Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

When is MLB going to make a check swing a reviewable call?

it’s a real problem that’s already had postseason implications 

I did, at least, hear at the Express game the other night that they are bringing the ABS challenge system to spring training next year so that’s a positive development 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

When is MLB going to make a check swing a reviewable call?

it’s a real problem that’s already had postseason implications 

I did, at least, hear at the Express game the other night that they are bringing the ABS challenge system to spring training next year so that’s a positive development 

Almost a guarantee that the challenge system will be in place for the 26 baseball season. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Almost a guarantee that the challenge system will be in place for the 26 baseball season. 

I heard ‘27.

i hope it’s ‘26.

the good news is every year it’s used in the minors that’s that many more guys who have known nothing else in pro baseball by the time they get to The Show.

you'll have a long tail  of old timers like JV but I imagine you’ll quickly reach over half of the players that are used to it by the time they introduce it in the majors.

Of course, this the players, not the umps a lot of which are around longer than most of the players haven alive. i have no idea what’s been happening on the ump union front 

• Hook 'Em 1

I missed the game as I was traveling for work today, but explain something to me. How does Hader get credited with a save when it was 6-1 and bases loaded as he entered the game?  I didn't know that a pitcher could allow inherited runners to score to close the gap to >3 during the inning in which they earn the Save. If he doesn't allow any rims, then there is no Save, right? 

Screenshot_20240916_011710_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0e27b83b18a19456040ec92933e53e53.jpg

Edited by Dutchrudder

14 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I missed the game as I was traveling for work today, but explain something to me. How does Hader get credited with a save when it was 6-1 and bases loaded as he entered the game?  I didn't know that a pitcher could allow inherited runners to score to close the gap to >3 during the inning in which they earn the Save. If he doesn't allow any rims, then there is no Save, right? 

Screenshot_20240916_011710_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0e27b83b18a19456040ec92933e53e53.jpg

From what I remember about the rules (that I haven't checked in awhile) they consider it a save situation if the tying run is in the on-deck circle when the pitcher comes in (or if they pitch 3+ innings to close out the game/win)

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

From what I remember about the rules (that I haven't checked in awhile) they consider it a save situation if the tying run is in the on-deck circle when the pitcher comes in (or if they pitch 3+ innings to close out the game/win)

This is right I think. So, 5 runs is the max lead to get a save if the guy doesn't go 3 innings. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is right I think. So, 5 runs is the max lead to get a save if the guy doesn't go 3 innings. 

Correct

still annoyed ort/Ferguson didn’t do their job and we had to use Hader in the first place with the Padres up next 

Edited by UTexasFight

8 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Correct

Can someone explain the logic of this? Saves in general are kind of a fluff stat to me but this seems extra egregious for a meaningless stat imo

47 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Can someone explain the logic of this? Saves in general are kind of a fluff stat to me but this seems extra egregious for a meaningless stat imo

Sure.  Normal deal is a 3 run lead if you start out with the bases loaded.  So, tying runner is in the hole.  

If you come in and the bases are juiced up 5, tying runner is on deck and you get a save. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure.  Normal deal is a 3 run lead if you start out with the bases loaded.  So, tying runner is in the hole.  

If you come in and the bases are juiced up 5, tying runner is on deck and you get a save. 

I read this 10 times and don’t get it.

i think you meant:

Normal deal is a 3 run lead if you start out with a clean inning/no one on.  So, tying runner is in the hole.  

but yeah, the idea is that you get more of a cushion to save a game if you come in and clean up a mess you inherited.

26 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I read this 10 times and don’t get it.

i think you meant:

Normal deal is a 3 run lead if you start out with a clean inning/no one on.  So, tying runner is in the hole.  

but yeah, the idea is that you get more of a cushion to save a game if you come in and clean up a mess you inherited.

Yes- that is what I meant.