Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

The Phillies are showing their cards if we somehow miraculously went on a run and faced them in the WS.  Stupid!

The Astros pitchers aren't showing at all how we would plan to get them out, and our hitters aren't showing them the pitches they shouldn't be throwing us.

It's basic strategy and fucking brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

It’s almost impossible to overstate how much this needs to be the lineup:

Altuve, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Diaz, caratini, Pena, heyward or Gambel, Meyers. 

I feel like, with how things are going now, that’s a lineup you can count on to score 2 or so runs a game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Yordan's last HR was August 11.

8 HRs all season at home and none since June 22 is something.

it’s quite a miracle we are where we are with no Tucker for 3 months, no Bregman (effectively) for the first two months, Yordan only effective on the road, Altuve’s been pretty steady most of the year but May and August have been well below average. That leaves Yanier who you could make the argument has been the offensive MVP considering how steady he’s been all year (outside of May).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s almost impossible to overstate how much this needs to be the lineup:

Altuve, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Diaz, caratini, Pena, heyward or Gambel, Meyers. 

I feel like, with how things are going now, that’s a lineup you can count on to score 2 or so runs a game. 

R Altuve 2B

L Alvarez DH

R Bregman 3B

L Tucker RF

R Diaz 1B

S caratini C

R Pena SS

L heyward or Gambel LF

R Meyers CF

yeah, that plays. 
 I can’t remember who can play first base anymore. I guess you swap out singleton for caratini if you feel Diaz can’t play first every game and caratini can’t catch every game in the playoffs 

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Mariners lost, so we keep our 3.5 game lead

Royals caught the guardians in the central. We’re officially in a stretch of 11 straight against teams in 1st place, or within a couple of games of first.

if the D-Backs can take their series against the Dodgers this weekend, that likely turns in to a stretch of 14 out of 17.

Would really be nice to still be in first on September 9.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Royals caught the guardians in the central. We’re officially in a stretch of 11 straight against teams in 1st place, or within a couple of games of first.

if the D-Backs can take their series against the Dodgers this weekend, that likely turns in to a stretch of 14 out of 17.

Captain America Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

maybe he can catch fire here for the last 30 games 

I’m cautiously optimistic here and frankly surprised no one claimed him (Although, by my math, a team doing so would have owed him ~$1.75M which does seem a little steep for a month of action). Idk, or care, enough about the Dodgers roster construction to understand why they would expose him to a potential playoff foe, but thank you.

If nothing else, that arm and K% is going to prove very valuable as either a late inning defensive replacement and/or for pinch hitting against a hard throwing righty reliever for Jake (dream scenario is taking Kelly deep or for extra bases late in a close World Series game 6 or 7) 

IMG_2451.jpeg

Edited by UTexasFight

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

In June I but down a small bet on Astros, Royals and Orioles to win the division. I think I got +6500. 
those teams were like a combined 22 games down at that time. 
I’m now 1 game back in the East from being ahead in all those bets. 
I also bet 20 to win 6000 on astros World Series and longhorns national title. That bet would currently be something like 20 to win 1500 I think. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In June I but down a small bet on Astros, Royals and Orioles to win the division. I think I got +6500. 
those teams were like a combined 22 games down at that time. 
I’m now 1 game back in the East from being ahead in all those bets. 
I also bet 20 to win 6000 on astros World Series and longhorns national title. That bet would currently be something like 20 to win 1500 I think. 

IMG_2453.gif

• Haha 4

Joe Espada hinted to the media that Rafael Montero could be one of the players who comes up at September call ups.

Since he has been with the Space Cowboys, he hasn’t allowed a run in 6 games. His WHIP is also 0.67. 

Yes, it is AAA but the biggest thing is he is striking out batters. 21 K/9 and 58.3 K%.

Pitch usage, there isn’t a huge change besides it looks like he’s throwing his 4-seam just a tad less and a twice the amount of his slider. 

It remains to be seen what happens next, but if the Astros do move him up he’d have to be added to the 40-man roster.

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Joe Espada hinted to the media that Rafael Montero could be one of the players who comes up at September call ups.

Since he has been with the Space Cowboys, he hasn’t allowed a run in 6 games. His WHIP is also 0.67. 

Yes, it is AAA but the biggest thing is he is striking out batters. 21 K/9 and 58.3 K%.

Pitch usage, there isn’t a huge change besides it looks like he’s throwing his 4-seam just a tad less and a twice the amount of his slider. 

It remains to be seen what happens next, but if the Astros do move him up he’d have to be added to the 40-man roster.

triggered GIF

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I wouldn't want to be the person choosing between Heyward and Chazzz every day.  It's why Espada earns every dollar!

(I know Chazz will go down, but I can dream)

Well, unless McCormick gets recalled in September, I don't think there will be a choice.

So Whitcomb fuck Espada’s mother or something?  
also- should I pencil Yainer Diaz in as dead?  Or is this a scenario where like bases loaded in a tie game in the 9th they might consider PH for him of, say, Gamel was up to bat. I mean- I know guys days off are sacrosanct and all, just curious as it if we plan on rolling over here the way we did with Boston not PH Altuve. 

Astros-Royals probables: 

RHP Hunter Brown (11-7, 3.72) vs. RHP Brady Singer (9-9, 3.38)

LHP Framber Valdez (13-6, 3.27) vs. RHP Seth Lugo (14-8, 4.39)

LHP Yusei Kikuchi (6-9, 4.39) vs. LHP Cole Ragans (10-8, 3.28)

RHP Ronel Blanco (9-6, 3.14) vs. TBA