Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

It has to be asked… does Altuve make that play?

So maybe we actually have to thank Miller for being a shitty ump and running him?

See:

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It crossed my mind when Altuve got ejected that baseball gods may allow grae to have a game saving catch on a liner that Altuve couldn’t get to. I figured it would be above his head, but that works too. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I kept a promise to myself to just suffer through the ending so I could miss the traffic jam at home before heading to bed. From the moment Neris bounced his very first pitch past Diaz to allow the ghost runner to third and a 1-0 count, I was absolutely certain they were scoring the tying run AT BEST and we were likely getting walked off to lose it. Never once thought we had a chance at all to actually close that game out in the 10th, until Kessinger made that incredible play. I still cannot believe Tyler Wade didn't score on Neris' walk to Elias Diaz. How was he not breaking home there? That ball got far enough away from Yainer that I thought he would have scored if he'd gone right away. And Neris getting Arraez to ground out up the middle followed by a K of Tatis Jr??? Nails. Still didn't think that was gonna be enough though with Machado at the plate with the bases loaded. I cannot believe that review on the HBP to Profar. What the fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I hadn't seen Profar go off on the umps after the game. Even he was pissed about not getting hit by the pitch.

Yeah that was odd, I get him wanting to be the walk-off hero but why would you not want to take your base to at least put pressure on the opposing pitcher to throw strikes since a walk or another hbp scores the tying run?

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Only 4 in the loss column. 
Astros 1 more Cleveland loss away from controlling their own destiny for the 2 seed. 

Yeah was just going to quote the post above about Cleveland’s magic number for the 2 seed being 7… just like ours for the west.

but anyone with a brain would feel much more comfortable with our chances for running down Cleveland than Seattle running down us 

44 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I kept a promise to myself to just suffer through the ending so I could miss the traffic jam at home before heading to bed. From the moment Neris bounced his very first pitch past Diaz to allow the ghost runner to third and a 1-0 count, I was absolutely certain they were scoring the tying run AT BEST and we were likely getting walked off to lose it. Never once thought we had a chance at all to actually close that game out in the 10th, until Kessinger made that incredible play. I still cannot believe Tyler Wade didn't score on Neris' walk to Elias Diaz. How was he not breaking home there? That ball got far enough away from Yainer that I thought he would have scored if he'd gone right away. And Neris getting Arraez to ground out up the middle followed by a K of Tatis Jr??? Nails. Still didn't think that was gonna be enough though with Machado at the plate with the bases loaded. I cannot believe that review on the HBP to Profar. What the fuck.

A really slipshod performance by the officials (onsite and in NY) made what was already a crazy game even wilder. Can't recall ever having players from both sides angry about the same HBP call. Profar's indignation at the end suggested he was more into being the hero than winning. Was a miracle for us to escape with a W. Made the Eagles-Falcons ending look routine. 

103.2 off the bat on machado’s ground out. Before the first game of the series, Blum was talking about San Diego’s field being one of the best/playing very true. But I don’t think he was talking about a play like that: a ball that bounced off the top of the mound, in between the pitcher’s legs, then a short hop behind the bag. Like a diabolical windmill putt putt hole where instead of you putting a ball in to a hole, it’s blasted towards you at over 100 mph 

such a damn good play