similar to him as opposed to Clifford. Just never know because most kids that slip to 11th round can make more in NIL if they are going to a P4 school.

But I bet the kid from Rice is signing for less than his slot value of $541.10K.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yeah… we won the World Series that year, but we gave that dude up for a rental of Francisco Liriano.   

We gave up Hernandez to get out of the Aoki contract. Crane is always playing around the edges with the LT, especially since we wasted $16.5M on Beltran's cheating ass.

Edited by HtownHorn

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Really wish we could see Yordan vs Skenes, but not sure AL will make it that far

Two weeks in Houston.

just waiting to confirm skenes will be starting for Pit on Friday coming out of the break and work the rotation forward from there to the last week in July before I buy my tickets 

Edited by UTexasFight

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Yeah i know...i meant in this pointless game though.

I will be there the last game of that series

He will probably pitch first game

Middle game was my math

maybe last game if they mix in a 6th starter coming out of the break 

59 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Oh Carlos

there is so much going on here

IMG_1438.thumb.jpeg.bbc1b37b13f51939602b1d45cbca826a.jpeg

(not the least of which is Daniella with the talking-through-clenched-teeth look of “I hate my life and can’t believe I’m spending half of each year in Minnesota “

Daniella's hometown is Laredo.. I'll bet she's just fine with Minnesota

• Haha 2

@tx3putt and myself are going to fly to Oakland next wednesday morning.....go to the afternoon game which is Astros last game ever in Oakland....then fly back to Houston that evening.

Unfortunately not on a private jet

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:

@tx3putt and myself are going to fly to Oakland next wednesday morning.....go to the afternoon game which is Astros last game ever in Oakland....then fly back to Houston that evening.

Unfortunately not on a private jet

Jealous 

Family vacation next week. Been trying to figure out a way to get out and check that dump off my list but don’t know if it’ll happen 

Yankees at A’s on their final homestand is about the only game I think I can make work and not sure I really want to see a Yankees home game in Oakland