Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Is Arrighetti our ace now?

We have four. Framber, Arighetti, Brown, and Kikuchi.

Blanco is on fumes and Verlander is old and average.

If the playoffs started this weekend, Verlander is currently your 6th best starter and wouldn't be in playoff roster if performance was the driving factor.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

go fix your swing chas ….

Excuse the ignorance but who is taking his place?

was anything announced today? Or assumption is it will be Heyward tomorrow (in which case hopefully this means he passed the physical or why else would they announce today they are optioning Chas?)

what’s the move for Pressly tomorrow?

Ferguson? King? Abreu? 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

go fix your swing chas ….

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments to that tweet looking for an answer to my question…

our fans are a bunch of idiots: “oh no! Not Chas! I love him!”

but at least there was one surly post in there:

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

yordan won’t even be an espn blurb but they’ll spend 10 mins talking about judge ….

I prefer October air time...

I laughed this season, because I actually feel some of the anti-Astros sentiment is lifting, while they still wait for Altuve to die.  They thought the whole team was fucking dead, and now it's "Uh-oh!!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I mean... I would love it, but there is no way NBHoF allows it.  There's definitely an argument for it, but he played almost 2/3 of his career in Detroit.

If he gets to 300 as an Astro and won another title or two I think he’s an Astro in the HOF even though the majority of his work would have been done in Detroit. 2 cy young’s and 3 or 4 WS and the last man to win 300 is a lot of stuff that ties him to the Astros. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If he gets to 300 as an Astro and won another title or two I think he’s an Astro in the HOF even though the majority of his work would have been done in Detroit. 2 cy young’s and 3 or 4 WS and the last man to win 300 is a lot of stuff that ties him to the Astros. 

unless he goes discount mode, he’s signing somewhere else next season 

also, history made ….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

also, history made ….

Yes we have way too many starters, assuming health next year.    We actually need to trade 1 or 2. 

Also should we trade Abreu in off season, and have Whitley ready to be 8th inning man?

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

also, history made ….

I wonder what his market is?  I’d offer him 3/48- tell him if he stays healthy he will win 300 and compete for titles in a place he’s comfortable with the rest of his career. I’d he doesn’t like that shake his hand and say thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Yes we have way too many starters, assuming health next year.    We actually need to trade 1 or 2. 

Also should we trade Abreu in off season, and have Whitley ready to be 8th inning man?

Move Presley if he’s agreeable. Otherwise I’d offer Abreu 4/40 to buy out his 2 arb years and his 2 FA and trade him if he said no. If you believe Whitley is ready. 

27 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

remember when we had ‘too much’ pitching this year ????

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺😬😬😬😬😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

remember when we had ‘too much’ pitching this year ????

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺😬😬😬😬😬

Crazy thing is we still have more depth now than most of the league.   Phillies don't have shit after Wheeler and Nola, same for O's and Dodgers. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Crazy thing is we still have more depth now than most of the league.   Phillies don't have shit after Wheeler and Nola, same for O's and Dodgers. 

1. our pitching program still works 

2. will LMJ and Garcia ever pitch again ?

3. do you resign urquidy on the cheap ?

4. does kikuchie want to stay ?

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think if Valdez doesn't extend we trade his ass and get a bopper, and resign Kikuchie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Urquidy is gone.  
Sign one of JV or Kikuchi

Next year you have:

Framber, Brown, Arrighetti, Blanco, JV or Kikuchi, Garcia (that one should be a 90/10 he's back), Blubaugh (he will be ready and he will be decent), maybe McCullers (25/75). 

Javier potentially coming back to be in the bullpen down the stretch- but I'm not counting on him. 

That should be plenty enough.  

• Like 1

Framber should be traded this offseason for prospects and use whatever we were going to pay him to sign another pitcher. It’s the only way to use the same money and also get prospects to keep the window open. There is no reason this window should close while Yordan is still in his prime. A good GM can extend this another four years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hornsbay22 said:

11 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Framber should be traded this offseason for prospects and use whatever we were going to pay him to sign another pitcher. It’s the only way to use the same money and also get prospects to keep the window open. There is no reason this window should close while Yordan is still in his prime. A good GM can extend this another four years. 

GOD DAMMIT!!! 

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

Rage GIF

• Haha 2

This hurts.  Pissed the Dodgers DFA's him in order to bring back shitty Chris Taylor.  Good pickup for the Astros.  Great clubhouse guy, and he's been a clutch pinch hitter this year.  And still plays a very serviceable RF.

19 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

GOD DAMMIT!!! 

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

Rage GIF

lol I get it. But at the same time we have got to get younger and cheaper and better to keep window open. How long will Crane keep riding the salary threshold lines? We keep letting our assets walk away without using them to replenish. I’d like to keep Tucker Yordan and Yainer as a core and keep adding to that. Framber is our best asset to get a big return. We may have to trade Tucker too. But if we are going to spend 25-30 million on Framber, we could also trade him for a couple potential starters and still use that same money on another pitcher. Standing pat is backing up. Our outfield is a mess. I’d have no trouble trading Framber for a young outfielder, 1B and/or pitcher. Is anyone scared of facing headcase Framber in a playoff someday? You have to give to get. Anyway, it’s just spitballing crap. No matter how well we finish this year there are major moves needing to be made. But I’ll take another flag first. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Verlander isn't getting to 300, and definitely not as an Astro unless he's willingly to get paid $10M a season. The Astros should let him walk and resign Kikuchi and then trade Framber if they get reach a long term deal with him.

The fact that we have Arighetti and Brown looking like TORs making pennies allows us to do some real fun roster management.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

This year might have sunk his shot.  He's at 3 wins on the season and he still needs 40 more with injuries starting to pop up regularly.  He's also lost enough on his fastball that he can't throw it by people regularly anymore.  I don't think he's getting there without a Greinke-like approach change.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1