Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

If the playoffs started tomorrow, would JV be in the starting rotation for the playoffs?

Based on recent performances, he’s not in the top 4 (Framber, Brown, Kikuchi and Spaghetti).

I started to open Pandora’s box on this same question yesterday after the Espada visit to the mound when JV stayed in.

JV has no business being a starter in the playoffs right now. Thankfully for the front office/Espada/fans, we don’t have to worry about that now.

also thankfully for all of the above, if things play out for the next 30 days like they’ve looked the last few weeks, it’s also any easy decision (no JV).

but what happens if arrighetti has 2 great starts, 2 mediocre starts and 1 bad start in September. Meanwhile, JV looks mediocre the entire month and posts something like a 4.50 ERA?

May come down to whether we’re the 2 or 3 seed.

If the 3 seed, I can see them skipping JV in the WC round and giving him the ball  game 1 of the LDS (have 4 games to overcome a shit start). But if we’re the 2 seed and down 2-1 in the LDS, it gets realllly interesting who gets the ball with your season on the line. (And we all know they’re giving the ball to JV since we’re now run by “old-school” instinct baseball guys instead of going with the smart, analytical play). 

Edited by UTexasFight
Also, f off days
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I started to open Pandora’s box on this same question yesterday after the Espada visit to the mound when JV stayed in.

JV has no business being a starter in the playoffs right now. Thankfully for the front office/Espada/fans, we don’t have to worry about that now.

also thankfully for all of the above, if things play out for the next 30 days like they’ve looked the last few weeks, it’s also any easy decision (no JV).

but what happens if arrighetti has 2 great starts, 2 mediocre starts and 1 bad start in September. Meanwhile, JV looks mediocre the entire month and posts something like a 4.50 ERA?

May come down to whether we’re the 2 or 3 seed.

If the 3 seed, I can see them skipping JV in the WC round and giving him the ball  game 1 of the LDS (have 4 games to overcome a shit start). But if we’re the 2 seed and down 2-1 in the LDS, it gets realllly interesting who gets the ball with your season on the line. (And we all know they’re giving the ball to JV since we’re now run by “old-school” instinct baseball guys instead of going with the smart, analytical play). 

JV would be fine in the playoffs, but I don't want fine.  I want Cuchi popping.....strike outs all over the place.

Some quick math. If the Stros go 12-12. Seattle would have to go 18-6 the rest of the way to catch them. The problem with Seattle is that they have turned into a terrible road team with 12 road games remaining. We need to break the Reds curse or whatever Voodoo they have over us.

2 hours ago, ckhorn said:

We need to break the Reds curse or whatever Voodoo they have over us.

We’ll lose tomorrow and then blow them out game 3/Thursday which is the 29th anniversary of this: 

(Fun fact: Astros blew them out in that game which avoided a season sweep by the Reds (were 0-11 up to that point).

fun fact 2: gotta be the only game in MLB history where 2 boys from Victoria got tossed. Drabek (St. Joe’s!) and Gant (Stroman/VHS)

man that was a fun rivalry in mid-90s. Sucks we got our ass kicked so much though 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

We’ll lose tomorrow and then blow them out game 3/Thursday which is the 29th anniversary of this: 

(Fun fact: Astros blew them out in that game which avoided a season sweep by the Reds (were 0-11 up to that point).

fun fact 2: gotta be the only game in MLB history where 2 boys from Victoria got tossed. Drabek (St. Joe’s!) and Gant (Stroman/VHS)

man that was a fun rivalry in mid-90s. Sucks we got our ass kicked so much though 

VHS, his mom is an extremely nice person 

drabek’s kid is a huge douche 

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

How's X-man gonna do us like that?

This team has proven time and time again that if they make the postseason, you dont want to fuck with them. We are in the golden age of astro baseball. Sure this season was rough at the beginning but the team is now ready for the playoffs. No offense to random fans in this thread, I feel more ready for this postseason than Philly or Dodgers fans. We have a track record of consistent post-season success. Those teams just dont have the mental to hang with us in the postseason. I dont even feel like its a homer take. It's just true

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

A's walk it off in the 9th to beat the M's 3-2!

ESPN dropped the M's playoff chances to 7.1%, 6.5 games back from the Astros. 

image.png.72977abd75e55e32851a988f159ebc7c.png

They must have re-run some numbers in the last few minutes cause the Mariner's chances are now down to 4.5%

Screenshot_20240903_235258_Chrome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Some quick math. If the Stros go 12-12. Seattle would have to go 18-6 the rest of the way to catch them. The problem with Seattle is that they have turned into a terrible road team with 12 road games remaining. We need to break the Reds curse or whatever Voodoo they have over us.

I need them to go 14-10 to win my over 88.5 I placed last December.  

I am fully expecting us to go 13-11

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Tied with MIN, 4 back of NYY, BAL, and CLE in the loss column.  Finish strong and secure the bye.

Lose tiebreaker to Yankees. Win over Baltimore and Cleveland. It’s not decided yet with Cleveland but if we got 2-1 we win tiebreaker. We ain’t chasing them down if we don’t go at least 2-1 against them. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, Scraps said:

Damn walk off losses 3 of last 4 games.

Seattle fans gotta be on suicide watch

and all they have to look forward to in the fall is Geno at QB.

but man, I can’t imagine the meltdown on this thread if we got walked off 3 out of 4 late in a pennant race. Chernobyl would look welcoming. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 hours ago, runthebone said:

Pretty crazy the Astros have the biggest division lead in the AL.  I still want to punch this team in face pretty frequently.

surly thread : fire entire coaching staff, gm, medical staff, jake, chas, singleton, jv, framber, ….. !!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lose tiebreaker to Yankees. Win over Baltimore and Cleveland. It’s not decided yet with Cleveland but if we got 2-1 we win tiebreaker. We ain’t chasing them down if we don’t go at least 2-1 against them. 

lot of games left, damn it’s going to be a fun race to finish this season 

29 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

So how did that misdiagnosis fuck up or not fuck up his recovery? I know he didn’t do baseball activities for a while, but wouldn’t you normally be in a cast for that type of “suspected” fracture?

did the fact that he wasn’t further delay his recovery?

so many additional questions 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So how did that misdiagnosis fuck up or not fuck up his recovery? I know he didn’t do baseball activities for a while, but wouldn’t you normally be in a cast for that type of “suspected” fracture?

hippa laws !!!!!!

8 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

the bigger question imo is "What did you know and when did you know it?" 

And "What is your response to the fans who are angry because they feel like they were lied to?"

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

Also, if you knew Tucker had a fracture and his timetable was so far out, why not trade for an outfielder at the deadline?  Seems like it's still a huge hole in the roster. 

i don’t pay close attention, but have any of traded of’s done anything ?

we had enough to trade for quality player, and we nailed it 

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Also, if you knew Tucker had a fracture and his timetable was so far out, why not trade for an outfielder at the deadline?  Seems like it's still a huge hole in the roster. 

Who is better than Gamel and Heyward?  I mean, Tucker might not be able to beat those two guys out.

• Haha 1

Gamel has been a nice surprise, but I think at the time, they were still using Cabbage and Loperfido quite a bit (until he was traded).

Picking up Hayward recently on waivers was pure luck. I'm happy he's here, but that seems to be more fortune than a real plan.  

There were a few OFs that have been alright since the deadline. Jazz Chisholm was the best one, but the Yankees got him. Soler went to the Braves and he's been hitting well. There are others who are doing a lot better at the plate that what the collection of Chas/Jake/Dubon is doing. Chas is the easiest to upgrade, and was playing most of the games in July, yet he hit .200 and had an OPS of .547. Not great, seemed like we needed more there, and makes the Tucker info more impactful to the team. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

surly thread : fire entire coaching staff, gm, medical staff, jake, chas, singleton, jv, framber, ….. !!!!!!!

We are still underperforming for our talent level. We just happen to play in a division that has two other teams that are underperforming worse than us.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

i don’t pay close attention, but have any of traded of’s done anything ?

we had enough to trade for quality player, and we nailed it 

Not really, Soler has a bad batting average but a decent enough OPS compared to our OF.