Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Watching other teams get pieces that could have helped us for reasonable returns is like flipping on Cinemax after dark to see your wife was starring in one of those movies. What actually transpired was like finding out your daughter was the lead star on a bang bros production.

Which starting pitcher are you talking about and what did they cost?

Just now, David Dennison said:

For how about everyone that’s gone out has more value than we received- and everyone we sent out is more valuable than what was sent out by others. 
Baseball America had us sending out the 2nd and 7th best prospects traded as of right now. They didn’t have our incoming in the top 10. It wasn’t the price of doing business- it was criminally stupid. 

• Rage+1 1

For how about everyone that’s gone out has more value than we received- and everyone we sent out is more valuable than what was sent out by others. 
Baseball America had us sending out the 2nd and 7th best prospects traded as of right now. They didn’t have our incoming in the top 10. It wasn’t the price of doing business- it was criminally stupid. 

You didn't answer the question.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Not getting a right handed bat to at least platoon with Singleton, if not replace him, will be a bigger failure than the atrocity of yesterday. Aledmys and Dubon are not the answer. 

I’m waiting for us to do something even more incredibly stupid than the debacle of the Abreu deal… like giving up good prospect value for Josh Bell AND eating most/all of the $6M he’s owed for the final 2 months of the season

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

31 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Major league talent is expensive when there are so few sellers.

Did we overpay? Probably.

Did we really want that arm? Obviously.

Was the price acceptable? Yes.

The more egregious screwup imo is being in this situation in the first place. Had they added starting pitching depth in the offseason, we aren't desperate to make a move for a pitcher at the trade deadline. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The more egregious screwup imo is being in this situation in the first place. Had they added starting pitching depth in the offseason, we aren't desperate to make a move for a pitcher at the trade deadline. 

To be fair I imagine they didn't expect Urquidy, Javier, and France to be out for season.    Verlander to go down with a vagina tear.

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I get your point and generally agree with it, BUT.....even Dana Brown admitted in the press conference last night that he basically had to overpay to get a starting pitcher because names were coming off the board and he wasn't willing to come away from the trade deadline without a starting pitcher to buffer the rotation. 

23 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You didn't answer the question.

For starters, Fredde, Elfin and Montas are all better than kikuchi, have actual control beyond this year, and received lesser packages than we sent out. 
This isn’t me saying this- this is the consensus of everyone saying this. MLB trade values rejected the trade as unfair to astros. Baseball America I already referenced. Keith law said big haul for a mediocre rental, Athletic had us getting fleeced. Insiders on various different board I frequent and some that I’ve talked to offline and know are legit and occasionally tell me things said the general consensus around MlB is the astros got raped. Is that good enough for you?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Hornsbay22 said:

To be fair I imagine they didn't expect Urquidy, Javier, and France to be out for season.    Verlander to go down with a vagina tear.

No doubt, but there were still questions about the state of our rotation going into the season and plenty of options available. Remember the Blake Snell talk back in March? Stroman? Wacha? Seth Lugo?

16 runs given up in his last 3 starts
a whip of 1.54 in his last 7 starts, 1.43 in his last 15

We gave up an inconsistent young arm for an inconsistent old arm.  Bagwell will look at the best a player has ever produced in their career and then assume they're going to repeat that for the Astros even if it was 3 seasons ago.

Edited by kevwun
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

16 runs given up in his last 3 starts
a whip of 1.54 in his last 7 starts, 1.43 in his last 15

We gave up an inconsistent young arm for an inconsistent old arm.

Plus two other guys who will have a major league career in all likelihood. 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We gave up an inconsistent young arm for an inconsistent old arm.

I didn't have high expectations for Bloss for the remainder of the season given his inexperience and uncertainty wrt durability. We can at least feel confident that Kikuchi will avoid the IL and log innings.

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I hear ya, but that’s a lot of hindsight 20/20. 
 In the offseason you were looking at a starting rotation of:

JV

Framber

Javier

Brown

France

that’s a pretty damn solid MLB rotation and then add a guy in Blanco you feel really good about as a 6th man.

then add getting Urquidy back a couple of months in to the season.

then add Garcia and LMJ midseason  

then add your farm system to fill in any gaps 

With an FO maxed out on salary (blame Abreu, Montero, sure) and looking at 9 MLB-quality arms to get your through the season, not counting prospect callups, I’m not going to rattle the cages too much for not going after a guy like Snell.

but yeah, in hindsight…with our apparently inept medical staff (that’s probably what needs the most change) they should have gotten a starter.

• Hook 'Em 1

All those arm injuries point to something with how they're handling pitchers.  There maybe be something to that theory the Orioles have about 30+ pitch innings being very,very bad now with the pitch clock.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

We still got McCullers!

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

All those arm injuries point to something with how they're handling pitchers.  There maybe be something to that theory the Orioles have about 30+ pitch innings being very,very bad.

Except many teams are experiencing the same trend of pitcher injuries. I think it's related to MLB cracking down on the sticky stuff and the emphasis on high velo/spin rates.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

For starters, Fredde, Elfin and Montas are all better than kikuchi, have actual control beyond this year, and received lesser packages than we sent out. 
This isn’t me saying this- this is the consensus of everyone saying this. MLB trade values rejected the trade as unfair to astros. Baseball America I already referenced. Keith law said big haul for a mediocre rental, Athletic had us getting fleeced. Insiders on various different board I frequent and some that I’ve talked to offline and know are legit and occasionally tell me things said the general consensus around MlB is the astros got raped. Is that good enough for you?  

I couldn't care less how it's perceived or what the general consensus is. 

We won't know if this trade is good or bad for years.

Just now, David Dennison said:

I couldn't care less how it's perceived or what the general consensus is. 

We won't know if this trade is good or bad for years.

That's not even remotely close to true.  We can know that this trade is awful as early as October 1 if things go bad.  We won't know just how awful and damaging for another 6 or 7 years I guess.  We could know it's a good trade I guess by Nov 1. If he pitches us into the playoffs and a world series title the other 3 can go be hall of famers and I won't care.   

That's not even remotely close to true.  We can know that this trade is awful as early as October 1 if things go bad.  We won't know just how awful and damaging for another 6 or 7 years I guess.  We could know it's a good trade I guess by Nov 1. If he pitches us into the playoffs and a world series title the other 3 can go be hall of famers and I won't care.   

It's true with regard to what we gave up. You won't know anything about them by October 1. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If he pitches us into the playoffs and a world series title the other 3 can go be hall of famers and I won't care.   

Yes you will.

think of how much longer the window stays open with an HOFer OFer, SP, and 2B/3B each with 6 years of control.

that’s another generation of JV/Tucker/Altuve 

Edited by UTexasFight

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yes you will.

think of how much longer the window stays open with an HOFer OFer, SP, and 2B/3B each with 6 years of control.

that’s another generation of JV/Tucker/Altuve 

We wouldn't have made the trade if we didn't think we already had replacements for the players we gave up.