Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I knew this crap was going to happen.
Over 30 games with L.A., he hit .192/.306/.329 with a paltry .635 OPS and 88 wRC+.” 
Just no. I’d rather call up one of our young guys. The only place for Biggio is maybe in Sugarland where he can be a circus attraction and go visit mom and dad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get the jump from AAA to the majors is huge, but it seems like every one of our hitters just tears it up at every level in the minors and then can't hit shit when they get promoted. I cannot remember the last guy that got promoted, and was successful. Yordan, maybe? Just really frustrating. 

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I get the jump from AAA to the majors is huge, but it seems like every one of our hitters just tears it up at every level in the minors and then can't hit shit when they get promoted. I cannot remember the last guy that got promoted, and was successful. Yordan, maybe? Just really frustrating. 

It’s like our farm system sucks (even though everyone around here keeps arguing it’s actually fine. The experts just don’t know how to value what we have).

Preseason farm rankings:

2019: 12

2020: 28

2021: 29

2022: 30

2023: 27

2024: 27

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Another reason you flip “potential” at the deadline for MLB proven bats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I think the bigger point is that the hitting coaches at the MLB level are fucking awful. Every hitter on the team this year has taken a step backwards.

Altuve is about to set a record for most Ks in a single season, and for the 1st time in nearly 4 years has a OPS under .800

Pena's BB rate has cratered after showing significant improvement in year 2.

Bregman's BB rate is at a career low.

There is no real teaching of situational approaches. Last night, the Rangers were leaving the right side of the INF vacated when we had the bases loaded, and all our hitters were trying to hit Grand Slams instead of trying to hit a single through the gaping hole between Lowe and Semein.

The entire organization needs to be cleaned out.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think last night broke me fellas. I’ve mentally checked out and will just casually observe until the end. Tired of getting my soul crushed by pressly, hader and a bunch of .215 hitters who belong on a AAA squad. Godspeed. And Go Stros.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

I think last night broke me fellas. I’ve mentally checked out and will just casually observe until the end. Tired of getting my soul crushed by pressly, hader and a bunch of .215 hitters who belong on a AAA squad. Godspeed. And Go Stros.

200.gif

also, it’s nearing time …..

IMG_1505.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

We are what we are but what frustrates me is the lack of creativity or seemingly inability to try to get better by Dana and the front office. We needed at least a platoon at first base against left handers. Even my dumbass could find Mark Canha in Detroit. He hits left handers, pending free agent and can play first and OF. Cheap. San Francisco got him at the deadline for a low A lottery pick. In two games in SF playing 1B against LHP he is 3-6 with a BB and a K. Did we try to get him? Idk. If we did must not have tried hard. I just feel like something could have been done to help the offense. Dana is dumb, has no authority to do anything, has no GM relationships or just inept or something. Standing pat with this lineup should get someone fired.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I think the bigger point is that the hitting coaches at the MLB level are fucking awful. Every hitter on the team this year has taken a step backwards.

Altuve is about to set a record for most Ks in a single season, and for the 1st time in nearly 4 years has a OPS under .800

There is no real teaching of situational approaches. Last night, the Rangers were leaving the right side of the INF vacated when we had the bases loaded, and all our hitters were trying to hit Grand Slams instead of trying to hit a single through the gaping hole between Lowe and Semein.

Not a single hitter actively tries to hit the ball the other way, it's infuriating to watch strike out and pop out on repeat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

You speak much truth. We somehow made another deep run last fall, but part of that was good luck in our October seeding draw (plus a surprising deathbed spasm by Chinbeard). Even then, our major flaws already were starting to show themselves. So perhaps the bigger question isn't what's wrong now as much as how we managed to sustain post-sanctions and injuries for as long as we did. 

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

#Astros are calling up infielder Zach Dezenzo per Chandler Rome. The 24-year-old is hitting .306 with 13 2B, 6 HR, 24 RBI in 38 games this season. #Relentless

Home Run Space GIF by Boomerang Official

And we'll be lucky if he can crack the Mendoza line once he gets here, given our history with call ups. 

Just now, Mo Horn said:

And we'll be lucky if he can crack the Mendoza line once he gets here, given our history with call ups. 

Maybe Pena can take him under his wing, to speed up learning how to flail at borderline wild pitch sliders. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Joe Espada is a bad manager.

I totally get this, but I actually think we're not getting a fair assessment of him as a manager. Sure, I haven't agreed with every decision and some of them cost us games. But you can blame him for sending Pressley and Hader out there. They're the ones you are supposed to send, and they keep shitting the bed. Some of his pinch hitting choices have given me pause, but with the roster he has he doesn't have a lot of good choices. In hindsight it's easy to call them bad moves. He's had to deal with a rotation that has been plagued with injuries. I'm not saying he's the next all star manager, but I think the book is still out on him due to the current situation. Just my 2 cents. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Maybe Pena can take him under his wing, to speed up learning how to flail at borderline wild pitch sliders. 

Or give him the rookie horseshoe up your ass rub

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

I totally get this, but I actually think we're not getting a fair assessment of him as a manager. Sure, I haven't agreed with every decision and some of them cost us games. But you can blame him for sending Pressley and Hader out there. They're the ones you are supposed to send, and they keep shitting the bed. Some of his pinch hitting choices have given me pause, but with the roster he has he doesn't have a lot of good choices. In hindsight it's easy to call them bad moves. He's had to deal with a rotation that has been plagued with injuries. I'm not saying he's the next all star manager, but I think the book is still out on him due to the current situation. Just my 2 cents. 

Nah, he's fucking awful. Think about last night. Caratini is easily one of your top 5 hitters on the current roster. In a game you lost by 1 run, he batted 1 time and drew a walk to load the bases. However, you let Cabbage, Meyers, McCormick, Singelton, and Dubon come to the plate 12 times and the only positive thing they did all night was a successful sacrifice. Caratini has played plenty of games at 1B, more than fucking Dubon. Even worse, you took your backup catcher completely out of the game, so if you needed to replace Diaz, you had no real catcher left on your bench. At least, with Caratini still in the game at 1B, you could replace Diaz at catcher and you still had multiple options to play at 1B.

He has very little critical thinking skills and may be to stupid for the job.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nah, he's fucking awful. Think about last night. Caratini is easily one of your top 5 hitters on the current roster. In a game you lost by 1 run, he batted 1 time and drew a walk to load the bases. However, you let Cabbage, Meyers, McCormick, Singelton, and Dubon come to the plate 12 times and the only positive thing they did all night was a successful sacrifice. Caratini has played plenty of games at 1B, more than fucking Dubon. Even worse, you took your backup catcher completely out of the game, so if you needed to replace Diaz, you had no real catcher left on your bench. At least, with Caratini still in the game at 1B, you could replace Diaz at catcher and you still had multiple options to play at 1B.

And that's fair. 

and trotting Caleb what's his name out there in the 10th is indefensible. Scott, Ort, King -- any of them would have been better