Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, Scraps said:

DID YOU KNOW BRANDON HYDE AND JOE ESPADA ARE BROTHERS IN LAW??

Thankfully I have no idea who Brandon Hyde is.

also thankful that MLB and Audacy figured out whatever fuckery they had been doing the past couple of years on the audio in the At Bat app. It’s actually real time now so I can sync up the TV and audio over Bluetooth and listen to ford/sparks and not be 2 minutes behind the action. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

You know there are almost 6 weeks left in the season, right?

It took us 4 weeks to come from 10 down to first place.

A couple of losses in August don’t mean shit.

angry marlon brando GIF

We ran down a Mariners team that had a lineup that hit like 9 Meyers. There are 5 teams in front of us. We need to catch 3 out of the Central or two from the East. We are 5 games back of the Central and 5.5 back of the East with roughly 36 games left, a questionable lineup and a tough schedule remaining. We are chasing good teams with easier schedules that can also see the finish line and play accordingly. Our best hope is that Cleveland still leads the Central the last week of the season and we are within 3 games of them. Not impossible but also not probable. Anything can happen. Especially this year. Also not saying I’m not 100 percent invested in it happening but every game from now on will make a difference. Especially two losses in August. We wasted our forgivable losses in April if we had designs on a 1 or 2. We sweep the Orioles and all bets are off though. 

Edited by Mitch Hedberg
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

We ran down a Mariners team that had a lineup that hit like 9 Meyers. There are 5 teams in front of us. We need to catch 3 out of the Central or two from the East. We are 5 games back of the Central and 5.5 back of the East with roughly 36 games left, a questionable lineup and a tough schedule remaining. We are chasing good teams with easier schedules that can also see the finish line and play accordingly. Our best hope is that Cleveland still leads the Central the last week of the season and we are within 3 games of them. Not impossible but also not probable. Anything can happen. Especially this year. Also not saying I’m not 100 percent invested in it happening but every game from now on will make a difference. Especially two losses in August. We wasted our forgivable losses in April if we had designs on a 1 or 2. We sweep the Orioles and all bets are off though. 

I think how you need to look at it is this- we are one back of Cleveland.  That's not a big deal.  Their schedule is pretty tough- as tough as ours.  Make up one game on them over the next 5.5 weeks and then go sweep their asses for the bye. Is that really probable? Probably not. But we also sort of control our own destiny with that, so there's that I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Last year was an absolute beating.

Unusable 

now my gripe is with siriusXM.

Got a new truck in December and good news is that I get all of the “internet channels” on the radio including the “away team” broadcasts in the 800 channels when we are on the road

the bad news is that it is at least two batters behind….but the display is closer to real time. So I’m listening and the score is 3-3 but the display shows 5-3.

Worthless. 

If not posted,  nice story on Verlander for the 'Stros fans.    Lengthy,  but a good read.  (excerpt)

Players with Verlander’s promise don’t often pick places like Old Dominion. The team finished 19-37 a season before Verlander arrived, and had produced eight major-league players since 1965. Verlander believed he would be the ninth. 

“When he first rolled up to campus, I’ll be honest with you, he was a little cocky,” said Evan Chipman, the classmate who caught every start of Verlander’s junior season. “He didn’t get a very welcome reception when he first got there.”

“I mean, he rolled up in a black Mustang with the license plate saying JV BRINGING IT 94.” 

“He had the ability to be likable while he was kicking your ass, if that makes any sense,” said Shohn Doty, his first collegiate pitching coach. “Our guys respected his work ethic. It was nice to have that guy and have that confidence and that arrogance.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5567315/2024/08/20/astros-justin-verlander-college-baseball-old-dominion/?campaign=10832027&source=top_stories_email&userId=14803355

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

Dammit, I hate the Mariners slightly less today.  Not a good feeling.

I don’t hate Servais, but my feelings for him are polluted by the job share arrangement with Eddie Taubensee and OH MY GOD, HOW DO YOU TRADE LOFTON FOR THIS GUY?!?!?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

I am all in on Gamel.  I have loved his talent since I first heard his name the day before yesterday.

Is he like caramel and you can pronounce his name either G-ah-mle or Gu-mEL. Or is it more like camel? 
Or mayyyybe a soft g? J-ah-mle, ju-Mel, or jamle?

Oh the possibilities!

I don’t understand Bregs to 1B when we are already juggling Diaz and Caratini.  It’s absolutely not ideal, but he needs to DH and Yordan needs to be in LF.  Bregs to 1B really doesn’t by you much and it seems like a lot of risk since he’s never played there.   

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Lol ok dummy thanks for the base

Correct but thats not him. Its Wainwright

Thank you for the correction.   I was wondering if AJ’s nuts finally dropped.  So now I know that Wainwright is painfully stupid, too.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Caratini feels like he should have been on second after his hit. That was a double for 95% of baseball population. Is he that slow or was he not hustling?  

Probably the latter, Yainer did that shit the other night to first but it seems they fixed him.

• Hook 'Em 1