Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

I asked my buddies on the Stros text thread if Espada was shitfaced drunk when he filled out today's lineup card. Took my folks to the game today and when they were announcing the Astros lineup, my Dad and I looked at each other in utter confusion when they got to Jake in the cleanup spot.

Thank god we had Good Framber throwing against arguably the worst team ever assembled in modern professional baseball. At 30-95, with a .240 winning percentage, the ChiSox are solidly on pace to record the most futile season in the last 75 years of professional baseball, "beating" the 2003 Tigers (43-119 =  .265). Hell, they would have to significantly improve to be only as bad the putrid 2013 Astros (51-111 = .315).

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yates blows the save and gives up a tying yack to Santana.  Rangers gotta play for the walk-off now.  

I’m kinda torn.  It’s objectively better for the Astros if the Rangers win.  But fuck Arlington.  

They’re 10 back. They don’t exist anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yates blows the save and gives up a tying yack to Santana.  Rangers gotta play for the walk-off now.  

I’m kinda torn.  It’s objectively better for the Astros if the Rangers win.  But fuck Arlington.  

Don't worry about the teams behind us.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Actually you’re right the only person on the face of this earth that would bat Jake 4th would be @Wulaw Horn you’re off the hook putt 

Ahem- I said Jake should be hitting 8th or 9th in a proper lineup. The jokes on you though- Jake didn’t strike out and he got a walk. The entire lineup 4-9 was 0-17 with 7k’s. Amazingly enough if you were going to chose to play those 9 players Jake and his 687 OPS is clearly the 4th best hitter out of that particular 9. Why you would choose to play that particular 9 players if you didn’t have a gun to your head I can’t tell you, but thanks for the dub Framber- let’s never speak of it again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Thank god we had Good Framber throwing against arguably the worst team ever assembled in modern professional baseball. At 30-95, with a .240 winning percentage, the ChiSox are solidly on pace to record the most futile season in the last 75 years of professional baseball, "beating" the 2003 Tigers (43-119 =  .265). Hell, they would have to significantly improve to be only as bad the putrid 2013 Astros (51-111 = .315).

And if Lee doesn’t roll over on a 3-1 sinker for a DP (after the ump missed 2 strikes) and works a walk instead, putting the go ahead runner on in the 7th with 1 out, headcase Framber probably shows up and we probably find a way to piss this one away to finish the season 3-3 against the worst team in the last 75 years.

Baseball. 

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Pretty perfect game to take a three year old to. Was over before he got too bored and got to see a couple homers. Thanks @UTPhil2006 for the suggestion about the first game certificate, had plenty of time to get that before the game. 

IMG_1936.jpeg

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to block out the minor’s face….

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Pretty perfect game to take a three year old to. Was over before he got too bored and got to see a couple homers. Thanks @UTPhil2006 for the suggestion about the first game certificate, had plenty of time to get that before the game. 

IMG_1936.jpeg

LOL me and 3 friends are drinking beers on the railing in front of the 4th level Michelob Ultra bar to the right of the foul pole in the background of this photo

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Schwab is really wearing me out. Feel like he posts click bait /stuff out of left field like this pretty regularly. 

the 3 putt of the Astros beat writers.

It's 100% click bait, he's trying to get revenue from X via engagements. The more bullshit content you post on X with the corresponding engagements = money.

In other news the Tigers went 5-1 this week against the Marines and Yankees, now only 4 losses behind the Orioles, Yankees, and Indians.

We are 1 loss behind the Royals and 2 losses behind the Twins. 

We have 4 games at Baltimore Thur-Sun, 4 against the Royals the weekend after Baltimore and end the season with 3 against the Indians.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

In other news the Tigers went 5-1 this week against the Marines and Yankees, now only 4 losses behind the Orioles, Yankees, and Indians.

We are 1 loss behind the Royals and 2 losses behind the Twins. 

We have 4 games at Baltimore Thur-Sun, 4 against the Royals the weekend after Baltimore and end the season with 3 against the Indians.

Yeah. Kind of a big two week stretch starting tomorrow

3 against the team closest behind us in AL standings.

@4 against the best record (tied) in the AL

@3 against the best record in the NL

3 against the team closest ahead of us in the AL

gotta have Bregman back asap.

gotta get someone hot (or at least lukewarm) out of Meyers/chas/leon/dubon and whitcomb/dezenzo/singleton 

oh, and Altuve was slashing .241/.323/.310 in August before today. Hopefully that last AB today gets him going. 

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the next two weeks will be playoff baseball, going to be fun

but the back end of this bench suuuucks 

If everyone is healthy come playoff time and Yordan can play LF the back end of the bench is fine. 
Looking at the OF for playoff teams no Toronto or Tampa means no turf, right?  So that’s helpful for Yordan playing OF. Cleveland and Baltimore or big yards out in LF. Yankees short porch is RF with LF being kind of big. Minn and Seattle aren’t short there either. 
it’s not great on the road typing all that out.  
best 9 all healthy would be:

Altuve/bregman/yordan/tucker/yainer/Pena/singleton (Dezenzo or whitcomb hopefully against LHP)Caratini/Meyers. Thats not great at the back end but it should be plenty good enough in competitive AB’s. If you have to sub Chas for carstini bc Yordan can’t play OF that’s a problem if Chas doesn’t get his head out of his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

I was a little surprised yesterday that Caratini didn't catch and Yanier play 1st. I also wish we could have rested the main BP guys, but that's unlikely when Jake Meyers is your 4 hitter. 

Hader hadn’t pitched since Wednesday so  that was fine, but Abreu pitching twice …and back to back days…against that team is frustrating.

I think you have to try Framber, at only 82 pitches, for the 8th.  But I get wanting to give Abreu a clean inning in a 1 run game. 
just sucks because Abreu is out for tonight and you have Kickuchi on the mound who hasn’t gotten through 6 IP since July 9.

27 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hader hadn’t pitched since Wednesday so  that was fine, but Abreu pitching twice …and back to back days…against that team is frustrating.

I think you have to try Framber, at only 82 pitches, for the 8th.  But I get wanting to give Abreu a clean inning in a 1 run game. 
just sucks because Abreu is out for tonight and you have Kickuchi on the mound who hasn’t gotten through 6 IP since July 9.

I wasn't a fan of pitching Abreu again yesterday, for the reason you mentioned. But in general, I'm all for him moving him to the 8th in Pressly's absence...and hopefully after he returns. If nothing else, swapping the order for those two guys might help my stress level, despite Abreu's penchant for leadoff walks. 

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I wasn't a fan of pitching Abreu again yesterday, for the reason you mentioned. But in general, I'm all for him moving him to the 8th in Pressly's absence...and hopefully after he returns. If nothing else, swapping the order for those two guys might help my stress level, despite Abreu's penchant for leadoff walks. 

Pressly misses the Boston, Baltimore and Philly series. Thats probably not a coincidence.

I fully expect Abreu to take his turn on the IL on Labor Day after the KC series, missing Cincy, Arizona, Oakland, Angels 

• Like 1