Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Astros rotation vs. Arizona:
Fri: Framber Valdez
Sat: Yusei Kikuchi
Sun: Justin Verlander

Houston will skip Ronel Blanco’s turn with the intent of returning to a six-man rotation during the stretch of 16 games without an off-day later this month.

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Chad back down today when Tucker gets activated?

Is this our best lineup?

Altuve 2B

Alvarez LF

Diaz DH

Bregman 3B

Tucker RF

Caratini C

Pena SS

Singleton 1B

Meyers CF

move Tucker up to 2 and slide the others down one after he finds his timing?

Meyers has to come back as well so it will be Chas and someone. And Kyle has to come off 60 day so a 40 man move as well. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_1758.jpeg

Bregman is a moderately better hitter but most importantly he is a year younger.  He will get a 7 year deal in free agency if he ends the year healthy (big question as I’ve read his elbow might require surgery after the season).  I’m guessing $220M/7yrs is his ceiling with $190M/7yrs my estimate assuming he has a clean physical.  Houston isn’t paying that.  Best case for Houston is if teams get scared by his elbow and he has to take a pillow deal in which case the Astros have a shot to sign him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Bregman is a moderately better hitter but most importantly he is a year younger.  He will get a 7 year deal in free agency if he ends the year healthy (big question as I’ve read his elbow might require surgery after the season).  I’m guessing $220M/7yrs is his ceiling with $190M/7yrs my estimate assuming he has a clean physical.  Houston isn’t paying that.  Best case for Houston is if teams get scared by his elbow and he has to take a pillow deal in which case the Astros have a shot to sign him.

I have no interest in a pillow deal just to kick the can down the road to when you have Tucker, Bregman, and Framber as FAs. Offer him a 5-125 deal, which is in the same ballpark as his contemporary, and if he says no you move on with the $25M to upgrade the roster in other places and give Whitcomb the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

From what I know, the contract bregs wants isn't going to come from the Astros. Dude is insane if he thinks he'd get that deal from astros

He is insane if he thinks anyone is going to give him that deal. He's been a good player since his career season in 2019. Taking out the Covid season, Bregman has produced 15.5 WAR according to FG from 2021-2024, in 2018+2019 he produced 16.2, he wants to get paid like he's still the player we was 6 years ago, and he's simply not.

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He is insane if he thinks anyone is going to give him that deal. He's been a good player since his career season in 2019. Taking out the Covid season, Bregman has produced 15.5 WAR according to FG from 2021-2024, in 2018+2019 he produced 16.2, he wants to get paid like he's still the player we was 6 years ago, and he's simply not.

Let him go play with Correa and the Twins. I’m sure Reagan would love that and his salsa would murder it in the twin cities 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I have no interest in a pillow deal just to kick the can down the road to when you have Tucker, Bregman, and Framber as FAs. Offer him a 5-125 deal, which is in the same ballpark as his contemporary, and if he says no you move on with the $25M to upgrade the roster in other places and give Whitcomb the job.

Problem is there aren’t any good options to spend that $25M/yr on.  $125M/5yrs is gonna buy somebody like Anthony Santander or Tyler O’Neill.  Theres probably a way to use $25M to patch together upgrades at both 1B and LF but it’s risky (it likely means signing older guys like Canha or Santana or JD Martinez or guys with warts like Joc Pederson).  It’s mostly just a bummer that they don’t have a better sample from Whitcomb or Dezenzo to see how good they might actually be.  That combined with McCormick’s fall off has exacerbated the issue of losing Bregman.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

Whoever said it the other day about how much time off these announcers take off, I completely agree.

i get 162 like Milo and brownie were pulling back in the day was probably excessive, but this seems ridiculous.

eschenfelder back in the box for Kalas tonight.

bagwell moves over to the radio booth with Ford.

bit sure if it’s the whole series or just tonight related to charity night stuff