Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Man, half our team has one working arm. Half has one leg.

Ideal lineup when Tucker can run:

Altuve 2B

Yordan DH

Bregman DH

Tucker DH + pinch runner every time 

Diaz C

Pena SS

Caratini DH

Singleton 1B

Meyers CF

Cover the middle of the field and let your offense carry you?

fixed 

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Dude, the fuck is with all these injuries.  It’s horseshit on top of having a manager that suffers from a TBI…

My dad has a TBI. He’s like an autistic 4 year old. He pisses and shits himself all the time. I’d let dad fill out the lineup card before I let Dusty do it. Espada is probably marginally better at in game decision making. Marginally. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My dad has a TBI. He’s like an autistic 4 year old. He pisses and shits himself all the time. I’d let dad fill out the lineup card before I let Dusty do it. Espada is probably marginally better at in game decision making. Marginally. 

I’d be willing to find out.  I just don’t get this prick Espada…

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That sucks, sorry to hear that.  

Still probably would manage pitchers better than Espada.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

We haven't scored the way our team BA suggests we should have. Across both leagues this year we're 3rd in hits per game but only 12th in runs scored. That's down nearly a half-run from 2023. Maybe in large part because we're an abysmal 27th in walks.

Tucker being out so long of course hasn't helped, but replacing Maldy with a .300 RBI generator you'd think might have offset that. Hopefully Tucker soon returns and kick-starts the run production. 

Walks and we are an awful team on the bases, we have one guy on our team that hustles his ass off like Duran, unforunately he's one of the weakest hitters on the team in Pena. This offense will be more prodcutive with a shift in philospy from a pull everything approach and a better constructed lineup.

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not having bregman every day at 3rd will be a huge opener for next season 

Whitcomb's .899 OPS sucks?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Well our left field problem just got fixed if Bregman can’t throw. 

Altuve 2B

Bregman DH

Yordan LF

Tucker RF

Diaz 1B

Pena SS

Caratini C

Whitcomb 3B

Meyers CF

Show me a loss. Flags fly forever. 🫠

Play Gamel over Meyers. No player with a sub. 300 OBP needs to be playing everyday.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

We are done here. A 1 or 2 seed was a pipe dream anyway.

You know there are almost 6 weeks left in the season, right?

It took us 4 weeks to come from 10 down to first place.

A couple of losses in August don’t mean shit.

angry marlon brando GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

unforunately he's one of the weakest hitters on the team in Pena

You have insane standards if you are counting 2024 Peña as a weak hitter.   

The MLB batting average is .244.  Peña is more than 30 points over that.  

He has a WRC+ of 106 and 2.5 WAR on the offensive side.  

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

You have insane standards if you are counting 2024 Peña as a weak hitter.   

The MLB batting average is .244.  Peña is more than 30 points over that.  

He has a WRC+ of 106 and 2.5 WAR on the offensive side.  

I base everything hitting wise by OBP and ISO. If you can't get on base you don't score runs. A .319 OBP is weak, especially when you consider is about average batting average. Generally speaking you want at a minimum at 60 point difference between your average and on-base percentage, when you get into the 80s+ then you are starting to talk about strong hitters. This is why I have been saying for a while that Altuve is having a disappointing season. He's less than 60 points difference, and his ISO has almost disappeared. His approach since the 1st month of the season has been abysmal. This is going to be his worse full season since 2014 and he hit .341 that season.

Edited by HtownHorn

40 minutes ago, Strat said:

spacer.png

I used this for the earlier tweet about Yuli raking in AAA for the braves and the Astros trading for him…. But dammit if it’s not coming to fruition 

Edited by Dnaguy

44 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is why I have been saying for a while that Altuve is having a disappointing season. He's less than 60 points difference, and his ISO has almost disappeared. His approach since the 1st month of the season has been abysmal

WGAF if you are on with a base hit, walk, or error?  Altuve has the 10th best batting average in MLB and is in the top 25 for OBP.  He is also in the top 30 for wRC+. 

Like I said... you are applying insane standards.  

Tony Gwynn only had an ISO above 160 three times in his career.  He also only hit your magic 60 point differential between BA and OBP four times in his career.  His career ISO was .120 and his career diff between BA and OBP was only 50 points.

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

His BA is 32 pts higher than the current MLB average,

BA is not all that important.  Our walk rate this year outside YA and KT has been terrible.

Walks are the best.

• Hook 'Em 1

So what are we looking at here?  

Gamel up Cabbage down? 

Neris up Martinez down? 

Ort back from paternity in a few days and Dubin down then? 

Garbage ass Junk we just picked up booted off 40 man for Neris to be added? 

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

WGAF if you are on with a base hit, walk, or error?  Altuve has the 10th best batting average in MLB and is in the top 25 for OBP.  He is also in the top 30 for wRC+. 

Like I said... you are applying insane standards.  

Tony Gwynn only had an ISO above 160 three times in his career.  He also only hit your magic 60 point differential between BA and OBP four times in his career.  His career ISO was .120 and his career diff between BA and OBP was only 50 points.

Altuve's ISO has been on average .198 excluding covid and his 1st 3 seasons when he was barely league average despite racking up hits. It's .138 this saeson and keeps going down every month. Something had to happen because the 1st month of the season 13 BBs and 7 HRs; the rest of the season 23 BBs and 9 HRs. He has had 2 months with a slug over ,400 this season, something is not right. At least this month he is back to walking at an near elite level of over 10%, or his numbers would be in the same area as Meyers.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

this bullpen about to get nasty 

Ok, I saw the news and was pissed off. But this makes me feel better

Without that, was going to say we better have spotted something in his mechanics to fix his BBs or this is a terrible move 

Yeah, he was very reliable about making bad decisions at key moments.  He never missed a chance to bring in a shitty lefty to face Yordan.
I was at that game and when he went to Ray i looked at my 2 buddies and said "This is how you get fired"

They probably wish they would have fired him after that series now
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I was at that game and when he went to Ray i looked at my 2 buddies and said "This is how you get fired"

They probably wish they would have fired him after that series now

whoever wins that series, wins the world series that year

that M's team was very very tough