Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

So just a quick comment on the one day trip.  

It wasn't bad at all.  Makes for a long day, but I was up at 4:40am----flight out at 6:50---landed around 9am local west coast----we went and ate and still had about an hour and a half to burn before gates opened----got in around 11:40am to stadium----game----left about 3:30 and were able to go to some really cool breweries on old Alameda Navy Base from 4-5pm or so-----uber back to Oakland Airport and got through and to the gate right around 5:50pm for start of boarding and flight took off at 6:20pm.  Landed right after midnight central time.  

Didn't feel rushed at all really at any time during the day.  Long flight to Oakland, so if this was being done in say St Louis or KC or something it would be even easier.  

I would recommend if you don't care to really stay in the town you are going to, or have no desire to sightsee etc.  I have already looked at flight times and potentially will do this again for my trip to Citi Field because I still need it as one of the 9 stadiums I have not been to, but I fucking have no desire to stay in NYC.  I have been there twice in my life already and have done the whole tourist shit, so I am over that place.  Citi's proximity to LaGuardia helps also.

So anyway, if you ever think about trying to pull it off I would recommend as long as you got your shit together and can stay on task.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Oakland is a shitty stadium with shitty food, but I'm going to miss games there.  Always can get a great seat, even last minute.  From the end of the game until you are on the freeway takes less than 10 minutes.  And you know the players and umps can hear every fucking word you say.

7 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Oakland is a shitty stadium with shitty food, but I'm going to miss games there.  Always can get a great seat, even last minute.  From the end of the game until you are on the freeway takes less than 10 minutes.  And you know the players and umps can hear every fucking word you say.

their kettle corn was damn good, 10/10 

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Crochet will not pitch in the playoff (or bullpen) without a contract extension per his agents. What a fucking cunt. 
he deserves to get shit stuffed down his throat in Chicago as a huge fucking loser. 

That’s shady. If shit like this isn’t already addressed in the CBA then it needs to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Crochet will not pitch in the playoff (or bullpen) without a contract extension per his agents. What a fucking cunt. 
he deserves to get shit stuffed down his throat in Chicago as a huge fucking loser. 

Crochet is fools gold for this year. His max innings pitched is 54 innings over the last four years. He will have to be shut down anytime now.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

he doesn’t need to be in the clubhouse 

26 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I generally don't try to be internet tough guy, but if LMC doesn't have a structural issue, is he just afraid to pitch through discomfort?  I mean, what does he have to lose at this point?

Playing baseball interferes with his charity work and filming HEB commercials. 

• Haha 3

Crochet, 25, wants a contract extension if he's traded in order to pitch in the postseason this year, according to sources familiar with the situation. Crochet also is making it known he has no desire to pitch out of the bullpen, citing health concerns for all of the above requests.

The first-time starter already has doubled his single-season high in innings, pitching in 111⅓ after totaling just 12⅔ last year. In 21 starts, he also has struck out 157 batters, second most in the majors. However, there are concerns about his usage down the stretch considering the enormous jump in his workload.

Crochet still has two more years of team control after this season before he becomes a free agent, but to push himself for another month in October, he wants security, according to the sources. And he prefers to stay in a starting pitching routine.

Dodgers pitcher Tyler Glasnow signed a 5-year, $136.5 million extension in a similar situation last December after being traded from the Tampa Bay Rays -- though he was a much more accomplished pitcher, having been a starter his entire career.

6 ip / 54 ip / fucking 12 ip / currently at 111 ip

fuck this guy

Edited by tx 3 putt

As I’ve said before, do whatever the local media asks of you, invite them to your charity socials, do dumb commercials, and it coats you in Kevlar in this soft ass sports town. If you can come up a catch phrase even better. 

Josh Reddick sucked for much of Astros career, but you still have dumbasses calling into Houston sports talk suggesting the Astros sign him away from the Savannah Bananas. 

Bregman would be getting drilled with batteries, and LMJ would be getting run off of cheesesteak stands in Philly. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/jose-altuve-astros-win-finale-with-a-s

Having gone 55-54 at the Coliseum, the Astros are the only AL club to post a winning all-time record there. The next closest, the Orioles (143-144), already visited the Coliseum this season, and no other team with a series remaining in Oakland is within reach.

"It hasn't been easy any year coming here," Altuve said. "They play great ball and they've got great fans, so that's the biggest memory I'm going to take with me."

Altuve put the finishing touches on an excellent career at the A's longtime home, recording three hits, driving in a pair and reaching base four times in all. The veteran second baseman owns a .318/.369/.444 slash line in 90 games at the Coliseum.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Having gone 55-54 at the Coliseum, the Astros are the only AL club to post a winning all-time record there. The next closest, the Orioles (143-144), already visited the Coliseum this season, and no other team with a series remaining in Oakland is within reach.

"It hasn't been easy any year coming here," Altuve said. "They play great ball and they've got great fans, so that's the biggest memory I'm going to take with me."

Altuve put the finishing touches on an excellent career at the A's longtime home, recording three hits, driving in a pair and reaching base four times in all. The veteran second baseman owns a .318/.369/.444 slash line in 90 games at the Coliseum.

We Did It GIF by The Roku Channel

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I was 4-0 there.  

I am like 1-405 in other astros road games 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bregman would be getting drilled with batteries, and LMJ would be getting run off of cheesesteak stands in Philly. 

Fuck Philly and their fans.  Its fucking absurd to me that anyone would want to be those dipshits.  It's a fucking child's game that adults get to play.  Bregman has done nothing but good things to and for the city of Houston.  LMJ is injury prone but is a very good guy who does good things for the city as well.  This isn't some third world country where we have nothing else going for us in life but to wrap ourselves so much into sports that we kill players when they inevitably fail like every player does.  

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I mean Arozarena is having a shitty year, worse than Julio's, so not really worried about that move.  Now if they get Vlady Jr check back with me.  

He had a great rookie year and postseason run and has been decent to meh ever since.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He had a great rookie year and postseason run and has been decent to meh ever since.

His lowest OPS plus in a full season has been 121 or something like that. He’s like 105 this year- but that’s with a horrific start. He likely ends up same place he’s been his entire career- between 120 and 130. 
that price was minimal. We are dying in LF right now. Wish we’d have done that deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, do t look. Le but one Forest Whitley is snapping necks and cashing checks down in Sugar Land. I think our boy is all grown up and ready for the Catalina Wine Mixer. 

We have bigger fish to fry than OF 

2 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

We have bigger fish to fry than OF 

We have lots of holes and lots of fish to fry. 
LF, 1B, SP, RP, and if we want to upgrade CF and trade away both Jake and Chas for a guy that’s actually an all star level guy and not merely, “above average” regardless of what some stories some people make up in their heads comparing “above average” to team mvp nonsense that would be cool too. But, that’s about 5th or 6th on the list of things anyone should give a shit about with this team. 

3 minutes ago, APMP said:

1B is a bigger need than OF if Tucker is alive.

And pitching is always a need, let alone when you have 6 or 7 guys on the IL.

Sure. It’s not like there is a limit to the number of avenues the team can explore to get better. We can do all those things. Especially if the price for a guy like Arozarena is that light. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We have lots of holes and lots of fish to fry. 
LF, 1B, SP, RP, and if we want to upgrade CF and trade away both Jake and Chas for a guy that’s actually an all star level guy and not merely, “above average” regardless of what some stories some people make up in their heads comparing “above average” to team mvp nonsense that would be cool too. But, that’s about 5th or 6th on the list of things anyone should give a shit about with this team.

This is so fucking hilarious watching you back pedal on Jake Meyers. He has never had a sustained period of above average play in his entire career. Thi season, Meyers had a 17 game hot streak in May, where he hit .375/.453/.607/1.060. He ended the month by slahsing .241/.313/.345/.657 in the final 8 games of the month, and has continued his shitty play over the course of the season.  Since that 17 gamer he's hit .192/.253/.341 over 51 games and 182 ABs. Outside that 17 gamer, he's hit .198/.278/.362/.620 in 232 ABs. If you think that is above average, you are a bigger fucking idoit than I gave you credit for being. The problem is the Astros can't hide a shitty player like Meyers moving forward because we are running out of real above average players from our 2019 heydey. 

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

and this should put an end to any of you ever posting this dudes tweets here ever again:

Holy shit that’s dumb. That should be the price for Paredes Diaz and arrozorena (whose gone I know) if we wanted to do some sort of one stop shopping with Tampa. 

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Holy fuck, will you two just agree to stop talking about Jake Meyers?

I have him on ignore. I talked about trading Jake and Chas  on the context of about 5 or 6 different spots where the team could sort of be improved l, because those two are essentially redundant. I’m not responding to him nor will I ever again. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2