Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

27 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I want to see Kaleb Ort and Taylor Scott pitch innings in the world series.

fixed 

Kaleb Ort so far this season for the #Astros:

0.90 ERA | 10 IP | 3 H | 0 BB | 14 K

What a find by Dana Brown and the staff. #Relentless

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

fixed 

Kaleb Ort so far this season for the #Astros:

0.90 ERA | 10 IP | 3 H | 0 BB | 14 K

What a find by Dana Brown and the staff. #Relentless

He has been so good he has 100% approval on the surly thread. I think that virtually unprecedented. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I feel better about the pen if Ort and Scott get more innings and Murfee can contribute next month. Abreu and Pressly need some days off without bruising egos. 

I’ll dream about Whitley getting called up in September. 

Hader needs time off as well. Hader is 5 innings away from matching his total from last season. In fact he hasn't eclisped 60 IP in a single season since 2019, when he pitched 75.2. Espada has abused him so far. Which isn't a shock considering his splits. In Sv situations, 25/26 saves 0-1, 2.16 era, 25 IP 31/9 SO/BB, in non-Sv situations, 4-5, 5.13 era 26.1 IP 47/9 SO/BB

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

did we trade the wrong 2nd baseman 🤔🤔🤔

Meanwhile Loperfido is 0 for his last 22 with 10 Ks.

overall since the trade he’s 4 for 36 (.111) —3 singles and a triple, with no RBIs—with 17 Ks against 0 BBs.

Loperfido started out hot with the Astros, as has Wagner with Toronto.

They were relative unknowns to the MLB teams.

It’s a game of adjustments, and it appears that teams have adjusted to Loperfido’s tendencies. He’ll have to adjust in turn, or go back down and try to regroup.

Wagner will have to deal with the same issues, but what a start. I’m a fan, and hope he can keep it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Hader needs time off as well. Hader is 5 innings away from matching his total from last season. In fact he hasn't eclisped 60 IP in a single season since 2019, when he pitched 75.2. Espada has abused him so far. Which isn't a shock considering his splits. In Sv situations, 25/26 saves 0-1, 2.16 era, 25 IP 31/9 SO/BB, in non-Sv situations, 4-5, 5.13 era 26.1 IP 47/9 SO/BB

He's only holding down the fort until Whitley comes up and takes over closer duties

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

He's only holding down the fort until Whitley comes up and takes over closer duties

Murfree and Whitley being ready to go at the big league level around September 1 could hopefully give the 4 guys who have pitched a shitload this year some time to refresh before the playoffs. If we keep winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Was looking up out of curiosity.  Being on the 60 is ok

Postseason Roster Rules & Eligibility

Definition

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

10 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Was looking up out of curiosity.  Being on the 60 is ok

Not this again. We go through this every year.  
All you have to do is be in the organization by August 31 at midnight to be able to play in the playoffs.  Yes- you are supposed to be on the 40 man roster or the 60 day IL to be playoff eligible, BUT there is an exception that says you can pull anyone in the organization onto a playoff roster as long as you manipulate the disabled list in such a way that basically someone in the org is put on the disabled list for a period of time longer than the season can last.  So- essentially anyone going on the 15 day DL with less than 15 games left or anyone going on the 60 day Dl at any point in time after the August 31 deadline makes a team able to call whoever in the organization they want up to a playoff roster.  

Here is the exception officially from MLB- I didn't say it quite right, but it's not a hard thing to meet:

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

OK- so Astros prospect system ranked by year:
2018- 13
2019- 12
2020-28
2021- 25
2022- 29
2023- 30
2024- 27

OK- that looks pretty dreadful- lets see how they do at graduating Stars (1 every 3 years) and solid to above average regulars (need 2 every year). If you do what I suggest is necessary that means you have 12 league average or regulars on home grown deals and 2 stars on cost controlled deals. That means you should be paying something like 60M for those 14 players. That would leave roughly 150M to spend on the other 12 players to get to the first tax line. Call it that means signing 1 super star, 1 regular star, 1 regular total dude and the rest is depth. That's where I get my metrics from- and that makes sense. Now- lets see how they Astros have done by this metric and compare to their rankings:

2019- graduated- Yordan Alvarez, Framber Valdez, Tyler White, Myles Straw, Abraham Toro (how comically bad does this look for those to come from the 13th ranked system- seriously- point and laugh and mock.

2020- Kyle Tucker, Jack Mayfield, Christian Javier, Jose Urquidy, Enoli Paredes, Brandon Bielak, Josh James

2021- Chas McCormick, Jake Meyers, Jose Siri, Garrett Stubbs, Luis Garcia, Blake Taylor, Bryan Abreu, Andre Scrub

2022- Jeremy Pena, JJ Matijevic, David Hensley, Korey Lee, Seth Martinez, BLake Taylor

2023- Yainer Diaz, Corey Julks, Grae Kessinger, David Hensley, Hunter Brown, JP France

2024- Joey Loperfido, Zach Dezenezo, Pedro Leon, Ronel Blanco, Spencer Arrighetti, Jake Bloss, Bryan King

Note- you could quibble a bit here and there about years where a guy graduated. I didn't necessarily base it upon losing rookie status nor first appearing in the big leagues- it's a little subjective and I based it upon when I noticed the guy was an Astro and felt like this was his big league opportunity and it was more than a cup of coffee.

That's the last 6 years. With not extensions signed this is all guys under club control making minimum wage. The tally:

Superstar/MVP God level: Yordan (if you can do this once a decade you are happy about that
All Stars: Tucker, Framber (this is the guys you need to send up once every 3 years or so.
SIGNIFICANT contributions to WS championship teams: Christian Javier, Jose Urquidy, Chas McCormick, Jake Meyers, Luis Garcia, Bryan Abreu, Jeremy Pena
Potential all stars (and maybe super stars)- Pena, Yainer Diaz, Hunter Brown, Spencer Arrighetti, Ronel Blanco (he was probably the last cut from all star team this year
Solid league average regular types- Chas, Jake,
Traded for interesting stuff- Myles Straw, Toro, SIri, Stubbs, Korey Lee, Loperfido, Bloss
Had moments of winning play where they helped us while going to 7 ALCS in a row: Tyler White, Paredes, Bileak, James, Taylor, Hensley, Seth Martinez, Corey Julks, JP France
Jury still out but I'm intrigued- Dezenzo
Jury still out but I'm selling- Pedro Leon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Additionally, these players were in the Astros system and traded away: Bryan De La Cruz, Emanuel Valdez, Wilyer Abreu, Chayce McDermott, Drew Gilbert and Ryan Clifford.

I think the “system” ratings overvalues top name prospects and doesn’t account for players who can become solid major leaguers which the Astros have become very good at developing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

OK- so Astros prospect system ranked by year:
2018- 13
2019- 12
2020-28
2021- 25
2022- 29
2023- 30
2024- 27

OK- that looks pretty dreadful- lets see how they do at graduating Stars (1 every 3 years) and solid to above average regulars (need 2 every year). If you do what I suggest is necessary that means you have 12 league average or regulars on home grown deals and 2 stars on cost controlled deals. That means you should be paying something like 60M for those 14 players. That would leave roughly 150M to spend on the other 12 players to get to the first tax line. Call it that means signing 1 super star, 1 regular star, 1 regular total dude and the rest is depth. That's where I get my metrics from- and that makes sense. Now- lets see how they Astros have done by this metric and compare to their rankings:

2019- graduated- Yordan Alvarez, Framber Valdez, Tyler White, Myles Straw, Abraham Toro (how comically bad does this look for those to come from the 13th ranked system- seriously- point and laugh and mock.

2020- Kyle Tucker, Jack Mayfield, Christian Javier, Jose Urquidy, Enoli Paredes, Brandon Bielak, Josh James

2021- Chas McCormick, Jake Meyers, Jose Siri, Garrett Stubbs, Luis Garcia, Blake Taylor, Bryan Abreu, Andre Scrub

2022- Jeremy Pena, JJ Matijevic, David Hensley, Korey Lee, Seth Martinez, BLake Taylor

2023- Yainer Diaz, Corey Julks, Grae Kessinger, David Hensley, Hunter Brown, JP France

2024- Joey Loperfido, Zach Dezenezo, Pedro Leon, Ronel Blanco, Spencer Arrighetti, Jake Bloss, Bryan King

Note- you could quibble a bit here and there about years where a guy graduated. I didn't necessarily base it upon losing rookie status nor first appearing in the big leagues- it's a little subjective and I based it upon when I noticed the guy was an Astro and felt like this was his big league opportunity and it was more than a cup of coffee.

That's the last 6 years. With not extensions signed this is all guys under club control making minimum wage. The tally:

Superstar/MVP God level: Yordan (if you can do this once a decade you are happy about that
All Stars: Tucker, Framber (this is the guys you need to send up once every 3 years or so.
SIGNIFICANT contributions to WS championship teams: Christian Javier, Jose Urquidy, Chas McCormick, Jake Meyers, Luis Garcia, Bryan Abreu, Jeremy Pena
Potential all stars (and maybe super stars)- Pena, Yainer Diaz, Hunter Brown, Spencer Arrighetti, Ronel Blanco (he was probably the last cut from all star team this year
Solid league average regular types- Chas, Jake,
Traded for interesting stuff- Myles Straw, Toro, SIri, Stubbs, Korey Lee, Loperfido, Bloss
Had moments of winning play where they helped us while going to 7 ALCS in a row: Tyler White, Paredes, Bileak, James, Taylor, Hensley, Seth Martinez, Corey Julks, JP France
Jury still out but I'm intrigued- Dezenzo
Jury still out but I'm selling- Pedro Leon.

What ever happened to Andre Scrub, I remember some what excited about him in 2020.   Or David Paulino?

9 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

What ever happened to Andre Scrub, I remember some what excited about him in 2020.   Or David Paulino?

No idea. I was never excited about either of those guys, but had Scrub on there because I remember him pitching for the Astros. 

3 hours ago, Scraps said:
15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

too late to delete. Do not listen 99% of this thread will be highly triggered 
200.gif

im the 1% that agrees !!!!

He didn't say much stupid shit other than Espada Manager of the Year talk. Just stop.

if the astroA can hold on to the division, he’s getting manager of the year votes. Baltimore manager will win it 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

There is nothing stopping them from DFA'ing Diaz.

clubhouse likes him. Maybe he’s the emergency #3 catcher 

Clubhouse is  huge part of our success, probably the biggest part of it

and amazing arms 

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

clubhouse likes him. Maybe he’s the emergency #3 catcher 

Clubhouse is  huge part of our success, probably the biggest part of it

and amazing arms 

Hire him to work for the team and don't waste a roster spot on someone who should never play.

• Hook 'Em 1