Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

LMAO at those quotes. “Look, I know the cost was high, but I want to make sure you also know that this guy wasn’t even at the top of our board.”

Yeah.

there were some very cringe, defensive comments in that presser.

a lot of cya going on 

I just love hearing our GM and manager talking about getting the guy you have for 2 months and just gave up 3 major league ready guys with tons of team control… getting him in and see what the staff can do with him.

Effectively admitting he damaged goods.

Just lovely 

what an all around complete debacle 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Based on recent history of what the Astros have given up during past deadlines, and how those guys failed to perform over the long haul, I wouldn't be to sadden by today. From a standpoint of winning baseball games, the Astros are better today, from a stand point of future value where those values hardly ever actually turn out, the Astros got screwed today. He lengthens the rotation, but probably doesn't start in the playoffs. I guess that is ok for one real prospect and 2 guys that have more question marks than not. The problem still remains, this team is relying on too many shitty players to play major roles in the every day lineup and Kikuchi doesn't fix Dubon/Meyers/McCormick/Cabbage/Singleton getting way too much playing time.

We have positional depth at CI and OF. Leon, Melton, Baez, Dezenzo, Whitcomb, and Bastidas still give the Astros plenty of options and those guys are equal or better prospects than Loperfido/Wagner.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’ve gotten to the point over the last few years where I stopped paying close attention to personnel on the Astros. This trade looks terrible for the Astros. I’ve read in here that they’ve also made several other really bad moves. What are the worst ones? Because I was always under the impression that they had to lose several guys after winning the title because of skyrocketing salaries. Was it more than that?

Edited by Dbeasy

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Lace them up and kick ass tomorrow 

we should have won today

Without the debacle on the field last night it was maybe just a head-scratching trade born of desperation. But Pressly and Hader amped up the anger tenfold. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

We have a defensive CF though….

So the giants are apparently delusional. Right right. Worked out well for SD as they held on to Snell and Hader at the deadline last year and finished 8 below 500 or some such nonsense. 

22 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Why toss in Joey in that deal? Could have been made without him. What’s really going on? Very unbalanced trade.
Did Joey run through all the wives of this organization? 

For all we know he may have been the centerpiece of Toronto's asking price. 

I hate losing Loperfido AND Wagner in this deal and frankly am surprised Dana Brown was willing to part with them considering his public comments on air earlier this week about the need to protect position player prospects that can hit vs pitching prospects. Before the trade was announced I was actually hoping for Kikuchi as a trade target because he can eat innings, has good stuff, and was one of the better trade options considering the state of our farm system. I just didn't expect us to give up all that we did to get him. That's a steep price and it's hard to think we didn't get hosed by James Click.

The only thing to do now is win the WS with Kikuchi providing some valuable innings and Pedro Leon making key contributions along the way.

Fuck it let's ride.

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

For all we know he may have been the centerpiece of Toronto's asking price. 

I hate losing Loperfido AND Wagner in this deal and frankly am surprised Dana Brown was willing to part with them considering his public comments on air earlier this week about the need to protect position player prospects that can hit vs pitching prospects. Before the trade was announced I was actually hoping for Kikuchi as a trade target because he can eat innings, has good stuff, and was one of the better trade options considering the state of our farm system. I just didn't expect us to give up all that we did to get him. That's a steep price and it's hard to think we didn't get hosed by James Click.

The only thing to do now is win the WS with Kikuchi providing some valuable innings and Pedro Leon making key contributions along the way.

Fuck it let's ride.

Only time will tell if the Astros got fleeced, but they're obviously OK parting with all three of those players.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I wonder how a no deal at the deadline meltdown would compare to this one.

From this day forward, I will be fine with no deadline deals from the Dana/Bagwell braintrust.  The dude they just traded for is as likely to end up getting DFA'd as he is to help the rotation.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

From this day forward, I will be fine with no deadline deals from the Dana/Bagwell braintrust.  The dude they just traded for is as likely to end up geting DFA'd as he is to help the rotation.

Cmon now

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I wonder how a no deal at the deadline meltdown would compare to this one.

I'm always biased toward not making deadline deals.  It seems like the rate of difference makers is really low.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

I'm always biased toward not making deadline deals.  It seems like the rate of difference makers is really low.

Rentals with low cost to patch a hole. 
good players with club control that fill a long term need for a while, cheaply. 

this year that would be Winker in type 1 and arrozarena in type 2. 
Dana forgot the fact that you don’t pay a lot for rentals to patch holes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Leon has taken a year to adjust after every promotion.  He likes to strikeout just as much as Loperfido also.

He was promoted twice in 2021 and has been stuck in AAA ever since. 

It took 2 entire season in AAA before he started to hit at a decent clip.

2022 - 35% k rate

2023 - 33%

2024 - 30%

Loperfido was 28% last year and 32% this year.

Edited by kevwun

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And he got unquestionably passed up by a younger guy with a 40% strikeout rate that was just included as basically a throw-in for a shitty starting pitcher.  But sure, maybe he'll save the season.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He's definitely improved his numbers in 2024 but his 2022/2023 AAA stats weren't terrible either. He wasn't ever getting promoted with the logjam of OFers at the ML level. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

And he got unquestionably passed up by a younger guy with a 40% strikeout rate that was just included as basically a throw-in for a shitty starting pitcher.  But sure, maybe he'll save the season.

Do you have a source for Loperfido as a throw-in? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Loperfido and Wagner drafted by James Click?

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Do you have a source for Loperfido as a throw-in? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Loperfido and Wagner drafted by James Click?

That's me giving Dana Brown the benefit of the doubt.  If he views Loperfido as more than that, then the trade makes even less sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Yeah, before I saw these posts I was already starting to work up a narrative in my head of Brown ego driving all of this. 

click: I want Bloss, loperfido and Wagner.

Brown: you’re insane.

click: look, I know Bloss is your guy but him for kicuchi you know you’d do in a heartbeat, right? 
Loperfido and Wagner aren’t your guys. You’re raving about how good your last two drafts have been and how great you are at that. Throw in Joey and Wagner to make room for all of your guys.

Brown: by god you’re a genius. Deal!

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah, before I saw these posts I was already starting to work up a narrative in my head of Brown ego driving all of this. 

click: I want Bloss, loperfido and Wagner.

Brown: you’re insane.

click: look, I know Bloss is your guy but him for kicuchi you know you’d do in a heartbeat, right? 
Loperfido and Wagner aren’t your guys. You’re raving about how good your last two drafts have been and how great you are at that. Throw in Joey and Wagner to make room for all of your guys.

Brown: by god you’re a genius. Deal!

Another scary but plausible view is that Brown knows the title window is about to slam shut, so he's unconcerned about overpaying for an inconsistent lefty rental. He figures he's not signing Bregman or Tucker, JV might well be running on fumes, Valdez will keep having critical meltdowns and the various other starters we've lost to injury aren't all likely to reach their peak again. Add the catastrophe of your choice to this list, but it all adds up to betting on a longshot today because this Bentley's balloon payment is coming due in a hurry. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Kikuchi ain't the problem he will be fine, and is a better option this year than both Arrighetti and Bloss. While he probably won't be a factor in the playoffs....we still need to get there first. He is a better option for that.

Just seems like an overpay giving 3 guys for him. But what the hell do i know.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Kikuchi ain't the problem he will be fine, and is a better option this year than both Arrighetti and Bloss. While he probably won't be a factor in the playoffs....we still need to get there first. He is a better option for that.

Just seems like an overpay giving 3 guys for him. But what the hell do i know.

Major league talent is expensive when there are so few sellers.

Did we overpay? Probably.

Did we really want that arm? Obviously.

Was the price acceptable? Yes.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Coming around to this view of the situation.  More pissed off about our "shutdown" 8th and 9th inning guys both giving up runs last night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This needs emphasis and more folks, I think, need to re-calibrate expectations on trades. This ain’t 2022 and prior. We really only have 2023 and now a half finished 2024 as a baseline.

Someone smarter than me can chime in on how other deals this year are stacking up and, yes, I’m certain there is some overpay here, but I think trades closer to this end of the spectrum are the new normal in a league with a 12 team (40%) postseason and a trade deadline that comes with a third of the season left to go.

just too many teams with too much season left that still think they have a shot drives prices for players to astronomical heights in a sport where winning 60% puts you at the very top of your sport. Teams like the 2023 D-Backs coming within 3 wins of the Commissioners trophy doesn’t help 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Watching other teams get pieces that could have helped us for reasonable returns is like flipping on Cinemax after dark to see your wife was starring in one of those movies. What actually transpired was like finding out your daughter was the lead star on a bang bros production.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1