Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

9 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

How the hell did Espada not ITB Booker with the left on deck?

My biggest complaint with Espada is having too much faith in his players and refusing to make the "safe" managerial call.

Seems like he won't call for a bunt in extras. Won't walk a hot hitter when there's a base open in a tight game. Always tries to wring 1 more inning out of a laboring pitcher. 

"I trust my guy to deliver in that situation" and then they don't and we end up losing by 1 run.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Tuesday night game was the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Abreu comes in and fucking dominates, holding the A's scoreless in both the 10th and 11th. All you need is a single run and it's an instant W. You're not sacrificing anything by giving up an out to move the runner over. Him scoring is the only thing that matters and you take home the W. Nope, swing away boys!

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

My biggest complaint with Espada is having too much faith in his players and refusing to make the "safe" managerial call.

Seems like he won't call for a bunt in extras. Won't walk a hot hitter when there's a base open in a tight game. Always tries to wring 1 more inning out of a laboring pitcher. 

"I trust my guy to deliver in that situation" and then they don't and we end up losing by 1 run.

I certainly understand wanting your guys to succeed and showing confidence in them to do so. Then again, there have to be limits on hopes and hunches. Conventional wisdom isn't always right, but it's the way to bet. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

You're not sacrificing anything by giving up an out to move the runner over.

Huh, why do they call it a sacrifice then?

Most of the guys you'd want to bunt are probably 50/50 at best to get it down.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

Huh, why do they call it a sacrifice then?

Most of the guys you'd want to bunt are probably 50/50 at best to get it down.

You don't need the batter to score or even get on base in the scenario I'm describing. That's what I meant.

How fucking stupid does Espada have to be to continue to use Hader in Non-Sv situations, especially considering you have already surpassed his career high in appearences and you are looking at going into the playoffs with Abreu and Hader on fumes?

Edited by HtownHorn