Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’ll give you the SBs.

but I’m more inclined to blame bone-headed decisions like throwing home and giving up an extra 90’

or 7 BBs by our pitching 

Zero chance I would have left Blanco in to face Casas again when we had a lefty warmed up

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Just another poorly managed game from Espada.

Heyman pushing the line that Espada has been doing one of the best managing jobs this year and the local media sports talk running with it has been comical.

• Hook 'Em 3

Hunter Brown turning into Cy Young, Spaghetti being decent for 3/4ths of his starts, Scott overachieving first 4 months of the season,  and Blanco looking like Cy Young the first half of the season are the main reason we are in this position.  I give Espada zero credit for any of that (pitching coaches maybe, but Espada ain't doing shit on that level)....just like I would give Dusty zero credit if he was the manager.  Espada ain't doing shit to make us better, any local moron should of been able to take this roster to the playoffs.  

manager of the year is one of the dumbest fucking awards anyway.....just look at the NL Managers of the year recently.  Gabe Kapler wins it...oh man such a great manager fired 2 yrs later.  Buck wins it....oh man such a great manager he is winning awards!!111!!1....fired next season.  

Maybe I do want Espada to win it so we can fire him easier in the near future.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, huge said:

Ok so everyone hated Dusty.  Now everyone hates Espada.

Billy Martin aint walking through that door, ok???

Dusty played Maldy over Diaz. Everything I wrote about him on every piece of social media was accurate 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Dusty played Maldy over Diaz. Everything I wrote about him on every piece of social media was accurate 

Phillip!  You changed man.

Also dont call Surly "social media"

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, huge said:

Ok so everyone hated Dusty.  Now everyone hates Espada.

Billy Martin aint walking through that door, ok???

Espada likley doesn't understand the pinch hit rule and proved in a game last week. Espada is a fucking moron that has no feel for when to pull his pitchers, relies too much on HRs to score runs, and puts together lineups like a retard.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Espada likley doesn't understand the pinch hit rule and proved in a game last week. Espada is a fucking moron that has no feel for when to pull his pitchers, relies too much on HRs to score runs, and puts together lineups like a retard.

I thought the hive collective concluded that lineups matter about 2% of the time?

2026 World Baseball Classic pools and schedules are here! The Houston Astros will host Pool B World Baseball Classic matchups at Minute Maid Park, featuring teams from Great Britain, Italy, Mexico and the United States along with the winner of a Qualifier. 

Pool B World Baseball Classic Games at Minute Maid Park:

Friday, March 6: Mexico vs. Great Britain 

Friday, March 6: USA vs. Qualifier 

Saturday, March 7: Qualifier vs. Italy 

Saturday, March 7: Great Britain vs. USA 

Sunday, March 8: Great Britain vs. Italy 

Sunday, March 8: Qualifier vs. Mexico 

Monday, March 9: Qualifier vs. Great Britain 

Monday, March 9: Mexico vs. USA 

Full ticketing information for the 2026 tournament will be announced at a later date, but fans can register now at astros.com/wbc to receive the most up to date information, including how to receive exclusive priority access before tickets go on sale.

Where will Monday, March 9 rank as far as hottest ticket in MMP history?

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Hunter Brown turning into Cy Young, Spaghetti being decent for 3/4ths of his starts, Scott overachieving first 4 months of the season,  and Blanco looking like Cy Young the first half of the season are the main reason we are in this position.  I give Espada zero credit for any of that (pitching coaches maybe, but Espada ain't doing shit on that level)....just like I would give Dusty zero credit if he was the manager.  Espada ain't doing shit to make us better, any local moron should of been able to take this roster to the playoffs.  

manager of the year is one of the dumbest fucking awards anyway.....just look at the NL Managers of the year recently.  Gabe Kapler wins it...oh man such a great manager fired 2 yrs later.  Buck wins it....oh man such a great manager he is winning awards!!111!!1....fired next season.  

Maybe I do want Espada to win it so we can fire him easier in the near future.  

Manager talk in baseball circles is like bitching about the weather in small talk with strangers.

I've always said and will always believe that managers are overrated when it comes to the successes and failures of an MLB team. They get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. 

But Espada does stupid shit sometimes regardless and it's cathartic to bitch about him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

image.thumb.png.6df034079b9d66a86a9b049b9ef997ca.png

no words left. Helen Keller could have put together a better lineup

Pena at cleanup would be a curious choice even in Jeter's rec league. I'd much rather have Caratini there, no matter the impact on righty-lefty flow from there down through 9. 

If one looks at this current 26, outside of Altuve, Yordan, Bregs, Peña, Diaz and, I guess, Caratini, the lineup options are extremely  underwhelming. The daily complaining is baffling. Is it because one jag is in over another jag?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If one looks at this current 26, outside of Altuve, Yordan, Bregs, Peña, Diaz and, I guess, Caratini, the lineup options are extremely  underwhelming. The daily complaining is baffling. Is it because one jag is in over another jag?

damn espada for not playing Griffey jr, Albert bell, bo jackson or Frank Thomas !!!!!!

• Like 1

I want to bitch about the lineup but - If Bergman needs to DH and Altuve needs a day off, then what else can Espada do?

Arguably Singleton may be a better hitter against RHP than Caratini but it’s close.

Chas shouldn’t play for the rest of the year. he’s become a lazy defensive outfielder and is terrible at the plate. Too much banana pudding! However, the options to play instead of Chas suck as well.

The last 4/5 roster spots used for hitters on the 26 man are just terrible. Dana better go to work in the offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

image.thumb.png.6df034079b9d66a86a9b049b9ef997ca.png

no words left. Helen Keller could have put together a better lineup

My God how stupid is this fucker. Why the fuck would you sit Altuve with JV’s first game back and why is JP batting cleanup.

Edited by Macklemore

3 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

My God how stupid is this fucker. Why the fuck would you sit Altuve with JV’s first game back and why is JP batting cleanup.

Altuve is getting a day off before seven straight against two of the best teams in baseball.

I have no problem with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is a dumb fucking tweet. The Astros GM and staff should look at every player who is DFA’d and ask if that player is a better alternative than the current roster. 

Sportswriters, sports radio hosts, etc can be absolute morons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

This is a dumb fucking tweet. The Astros GM and staff should look at every player who is DFA’d and ask if that player is a better alternative than the current roster. 

Sportswriters, sports radio hosts, etc can be absolute morons.

also this.

although they  should stop when they get to the BB9 category.

IMG_2354.jpeg

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

22 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Fun story. Only time I ever have been kicked out of an Astros game ever was saying Abbott batted better than Joey Gallo with one hand 

That’s bullshit. I guess some people just can’t handle the truth

Even his hitting was exceptional. Jim batted from the left side, wrapping his left hand around the bat and the stub of his right arm. He was able to generate remarkable power, blasting seven homers and batting an excellent .427 as a senior. 

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-abbott/

• Hook 'Em 1

The person who deserves as much blame or more for us having this shitty bench and bottom of the order is Dana after him being here for two years. It’s not like we’re missing 7 position players. Abreu sucked and Tucker is hurt but beyond that we have a bunch of jags who could and should have been replaced long ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

The person who deserves as much blame or more for us having this shitty bench and bottom of the order is Dana after him being here for two years. It’s not like we’re missing 7 position players. Abreu sucked and Tucker is hurt but beyond that we have a bunch of jags who could and should have been replaced long ago. 

I agree with some of this but how much is on Crane and his budget?

He signed Abreu and Montero and has decided that he wants to keep salary expense below a certain number.

That may be partially responsible for all of the Dumpster Diving that Dana has done. Some of it has worked in the bullpen.

10 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

He signed Abreu and Montero and has decided that he wants to keep salary expense below a certain number.

That may be partially responsible for all of the Dumpster Diving that Dana has done. Some of it has worked in the bullpen.

Dammit. You’re beating me to the punch on all of these.

just about to post the same thing.

when you have $31M tied up in a first baseman you DFA’d in May and a RP you sent to the minors in July, your hands a bit tied as the GM. Montero is the 10th highest paid reliever today. (Probably closer to top 5 when the deal was done).

Add in the fact that, in addition, we currently have the 2nd and 6th highest paid relievers, it’s going to be hard to build out a quality bench /position of needs when you only have 2 drafts under your belt (with the latter happening all of 1 month ago)

Edited by UTexasFight
Fellow Horn, MPA. Class of ‘04. Smart accountants think alike
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

No doubt there have been budgetary constraints. But the Moneyball A’s say hello. Not looking for starters or all stars but there are bats out there. Profar signed for a million dollars and might be Padres MVP. Bligh Madris and these other guys that have never been successful have given just what was to be expected. I don’t know. Maybe he’s done all he could. Just terrible to have World Series expectations and a 6-9 and bench like we have. If you’re gonna be a bear be a grizzly bear. 

• Hook 'Em 2