Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Tried to tell yall Arozarena and Justin Turner wasn't gonna fix their shitty batting.....and yes to whoever wanted to comment after like 3 games that "we" (i think that was prob just me) were laughing at them getting Turner.

He's batting .188 with them. He sucks.

I’ll take the beating. I’m not sure I said it but pretty sure I thought it after the first few games. I gave them too much credit for at least trying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ll take the beating. I’m not sure I said it but pretty sure I thought it after the first few games. I gave them too much credit for at least trying. 
They really needed to go all in on Vlady jr. And even then I am not sure it would have mattered much with multiple guys going 0-5 with 5Ks in the same week lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Another meltdown in the Boston bullpen, huh? Too bad they didn't offer us some big bat for Pressly. Devers would have been acceptable. And surely our guy would have waived his no-trade to go to such a storied franchise. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

39 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Hector Neris had just fine numbers for us last season. It was all smoke and mirrors and a merry go round on the bases. Never got the fascination with the idea of bringing either him or Maton back.  No idea where Maton is or how he's doing.  Probably will cost me an immaculate grid square some day. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hector Neris had just fine numbers for us last season. It was all smoke and mirrors and a merry go round on the bases. Never got the fascination with the idea of bringing either him or Maton back.  No idea where Maton is or how he's doing.  Probably will cost me an immaculate grid square some day. 

Maton signed with TB, was crap, then traded to the Mets where he's been a lot better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Neris was good for us both years he was here. I dont know about smoke and mirrors but he pitched in 70 games both seasons.  Also don't know anyone that was "fascinated" by the prospect of signing either guy.  

Maton went to Tampon but was dealt to the Mets when Tampon started selling.  So SD/CLE/HOU/TB/NYM on your grid.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, huge said:

Neris was good for us both years he was here. I dont know about smoke and mirrors but he pitched in 70 games both seasons.  Also don't know anyone that was "fascinated" by the prospect of signing either guy.  

Maton went to Tampon but was dealt to the Mets when Tampon started selling.  So SD/CLE/HOU/TB/NYM on your grid.

You are right- that was overstating with smoke and mirrors. He walked 4 guys per 9 and only struck out 10 which is really good for a starter but meh for a back end reliever.  Just felt like every close game the bases would be loaded with 0 or 1 out before he'd wiggle off the hook. His fip was 3.83 so that's not bad.  By comparison Abreu's is 3.4 this year and Presley is 3.05, fwiw.  Hader 3.27.  Scott 3.94.  Dubin 3.5.  We've got 5 guys this year who the numbers say are pitching better than or as good as he did last year by that metric at least. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

word is that the Neris release was about money - he was close to triggering his $9 million guarantee for next year and the Cubs didn't want to pay that so they cut their losses.

That's a weird organization that I don't think knows what they want to do or who they are. It's a big market team always looking to shed money and a team that should have been sellers 2 of the last 3 years and then inexplicably bought (sort of) this year.  I don't get what they are doing over there.  

• Haha 1

word is that the Neris release was about money - he was close to triggering his $9 million guarantee for next year and the Cubs didn't want to pay that so they cut their losses.
Yeah DFA is weird cause he's been pretty decent for them other than getting blow up a few outings.

I would take him over Pressly (wishful thinking)
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's a weird organization that I don't think knows what they want to do or who they are. It's a big market team always looking to shed money and a team that should have been sellers 2 of the last 3 years and then inexplicably bought (sort of) this year.  I don't get what they are doing over there.  

It’s ran by idiots. They have a cash cow and don’t even try to win. When they win, it’s by accident. They have the best game day experience / stadium in mlb, rabid fan base, fans across the world, iconic caps and unis and piss it away year after year.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, huge said:

Magic happens when you’re a part of our locker room and put on an Astros uni 

maybe it’s enough to get him back. He loved it here and fell right into our culture 

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are right- that was overstating with smoke and mirrors. He walked 4 guys per 9 and only struck out 10 which is really good for a starter but meh for a back end reliever.  Just felt like every close game the bases would be loaded with 0 or 1 out before he'd wiggle off the hook. His fip was 3.83 so that's not bad.  By comparison Abreu's is 3.4 this year and Presley is 3.05, fwiw.  Hader 3.27.  Scott 3.94.  Dubin 3.5.  We've got 5 guys this year who the numbers say are pitching better than or as good as he did last year by that metric at least. 

fip was 2.35 the year before...

That walk rate is bad, didn't realize that.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s ran by idiots. They have a cash cow and don’t even try to win. When they win, it’s by accident. They have the best game day experience / stadium in mlb, rabid fan base, fans across the world, iconic caps and unis and piss it away year after year.

Or maybe not.  Winning doesn't necessarily translate to an increase in profits.  They had an operating income of $68.4M last year (among the highest in the league).

51 minutes ago, huge said:

fip was 2.35 the year before...

That walk rate is bad, didn't realize that.

Yeah- for sure. He was getting worse and he's getting at an age where I think it makes sense to go year by year with him and look a lot more at last years stats than the year before.  On balance he was really good for us. I also thought we parted ways at the right time with him. 

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Yeah DFA is weird cause he's been pretty decent for them other than getting blow up a few outings.

I would take him over Pressly (wishful thinking)

He can’t be more than 200-300k for 1/6 of season and he’s def better than Dubin and such 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TejasPedro said:

Teams that can go fuck themselves right the hell off, Yankees, dodgers, Phillies, braves, Cardinals….,Would not want see Bregman or Tucker in any of those stinking uniforms 

boras was epic fail last off season. interested to see if bregman dumps him