Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

9 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

While I love the movie Major League, does anyone else besides me have a problem with Jake Taylor batting with a catchers skull cap?spacer.png

This is nothing.  The worst thing about this movie is having Jake hit second behind Willy.  

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't hate this.  Would I like to have Vlad, Jr.?  Sure.  But as a roster piece that would allow us to extend or sign other dudes, this could work.

Same.  It's not ideal, of course, but it works. 

Plus I still have a soft spot for his story.  Highly touted young player fucks things up due to stupidity/youth.  Years later gets his head on somewhat straight, pays his dues, and makes it back to the league.  Hell, with another 20 HRs and some exploding lights, we've got our very own Roy Hobbs (with a washed Jose Abreu standing in for Bump Bailey).

• Hook 'Em 1

If singleton starts against a LHP Espada should get kicked in the nuts. He can have every start against RHP if he wants. 
best 9 against RHP of Framber or Nrown is on the mound (strikeout and ground ball guys) 

Altuve, Alvarez (LF), Bregman, Tucker, Diaz (catcher) singleton (1B), Caratini (DH) Pena, Heyward (CF). 

Heyward played there a fair bit last year, a little this year and the Astros put him in last week, so he’s probably fine with a strikeout/ground ball guy on the mound for us. Wouldn’t want him out there with Kikuchi or JV. Meyers to play defense after we get a lead or Heyward has his last AB, whichever comes first. 

against LHP:

Altuve, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Diaz, Pena, whitcomb (1B), meyers, Dubon (LF). 
if Chas is back he plays LF and Dubon plays 1B against LHP. 

I think that’s our best 9 both ways. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

In the early 80s MLB required new players to wear a flap but the old players could still wear flap-less helmets for the rest of their career if they chose to.

Jake obviously chose not to wear the flap.

Like Craig MacTavish taking "advantage" of not needing to wear a helmet in the NHL

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he’s the plan at 1st for next season.

diaz / singleton combo is good for what you’re paying 

Him playing 1st next season is fine with me as he should spend a decent amount of time in the off season/spring training working on the nuances of playing 1st base. But, don't need him trying to figure it out on the fly during a playoff race.