Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, WBT said:

10 over

Cleveland or Baltimore & NY need to start losing so we can sneak into the 2 seed

Yankees currently down 2-1 to the White Sox. They already lost a game in this series. I'm not worried about the Yankees at all, they lineup is worse than ours and they have the two best OFs in the AL.

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hmm doesn’t that have take double switch at the same time

No. Diaz wasn't the DH. So, Leon PR and he could have played any position in the field. You could have PH for Dezenzo with Caratini, and played the bottom of the 10th with Leon in RF, Dubon at 1B, and Caratini at C.

My best guess is Espada doesn't understand the rules which is why he didn't PH one of his shitty hitters for one of his better hitters.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No. Diaz wasn't the DH. So, Leon PR and he could have played any position in the field. You could have PH for Dezenzo with Caratini, and played the bottom of the 10th with Leon in RF, Dubon at 1B, and Caratini at C.

My best guess is Espada doesn't understand the rules which is why he didn't PH one of his shitty hitters for one of his better hitters.

Leon PR for Diaz

Caratini now catching 

isn’t that how you tell the ump ?  Caratini is hitting for Diaz if his spot comes up again 

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

Any word on why they pulled Blanco?

Just curious if it was the baseball hitting his hand or alternatively they are just trying to limit his innings. He was under 75 pitches when he was done with the 6th.

Im a little worried here 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 1

Just now, hornmpa96 said:

Any word on why they pulled Blanco?

Just curious if it was the baseball hitting his hand or alternatively they are just trying to limit his innings. He was under 75 pitches when he was done with the 6th.

Probably worked out the way they wanted as they need to limit his innings the rest of the season. Ort just didn't get it done in his 1st try at a high leverage situation.

2 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Crazy I almost forgot it started by hitting a new rock bottom with the walk off by that Oklahoma team.

1 of 162 

let’s get that 10  game streak brown has talked about all season 

Edited by tx 3 putt

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Leon PR for Diaz

Caratini now catching 

isn’t that how you tell the ump ?  Caratini is hitting for Diaz if his spot comes up again 

No, you don't have to make that move until you go back in the field.  Leon would hit if his spot came back around that inning.  Unless you ph for him.

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

10 over

Cleveland or Baltimore & NY need to start losing so we can sneak into the 2 seed

It could happen but hard to imagine us getting above the 3 seed.

we’d still be in 4th right now if we were in the Central.

but easiest path is still probably Cleveland, albeit a tall order. They’d need to continue to play .500 ball, which is what they’ve done since June 30. That leaves them with 92 wins. To match that, we’d have to finish 27-15, .640 the rest of the way. Not impossible, but definitely not easy. Especially considering it’s take us 110 games to get to 10 and we’d have to more than double that in only 42 games.

That final series of the regular season could really mean something. Somebody could really be screwed after that (we won the series in Houston 2-1 so that could prove helpful)

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That final series of the regular season could really mean something. Somebody could really be screwed after that (we won the series in Houston 2-1 so that could prove helpful)

that might be a road trip 

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

but easiest path is still probably Cleveland, albeit a tall order. They’d need to continue to play .500 ball, which is what they’ve done since June 30. That leaves them with 92 wins. To match that, we’d have to finish 27-15, .640 the rest of the way. Not impossible, but definitely not easy. Especially considering it’s take us 110 games to get to 10 and we’d have to more than double that in only 42 games.

Astros are playing .631 baseball since being 12-24. That's 84 games of sample size. So going .640 over a 42 game stretch is unlikely but not out of reach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Astros are playing .631 baseball since being 12-24. That's 84 games of sample size. So going .640 over a 42 game stretch is unlikely but not out of reach. 

Right.

doable but by no means easy. We’re middle of the pack on SOS (14th hardest). Cleveland has the 9th hardest schedule remaining.

(O‘s 21st, Yaknees 26th)

Before tonight, when’s the last time a team won a game with 1 hit through 9 innings?

When’s the last time there were 3 or fewer total hits by both teams through 9 innings?

2  2  1

1  2  0

Probably should have been 

2  2  2

1  1  0

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Before tonight, when’s the last time a team won a game with 1 hit through 9 innings?

When’s the last time there were 3 or fewer total hits by both teams through 9 innings?

2  2  1

1  2  0

Probably should have been 

2  2  2

1  1  0

I don’t know the last time, but remember this from my youth. Ken Johnson of the Colts pitched a no hitter and lost 1-0. That sneaky fucker Pete Rose bunted in the ninth and Johnson threw it away.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/april-23-1964-ken-johnson-pitches-a-no-hitter-for-houston-and-loses-the-game-to-reds/

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I don’t know the last time, but remember this from my youth. Ken Johnson of the Colts pitched a no hitter and lost 1-0. That sneaky fucker Pete Rose bunted in the ninth and Johnson threw it away.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/april-23-1964-ken-johnson-pitches-a-no-hitter-for-houston-and-loses-the-game-to-reds/

Thanks for sharing that.

was well aware that Johnson was the first to lose a 9 inning no-hitter, but can’t say I knew any of the details. For sure not that Rose reached on a bunt error…or that another error allowed him to score 

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

To your point about it being unlikely but not out of reach I’m not sure this team has actually gotten hot or lucky to speak of on any particular run. And the health hasn’t been great. If we are a true talent 630 win team (more or less 100 wins) as I think we might be, and we get hot, we might fuck around and play 750 or 800 ball in September like this kind of teams usually do for a month. 

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

To your point about it being unlikely but not out of reach I’m not sure this team has actually gotten hot or lucky to speak of on any particular run. And the health hasn’t been great. If we are a true talent 630 win team (more or less 100 wins) as I think we might be, and we get hot, we might fuck around and play 750 or 800 ball in September like this kind of teams usually do for a month. 

Decently tough Sept. Got some easy games with Angels and As but then also Padres and DBacks and Guardians. Hopefully that last series vs the Indians is for the 1 seed 

9 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Decently tough Sept. Got some easy games with Angels and As but then also Padres and DBacks and Guardians. Hopefully that last series vs the Indians is for the 1 seed 

Peg the #1 seed at a conservative 95 wins (only one of the Yankees, O’s or Guardians would need to play 5 or 6 over .500 the rest of the way to reach that).

to match, we’d have to finish 30-12… add in our current 8 game winning streak that really means 38-12 (.760) over the final ~third of the season.

I don't care about seeding.  Just make it in and get some rest for the guys who need it.  No one is going to want to play the Astros in the playoffs, but I don't give a fuck whom we face.  We can play all the games on the road, and that might be better.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Peg the #1 seed at a conservative 95 wins (only one of the Yankees, O’s or Guardians would need to play 5 or 6 over .500 the rest of the way to reach that).

to match, we’d have to finish 30-12… add in our current 8 game winning streak that really means 38-12 (.760) over the final ~third of the season.

42-0. Show me a loss. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1